Slipstreaming SP2 on 2 Dell XP installations

ahall

I have two Dell machines with XP Pro.

I want to make a slipstreamed version of
the XP Pro CD.

Do I need to make one for each machine,
or would one do for both? I guess I am
asking if there is a license key on the
CD.

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

One is fine. It still won't ask for a license key on either machine.
<ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

> I have two Dell machines with XP Pro.
>
> I want to make a slipstreamed version of
> the XP Pro CD.
>
> Do I need to make one for each machine,
> or would one do for both? I guess I am
> asking if there is a license key on the
> CD.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Tom, I take it from your response that there is no problem
slipstreaming Dell's XP Pro with SP2? [XP Pro as supplied with the
4600 series in mid year.]

I ask because I saw a discussion of slipstreaming somewhere recently
and they said there can be problems doing it with some OEM versions of
XP. They mentioned Dell as an example; but it was a bit ambiguous as
to whether Dell was just an example of an OEM, or an example of the
problem!

In article <TqOdnXTGnuVQEvfcRVn-gw@comcast.com>, "Tom Scales"
<tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>One is fine. It still won't ask for a license key on either machine.
><ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have two Dell machines with XP Pro.
>>
>> I want to make a slipstreamed version of
>> the XP Pro CD.
>>
>> Do I need to make one for each machine,
>> or would one do for both? I guess I am
>> asking if there is a license key on the
>> CD.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

ahall

Phred> Tom, I take it from your response that there is no problem
Phred> slipstreaming Dell's XP Pro with SP2? [XP Pro as supplied with the
Phred> 4600 series in mid year.]

Phred> I ask because I saw a discussion of slipstreaming somewhere recently
Phred> and they said there can be problems doing it with some OEM versions of
Phred> XP. They mentioned Dell as an example; but it was a bit ambiguous as
Phred> to whether Dell was just an example of an OEM, or an example of the
Phred> problem!

I did it with SP1 and last night with SP2.

I did a system restore from full backup when
my hard drive failed with the slipstreamed SP1.

I booted with the new SP2 disk last night.

Roxio did need to change the name of the OEM directory
before burning, but that does not seem to be an issue.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Yes, you can. Some of the newer Dell XP CDs require the deletion of a few
files before you wed SP2 with XP.

"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Tom, I take it from your response that there is no problem
> slipstreaming Dell's XP Pro with SP2? [XP Pro as supplied with the
> 4600 series in mid year.]
>
> I ask because I saw a discussion of slipstreaming somewhere recently
> and they said there can be problems doing it with some OEM versions of
> XP. They mentioned Dell as an example; but it was a bit ambiguous as
> to whether Dell was just an example of an OEM, or an example of the
> problem!
>
> In article <TqOdnXTGnuVQEvfcRVn-gw@comcast.com>, "Tom Scales"
> <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>One is fine. It still won't ask for a license key on either machine.
>><ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have two Dell machines with XP Pro.
>>>
>>> I want to make a slipstreamed version of
>>> the XP Pro CD.
>>>
>>> Do I need to make one for each machine,
>>> or would one do for both? I guess I am
>>> asking if there is a license key on the
>>> CD.
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

I tried slipstreaming using a Win XP Home Dell CD. The application (nlite)
gave me an error message - something about hotfixes or patches already
installed. It still wrote an ISO file, but I do not know whether it is any
good!

Guy

> Phred> Tom, I take it from your response that there is no problem
> Phred> slipstreaming Dell's XP Pro with SP2? [XP Pro as supplied with
> the
> Phred> 4600 series in mid year.]
>
> Phred> I ask because I saw a discussion of slipstreaming somewhere
> recently
> Phred> and they said there can be problems doing it with some OEM
> versions of
> Phred> XP. They mentioned Dell as an example; but it was a bit
> ambiguous as
> Phred> to whether Dell was just an example of an OEM, or an example of
> the
> Phred> problem!
>
> I did it with SP1 and last night with SP2.
>
> I did a system restore from full backup when
> my hard drive failed with the slipstreamed SP1.
>
> I booted with the new SP2 disk last night.
>
> Roxio did need to change the name of the OEM directory
> before burning, but that does not seem to be an issue.
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Ok - the message reads: " This service pack cannot be integrated into a
destination that also has integrated software updates. Consult the service
pack documentation for more details about supported integration scenarios."
Then error - there was something wrong with the slipstraemaing.

