When I set chkdsk to run on next boot, and it finds a bunch of stuff
wrong, what is the log file where I can see what it found/repaired?

I see .evt and .edb, but they are still in use, so must not be the
ones...

thanx

otis wrote:
> When I set chkdsk to run on next boot, and it finds a bunch of stuff
> wrong, what is the log file where I can see what it found/repaired?
>
> I see .evt and .edb, but they are still in use, so must not be the ones...

These should be in the event log viewable by going to Control Panel,
Adminstrative Tools, Event Viewer.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

that Event Viewer is a waste. all it tells me is what the 'Services'
are doing/not doing.

there is NO log of the files chkdsk trashed or repaired or rebuilt
from cab.

is there no such log?

thanx

otis wrote:
> that Event Viewer is a waste. all it tells me is what the 'Services'
> are doing/not doing.
>
> there is NO log of the files chkdsk trashed or repaired or rebuilt from
> cab.
>
> is there no such log?

Filter the application event log where event source is winlogon and
event ID is 1001.

When chkdsk runs at boot it logs what it does to a file called
bootex.log in the root of the drive being checked. When it completes
and the system boots, the contents of bootex.log are moved into the
application event log under the source and ID mentioned above.

AFAIK, that is the only logging that is done by a boot time disk check.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Now, THAT's a reply. Thank you.

please remember, we are not clairvoyant/or XPerts. give us the full
skinny.

preciate that.

Tom Porterfield wrote:
> otis wrote:
>
>> that Event Viewer is a waste. all it tells me is what the 'Services'
>> are doing/not doing.
>>
>> there is NO log of the files chkdsk trashed or repaired or rebuilt
>> from cab.
>>
>> is there no such log?
>

> Filter the application event log where event source is winlogon and
> event ID is 1001.
>
> When chkdsk runs at boot it logs what it does to a file called
> bootex.log in the root of the drive being checked. When it completes
> and the system boots, the contents of bootex.log are moved into the
> application event log under the source and ID mentioned above.
>
> AFAIK, that is the only logging that is done by a boot time disk check.

Take a look at Event Viewer: Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'eventvwr.msc' and click OK. Select the Application report and examine all the events with the 'Winlogon' source.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín