what does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?

What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
much as I do ?

My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
on vacation ...

I would love to know what your wife thinks

Ralph
55 answers Last reply
More about what wife pinball addiction

    My wife thinks I am NUTS ! but she has one game she likes and as long
    as I keep that I am in the clear !

    You married a good woman sir.

    My wife has played a total of 5 times on my first pin that I bought one
    year ago. NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER.

    I believe that she views my new found interest as competition for new
    drapes/sofa/bedroom set/ vacations etc...

    Likely many other wives feel the same way.

    I justify it this way..."honey would you rather I buy a motorcycle or a
    pinball machine". I will know she still loves me as long as her
    response continues to be a pinball machine.

    rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > much as I do ?
    >
    > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > on vacation ...
    >
    > I would love to know what your wife thinks
    >
    > Ralph

    When I first starting collecting, she kinda raised an eyebrow. Now I
    catch her in the middle of the night playing either WW or RS. Looking
    for a FH, but she thinks Rudy is evil and doesn't want him in the
    house. Still working on her.

    Joe

    Hates pins and is tollerant of the fact that the spare bedroom is the
    games room.This weekend having a few pinheads around for a mini meet.
    "I'll go out with JJ(our son)and leave you saddos to it".

    Says it all really

    Chrispoibug

    My wife had been bugging me for years to find a hobby. She is
    thrilled! She loves the pins, although she can't play as much as she
    likes because the flashing lights seem to trigger her migraines. So
    I'm looking for a vid for her. She likes Mr. Do, anyone have one?

    rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > much as I do ?
    >
    > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > on vacation ...
    >
    > I would love to know what your wife thinks
    >
    > Ralph

    This is obviously a sick joke. Wives hate pinball.

    Mine is ok with it, as long as we at least have boloney and toilet
    paper. I have to let her fold clothes on the games though.
    Whats funny is I made out a list of our games, and told her I was
    thinking about selling half of them this fall, to get some revenue. She
    looked at the list, and saw my "keepers" and picked out the ones that
    SHE wanted to keep. Of course that left like two to sell, which isnt
    really going to help us any. Which was really my whole plan anyway.
    Overall, shes extremely good, and is way past that, "how many do you
    need" phase.
    My mother in law however, sheesh!.

    Del

    My wife has to this day never played a single game. The only time she
    goes in the basement is when we have people over for parties. The
    guests love the machines so she pretends to tolerate my hobby, but when
    nobody is around she "hates what I've done to the basement!!"

    Bill

    rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > much as I do ?
    >
    > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > on vacation ...
    >
    > I would love to know what your wife thinks
    >
    > Ralph

    Ditto, only she has played fewer games. The only way she would spend
    any time in the gameroom though, is if I buy a Ms. Pac Man vid. Aint
    gonna happen...

    Not married but my girlfriend loves to play Dracula...she's probably a
    keeper!

    Robert

    Mine played one game.

    GRY

    <reedwil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > My wife has to this day never played a single game. The only time she
    > goes in the basement is when we have people over for parties. The
    > guests love the machines so she pretends to tolerate my hobby, but when
    > nobody is around she "hates what I've done to the basement!!"
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    >> What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    >> Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    >> much as I do ?
    >>
    >> My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    >> on vacation ...
    >>
    >> I would love to know what your wife thinks
    >>
    >> Ralph

    > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?

    Not much.

    She's probably played about a half dozen games *total* since I've been in
    the hobby. This is going on five years now! Sniff.... sniff, as I wipe a
    tear. : (

    Yeah, I'm jealous of the guys that have total support of the spouse in this
    crazy hobby. Hey, at least pinball keeps me out of the bars! : )

    Mike

    Hobbyist / Collector "00"

    My wife loves my machines. Every time I buy a new pin, she gets to
    decorate another room in the house.

    She acually plays them too. I went downstairs the other night to help
    her bring the laundry up and we played for over an hour. We may have
    thrown a game of pinball in there too. :-)

    Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

    "Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
    shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
    city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

    (Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

    rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > much as I do ?
    >
    > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > on vacation ...
    >
    > I would love to know what your wife thinks
    >
    > Ralph

    My wife just sees my collection as another one of my hobbies gone wild.
    She likes the CP and will play a few others from time to time. I
    appease her by telling her it is an investment and can sell them at
    anytime. Not that I will :)

    CC, MB, TOTAN, IJ, TOM, RFM, SWE1, CP, HD

    Mine enjoys the games. She does keep trying to tell me "That's the
    last one". When we are out of town we enjoying looking for new games
    and new places to play. Also, she had a blast at CA Extreme last
    year...and we're going again. TOM is her favorite game, and we just
    got that one. I'd say overall I'm very lucky.

    Unfortunately, my wife has NO interest in ANY of my hobbies.

    The ONLY time she shows any interest in my pins is if we have a party
    and friends are playing and enjoying them. Then she acts like, "OH,
    aren't these SO cool!", "They're SO much FUN!."

    Same with my Harley. She ONLY thinks it's cool if one of our friends
    wants to go on a ride or one of her girlfriends wants to do a couples
    thing. Then it's, "OH! We just HAVE to go on a ride with them!"

    Kind of a drag around here and has even called our marriage into
    question. At least I have my son and best friend to enjoy this stuff
    with. He's going to inherit A LOT of cool stuff.

    Tim

    rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > much as I do ?
    >
    > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > on vacation ...
    >
    > I would love to know what your wife thinks
    >
    > Ralph

    Nothing, really.

    After ~30 years, I suppose she's rather used
    to the way I am.

    It's just the latest habit, (of 15 years......) . ;)

    So, no, you're not the only lucky one!

    --
    Fred
    TX

    <rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote

    > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > much as I do ?
    >
    > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > on vacation ...
    >
    > I would love to know what your wife thinks
    >
    > Ralph

    Yeah, right..... Keep these words handy, you may have to eat them!
    Ducking and running!

    Mine says, "if it makes you happy and keeps you home, just don't buy too
    many." (rrriiiiggghhhttttt)

    John!

    rwkeown@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Ditto, only she has played fewer games. The only way she would spend
    > any time in the gameroom though, is if I buy a Ms. Pac Man vid. Aint
    > gonna happen...

    My Lady is cool, umm..... too cool as she constanly kicks my But on
    "Big Hurt". Its all good though, I "Own" her on my 2 Williams games. We
    probabaly play a round of all games at least once or twice a week,
    after the kids go down, and I cant ask for more then that (Other then
    Pin Number 4 which is lurking) Hee Hee!~Pinball Bret

    My wife played TZ a few times when I got it, that was about 2 years
    ago, hasn't played a single game since. Funny thing is, she would like
    it if I sold my machines...except for my restored KISS... she tells me
    " You better never sell that one!". She just likes the way it looks..
    Bob

    There's actually an advantage to getting above a certain number......:

    wife: (demanding tone, eyeing a machine on end she thinks she hasn't
    seen before).... Where did this one come from?? Is this new?

    me: (innocently, but with a bit of consternation) oh no, I've had
    that one for awhile now.....don't you remember?

    heh, heh, heh

    Don't Ask.

    Mike O.

    My wife wasn't all that impressed with 'Flash' (too noisy?!?), and
    played maybe a handful of games on it, but she loves the EM Night Rider
    ("Now THAT'S how a pinball machine should sound!")...bah!

    Mike

    > rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    > > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > > much as I do ?
    > >
    > > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > > on vacation ...
    > >
    > > I would love to know what your wife thinks
    > >
    > > Ralph

    She's as bad as me... Just got back from a short family vac, where
    she convinced me to stuff a h*perball in the back!
    She's also the artistic side of the operation...
    no complaints here ;-)
    /Tim

    rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > much as I do ?
    >
    > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > on vacation ...
    >
    > I would love to know what your wife thinks
    >
    > Ralph

    I actually met my wife because of a pinball machine, she worked where I
    had a F-14 on location. The rest,as they, say is history!. She was
    also the reason I made what was probably my best ever pin purchase, a
    factory fresh Addams Family, which made so much money for me, that it
    enabled me to buy others. She hardly ever plays any of them now, but
    she's looking forward to my re-acquisition of the F-14 that stated it
    all!!