Any idea how to get around this? Just learned about this slipstreaming
process!

Guy
"Guy" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>I tried slipstreaming using a Win XP Home Dell CD. The application (nlite)
>gave me an error message - something about hotfixes or patches already
>installed. It still wrote an ISO file, but I do not know whether it is any
>good!
>
> Guy
> <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Phred> Tom, I take it from your response that there is no problem
>> Phred> slipstreaming Dell's XP Pro with SP2? [XP Pro as supplied with
>> the
>> Phred> 4600 series in mid year.]
>>
>> Phred> I ask because I saw a discussion of slipstreaming somewhere
>> recently
>> Phred> and they said there can be problems doing it with some OEM
>> versions of
>> Phred> XP. They mentioned Dell as an example; but it was a bit
>> ambiguous as
>> Phred> to whether Dell was just an example of an OEM, or an example of
>> the
>> Phred> problem!
>>
>> I did it with SP1 and last night with SP2.
>>
>> I did a system restore from full backup when
>> my hard drive failed with the slipstreamed SP1.
>>
>> I booted with the new SP2 disk last night.
>>
>> Roxio did need to change the name of the OEM directory
>> before burning, but that does not seem to be an issue.
>>

>> --
>> Andrew Hall
>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

After you copy the XP CD to your hard drive, delete the folder that has the
updates. Then slipstream it.

> Ok - the message reads: " This service pack cannot be integrated into a
> destination that also has integrated software updates. Consult the
> service pack documentation for more details about supported integration
> scenarios." Then error - there was something wrong with the
> slipstraemaing.
>
> Any idea how to get around this? Just learned about this slipstreaming
> process!
>
> Guy
> "Guy" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>>I tried slipstreaming using a Win XP Home Dell CD. The application
>>(nlite) gave me an error message - something about hotfixes or patches
>>already installed. It still wrote an ISO file, but I do not know whether
>>it is any good!
>>
>> Guy
>> <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Phred> Tom, I take it from your response that there is no problem
>>> Phred> slipstreaming Dell's XP Pro with SP2? [XP Pro as supplied with
>>> the
>>> Phred> 4600 series in mid year.]
>>>
>>> Phred> I ask because I saw a discussion of slipstreaming somewhere
>>> recently
>>> Phred> and they said there can be problems doing it with some OEM
>>> versions of
>>> Phred> XP. They mentioned Dell as an example; but it was a bit
>>> ambiguous as
>>> Phred> to whether Dell was just an example of an OEM, or an example of
>>> the
>>> Phred> problem!
>>>
>>> I did it with SP1 and last night with SP2.
>>>
>>> I did a system restore from full backup when
>>> my hard drive failed with the slipstreamed SP1.
>>>
>>> I booted with the new SP2 disk last night.
>>>
>>> Roxio did need to change the name of the OEM directory
>>> before burning, but that does not seem to be an issue.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Andrew Hall
>>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

ahall

Guy> Ok - the message reads: " This service pack cannot be integrated into a
Guy> destination that also has integrated software updates. Consult the service
Guy> pack documentation for more details about supported integration scenarios."
Guy> Then error - there was something wrong with the slipstraemaing.

Guy> Any idea how to get around this? Just learned about this slipstreaming
Guy> process!

I copied the original XP-CD onto my c drive as the site
to integrate SP2 into.

--

In article <3-CdnR7SrfiI5vHcRVn-jw@adelphia.com>, "Guy" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
>I tried slipstreaming using a Win XP Home Dell CD. The application (nlite)
>gave me an error message - something about hotfixes or patches already
>installed. It still wrote an ISO file, but I do not know whether it is any good!

Did the error look like the one mentioned towards the top of:
<http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html> ?

