Intermittent USB Ports.

September 1, 2005 11:29:03 AM

Hey all, Two USB ports on the back of my laptop. Doesn't matter what I plug
in, seems to take it and turn on, then turn off, then turn on, constantly!
It's like it's rediscovering the USB device over and over. (mind you,
sometimes it will work for a good 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.) I have
checked the Power Save option on the device, re-installed the USB Drivers,
still no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks for your support. Sincerely, Geoffrey.

More about : intermittent usb ports

September 1, 2005 12:44:03 PM

When you are experiencing this problem, is your laptop on battery power
or on AC adapter? Sounds like your battery is getting low.
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Geoffrey" wrote:

> Hey all, Two USB ports on the back of my laptop. Doesn't matter what I plug
> in, seems to take it and turn on, then turn off, then turn on, constantly!
> It's like it's rediscovering the USB device over and over. (mind you,
> sometimes it will work for a good 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.) I have
> checked the Power Save option on the device, re-installed the USB Drivers,
> still no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks for your support. Sincerely, Geoffrey.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 12:26:09 PM

no, I am on AC power, Always. The USB (all devices connected) will stay on
for 5 minutes, then re-discover, re-discover 4 times within 5 seconds,
connect for 20 minutes, re-discover 1 time, and so on and so on... It's
extrememly intermittent. I was just hoping I could find some sort of fix
before I narrowed it down to a hardware issue. Thanks a lot for your reply
Byte. -Geoffrey.

"Byte" wrote:

> When you are experiencing this problem, is your laptop on battery power
> or on AC adapter? Sounds like your battery is getting low.
> --
> XP-WNP
> Today is the first day of the
> rest of your life.
>

> "Geoffrey" wrote:
>
> > Hey all, Two USB ports on the back of my laptop. Doesn't matter what I plug
> > in, seems to take it and turn on, then turn off, then turn on, constantly!
> > It's like it's rediscovering the USB device over and over. (mind you,
> > sometimes it will work for a good 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.) I have
> > checked the Power Save option on the device, re-installed the USB Drivers,
> > still no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks for your support. Sincerely, Geoffrey.
Related resources
September 3, 2005 7:42:17 PM

check this out:

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBT/tip9700/rh9708.htm

also, inspect the connectors carefully (at the laptop), do they look
sound, or "wiggly". These connectors are usually mounted directly on the
motherboard, and harsh handling can crack/loosen them to the point that
they become intermittant.

another possibility is a bios bug, check for a bios update.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:18:12 AM

"Geoffrey" <Geoffrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey all, Two USB ports on the back of my laptop. Doesn't matter what I
> plug
> in, seems to take it and turn on, then turn off, then turn on, constantly!
> It's like it's rediscovering the USB device over and over. (mind you,
> sometimes it will work for a good 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.) I have
> checked the Power Save option on the device, re-installed the USB Drivers,
> still no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks for your support. Sincerely,
> Geoffrey.

Hey Geo, Try cleanning the contacts on the device, with electrical contact
cleanner, or blow on the contacts before installing the device. (an old
gameboy trick)

JOHNC
!