CHKDSK deleting system files?

BenW-50

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Hello,

Not sure if this is in the right place

I recently built a windows 7 computer and It has been running great. However, about a fortnight ago my computer ran CHKDSK, said that it has deleted some files and now I can't get past the windows loading screen even in safe mode. Startup repair didn't help and the installation CD didn't recognise the OS thus not allowing me to go into repair mode. I reinstalled the OS, but just today it has happened again. Any help would be apreciated.

My specs are below

Core i5 3470
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V
AMD radeon HD 7850
8gb Ram
1TB Seagate Barracuda
500W CoolerMaster PSU

Solution

Hi,

There are very few 500 watt power supplies that have a 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector but not altogether...

BenW-50

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Just ran chkdsk C: /f/r from command prompt in windows recovery. It came up with "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems". Still can't get into OS.

Do you have any other ideas for how I can find out what's wrong?

BenW-50

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Thanks for your help

Just ran SeaTools for Dos - again nothing came up. Should I reinstall Windows 7 again and hope for the best or is there something else that I can do to test my HDD

Hi :)

As long as Seatools ran in DOS (NOT windows dos) then your hd should be fine...if not do what I said...

All the best Brett :)

BenW-50

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Thanks for the reply

like you say the problem almost certainly won't be with the hard drive because if it was Seatools would have caught it. Should I just re install windows and hope the problem goes away - or try additional diagnostics or a different OS?

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Hi,

There are very few 500 watt power supplies that have a 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector but not altogether not impossible however it could be that you are using a molex cable or some other attachment or not using a 6-pin connector and making use of only the 4 pin connector in the 6-pin GPU connector port, confirmation by you would rule out any discrepancies.

500 watt is barely good enough and you may be running at full steam for most of the PC session and this may be overheating your motherboard. I'd suggest about 650 watt or 720 watt PSU (PSU watts differ per country as in Australia the preferred PSU would be at least 720 watts for this type of rig).

The reason that chkdsk would initiate on its own accord would be due to hdd errors, perhaps an incorrect shut down or restart has fragmented the hdd. Do you allow the chkdsk to proceed or do you quit the procedure continue to desktop? Quitting the procedure at startup will not stop it from running again at next start up, you have to allow it to proceed.

As you say, it ran itself and deleted files, those files would have only been tmp (temp) files often deleted even scandisk (option) but it could be that you never shut down the PC and use standby/hibernation mode and at some stage, a power outage has corrupted your startup files. try a epair with he OS disk, it may be your only salvation.

Solution