>Guy
><ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
>> Phred> Tom, I take it from your response that there is no problem
>> Phred> slipstreaming Dell's XP Pro with SP2? [XP Pro as supplied with
>> Phred> the 4600 series in mid year.]
>>
>> Phred> I ask because I saw a discussion of slipstreaming somewhere recently
>> Phred> and they said there can be problems doing it with some OEM versions of
>> Phred> XP. They mentioned Dell as an example; but it was a bit ambiguous as
>> Phred> to whether Dell was just an example of an OEM, or an example of the
>> Phred> problem!
>>
>> I did it with SP1 and last night with SP2.
>>
>> I did a system restore from full backup when
>> my hard drive failed with the slipstreamed SP1.
>>
>> I booted with the new SP2 disk last night.
>>
>> Roxio did need to change the name of the OEM directory
>> before burning, but that does not seem to be an issue.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Follow these instructions:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_svcpacks&message.id=283

"Guy" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> Ok - the message reads: " This service pack cannot be integrated into a
> destination that also has integrated software updates. Consult the
> service pack documentation for more details about supported integration
> scenarios." Then error - there was something wrong with the
> slipstraemaing.
>
> Any idea how to get around this? Just learned about this slipstreaming
> process!
>
> Guy
> "Guy" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>>I tried slipstreaming using a Win XP Home Dell CD. The application
>>(nlite) gave me an error message - something about hotfixes or patches
>>already installed. It still wrote an ISO file, but I do not know whether
>>it is any good!
>>
>> Guy
>> <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Phred> Tom, I take it from your response that there is no problem
>>> Phred> slipstreaming Dell's XP Pro with SP2? [XP Pro as supplied with
>>> the
>>> Phred> 4600 series in mid year.]
>>>
>>> Phred> I ask because I saw a discussion of slipstreaming somewhere
>>> recently
>>> Phred> and they said there can be problems doing it with some OEM
>>> versions of
>>> Phred> XP. They mentioned Dell as an example; but it was a bit
>>> ambiguous as
>>> Phred> to whether Dell was just an example of an OEM, or an example of
>>> the
>>> Phred> problem!
>>>
>>> I did it with SP1 and last night with SP2.
>>>
>>> I did a system restore from full backup when
>>> my hard drive failed with the slipstreamed SP1.
>>>
>>> I booted with the new SP2 disk last night.
>>>
>>> Roxio did need to change the name of the OEM directory
>>> before burning, but that does not seem to be an issue.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Andrew Hall
>>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

try this first. Delete the svcpack.ini file and svcpack folder in the i386
folder of the winxp cd you copied to your hd.

"Guy" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> Ok - the message reads: " This service pack cannot be integrated into a
> destination that also has integrated software updates. Consult the
> service pack documentation for more details about supported integration
> scenarios." Then error - there was something wrong with the
> slipstraemaing.
>
> Any idea how to get around this? Just learned about this slipstreaming
> process!
>
> Guy
> "Guy" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>>I tried slipstreaming using a Win XP Home Dell CD. The application
>>(nlite) gave me an error message - something about hotfixes or patches
>>already installed. It still wrote an ISO file, but I do not know whether
>>it is any good!
>>
>> Guy
>> <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Phred> Tom, I take it from your response that there is no problem
>>> Phred> slipstreaming Dell's XP Pro with SP2? [XP Pro as supplied with
>>> the
>>> Phred> 4600 series in mid year.]
>>>
>>> Phred> I ask because I saw a discussion of slipstreaming somewhere
>>> recently
>>> Phred> and they said there can be problems doing it with some OEM
>>> versions of
>>> Phred> XP. They mentioned Dell as an example; but it was a bit
>>> ambiguous as
>>> Phred> to whether Dell was just an example of an OEM, or an example of
>>> the
>>> Phred> problem!
>>>
>>> I did it with SP1 and last night with SP2.
>>>
>>> I did a system restore from full backup when
>>> my hard drive failed with the slipstreamed SP1.
>>>
>>> I booted with the new SP2 disk last night.
>>>
>>> Roxio did need to change the name of the OEM directory
>>> before burning, but that does not seem to be an issue.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Andrew Hall
>>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

That's the error - the site says this type of CD can't be slipstreamed.
Another post here says to delete the SVCPACK folder and ini file.

