Hey all, Two USB ports on the back of my laptop. Doesn't matter what I plug
in, seems to take it and turn on, then turn off, then turn on, constantly!
It's like it's rediscovering the USB device over and over. (mind you,
sometimes it will work for a good 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.) I have
checked the Power Save option on the device, re-installed the USB Drivers,
still no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks for your support. Sincerely, Geoffrey.

Byte

When you are experiencing this problem, is your laptop on battery power
or on AC adapter? Sounds like your battery is getting low.
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Geoffrey" wrote:

> Hey all, Two USB ports on the back of my laptop. Doesn't matter what I plug
> in, seems to take it and turn on, then turn off, then turn on, constantly!
> It's like it's rediscovering the USB device over and over. (mind you,
> sometimes it will work for a good 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.) I have
> checked the Power Save option on the device, re-installed the USB Drivers,
> still no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks for your support. Sincerely, Geoffrey.

no, I am on AC power, Always. The USB (all devices connected) will stay on
for 5 minutes, then re-discover, re-discover 4 times within 5 seconds,
connect for 20 minutes, re-discover 1 time, and so on and so on... It's
extrememly intermittent. I was just hoping I could find some sort of fix
before I narrowed it down to a hardware issue. Thanks a lot for your reply
Byte. -Geoffrey.

"Byte" wrote:

> When you are experiencing this problem, is your laptop on battery power
> or on AC adapter? Sounds like your battery is getting low.
> --
> XP-WNP
> Today is the first day of the
> rest of your life.
>

> "Geoffrey" wrote:
>
> > Hey all, Two USB ports on the back of my laptop. Doesn't matter what I plug
> > in, seems to take it and turn on, then turn off, then turn on, constantly!
> > It's like it's rediscovering the USB device over and over. (mind you,
> > sometimes it will work for a good 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.) I have
> > checked the Power Save option on the device, re-installed the USB Drivers,
> > still no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks for your support. Sincerely, Geoffrey.

frodo

check this out:

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBT/tip9700/rh9708.htm

also, inspect the connectors carefully (at the laptop), do they look
sound, or "wiggly". These connectors are usually mounted directly on the
motherboard, and harsh handling can crack/loosen them to the point that
they become intermittant.

another possibility is a bios bug, check for a bios update.

"Geoffrey" <Geoffrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey all, Two USB ports on the back of my laptop. Doesn't matter what I
> plug
> in, seems to take it and turn on, then turn off, then turn on, constantly!
> It's like it's rediscovering the USB device over and over. (mind you,
> sometimes it will work for a good 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.) I have
> checked the Power Save option on the device, re-installed the USB Drivers,
> still no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks for your support. Sincerely,
> Geoffrey.

Hey Geo, Try cleanning the contacts on the device, with electrical contact
cleanner, or blow on the contacts before installing the device. (an old
gameboy trick)

JOHNC

mrpibb64

Commendable
May 27, 2016
i have been working with usb ports, usb/serial converters with program control of external devices, on both windows and linux over the years.

i am also an EE so i can tell you that the problem is most likely a hardware/mechanical issue. as some mentioned before, in some cases the port connection is not strain relieved, so when port is tugged and pulled on the only give is at the soldered pads. the usb connector does NOT have the same built in strain relief like the rs232 rs422 rs485 external mating connectors have. so as a result, the connectivity of the solder pads of vcc, d+, d- and ground have become compromised.

further, on the usb 3.0 male connector, this was poorly designed; i first had the problem with the limited insertion/extraction cycles with the connector. or this was planned obsolescence to get you to buy more! this is the same sort of deal when i had my old nissan pickup versus when i got a new one, once there were grease fittings at all the joints but now they are all gone!!! clearly what has to be done here to extend the life of this connector is to keep that channel in the center clean. since it is kind of small it will take some special files and magnifying glass to do a thorough job.

so until and if a new strain relief becomes available, i will have to build test fixtures to strain relief this connector; so only plug it in once and leave it plugged in with my own strain relief for the foreseeable future and the lifetime use of the product.

cheers