Guy
> In article <3-CdnR7SrfiI5vHcRVn-jw@adelphia.com>, "Guy"
> <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
>>I tried slipstreaming using a Win XP Home Dell CD. The application
>>(nlite)
>>gave me an error message - something about hotfixes or patches already
>>installed. It still wrote an ISO file, but I do not know whether it is
>>any good!
>
> Did the error look like the one mentioned towards the top of:
> <http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html> ?
>
>>Guy
>><ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
>>> Phred> Tom, I take it from your response that there is no problem
>>> Phred> slipstreaming Dell's XP Pro with SP2? [XP Pro as supplied with
>>> Phred> the 4600 series in mid year.]
>>>
>>> Phred> I ask because I saw a discussion of slipstreaming somewhere
>>> recently
>>> Phred> and they said there can be problems doing it with some OEM
>>> versions of
>>> Phred> XP. They mentioned Dell as an example; but it was a bit
>>> ambiguous as
>>> Phred> to whether Dell was just an example of an OEM, or an example of
>>> the
>>> Phred> problem!
>>>
>>> I did it with SP1 and last night with SP2.
>>>
>>> I did a system restore from full backup when
>>> my hard drive failed with the slipstreamed SP1.
>>>
>>> I booted with the new SP2 disk last night.
>>>
>>> Roxio did need to change the name of the OEM directory
>>> before burning, but that does not seem to be an issue.
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Deleted svcpack.ini and svcpack folder as suggested - worked fine.

Thanks everyone!

> That's the error - the site says this type of CD can't be slipstreamed.
> Another post here says to delete the SVCPACK folder and ini file.
>
> Guy
> "Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> In article <3-CdnR7SrfiI5vHcRVn-jw@adelphia.com>, "Guy"
>> <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
>>>I tried slipstreaming using a Win XP Home Dell CD. The application
>>>(nlite)
>>>gave me an error message - something about hotfixes or patches already
>>>installed. It still wrote an ISO file, but I do not know whether it is
>>>any good!
>>
>> Did the error look like the one mentioned towards the top of:
>> <http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html> ?
>>
>>>Guy
>>><ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

>> Cheers, Phred.
>>
>> --
>> ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

No, it is not good. I did the same, and when I went through the trouble of
reinstalling from scratch, it was still SP1.

"Guy" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>I tried slipstreaming using a Win XP Home Dell CD. The application (nlite)
>gave me an error message - something about hotfixes or patches already
>installed. It still wrote an ISO file, but I do not know whether it is any
>good!
>
> Guy
> <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Phred> Tom, I take it from your response that there is no problem
>> Phred> slipstreaming Dell's XP Pro with SP2? [XP Pro as supplied with
>> the
>> Phred> 4600 series in mid year.]
>>
>> Phred> I ask because I saw a discussion of slipstreaming somewhere
>> recently
>> Phred> and they said there can be problems doing it with some OEM
>> versions of
>> Phred> XP. They mentioned Dell as an example; but it was a bit
>> ambiguous as
>> Phred> to whether Dell was just an example of an OEM, or an example of
>> the
>> Phred> problem!
>>
>> I did it with SP1 and last night with SP2.
>>
>> I did a system restore from full backup when
>> my hard drive failed with the slipstreamed SP1.
>>
>> I booted with the new SP2 disk last night.
>>
>> Roxio did need to change the name of the OEM directory
>> before burning, but that does not seem to be an issue.
>>

>> --
>> Andrew Hall
>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

If you follow the instructions, it will work.

"Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> No, it is not good. I did the same, and when I went through the trouble
> of reinstalling from scratch, it was still SP1.

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

I did the slipstreaming, was able to burn a bootable CD. It boots, starts
write down. So back to the drawing board for now.

Guy