    If I had a wife she'd be a pinball lover just like me! Maybe that's why
    I don't have one yet ;)

    Chas

    >"We may have thrown a game of pinball in there too."

    Umm.... yeah right old man. ;-) WAKE UP SPARKIE YOU'RE HAVING A DREAM!!!

    "rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com" <rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in

    > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > much as I do ?
    >
    > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > on vacation ...
    >
    > I would love to know what your wife thinks
    >
    > Ralph

    She tolerates my hobbies, as long as they aren't *too* expensive. I have
    2 (one now working, one being repaired) - and that seems to be the limit.
    She likes my jukebox better. She only played 8-Ball once or twice, that's
    about it since I got it to live.

    mine didnt want one machine, imagine how she is reacting to number 5.
    she never plays them, dont care about them. guess i could be out
    troling for wild women instead of working on my pins, nah, couldnt do
    that to my pins

    Ctsteps5

    owner of
    71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
    74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.

    Moderator of EM Pinball Group
    http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/

    My GF surprised me the other day by telling my friend that she is
    excited to have the pinballs set up. (We just moved into a house - it
    was obvious where my priorities were - the 36 machines were lovingly
    packed and babied, along with all the spare parts, etc. but my
    furniture was thrown into the back of the truck with no packing, etc.)

    I didn't think she had that much interest in them, the machines she
    wants (for theme only) are Simpsons Pinball Party, Aadams Family,
    LOTR.... figures, she only like really expensive ones!! Where's the
    love for the early SS's????

    She's not keen on the idea of me acquiring more if possible (due to
    space constraints), she wants a pool table in the basement instead. It
    takes up too much space so that's out unless she'll give me the whole
    garage.... fat chance.

    So far I haven't hit the "you've got too many" quantity yet, but the
    basement is pretty full!

    She likes to play, and as she put it "I know where you are and what you
    are doing"

    Own: Cyclopes, Wild Fyre, Eight Ball, Big Indian, Space Station

    rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > much as I do ?
    >
    > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > on vacation ...
    >
    > I would love to know what your wife thinks
    >
    > Ralph

    rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > much as I do ?
    >
    > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > on vacation ...
    >
    > I would love to know what your wife thinks

    My wife helped me gut and remodel arcade #1, and now we're working on
    arcade #2.

    Strangely, it's usually _me_ who's diverting money away from pinball
    projects towards 'other' needs. Like THIS:

    http://www.thekorn.net/pict3221_small2.jpg

    (my house, around dusk, with the screen _up_. :) )

    I thought I was the only one like that.
    I have a Flintstones at my office just waiting to show up
    at home, when we move in a few months. She'll have no idea.

    Kenbo wrote:
    > My wife had been bugging me for years to find a hobby. She is
    > thrilled! She loves the pins, although she can't play as much as she
    > likes because the flashing lights seem to trigger her migraines. So
    > I'm looking for a vid for her. She likes Mr. Do, anyone have one?

    Ever tried killing all the flashers? (seriously; blinking lights might
    not be so bad as long as they're not BRIGHT blinking lights.)

    My wife has never had any problem with my pinball machines. She has
    never questioned a purchase, and has discouraged me from selling games.
    In fact, when we got to the point where it was getting hard to move
    around in the garage, she said "We need to do something about this"
    Fearing the worst, I waited for her to finish. She then added "we need
    to add on another thousand square feet or so for your arcade so that it
    will be more comfortable to play. Palns are on the drawing board.

    So, I guess I got lucky. She does play occasionally, but seldom plays
    a game with me because she does not like to wait while I play a long
    ball. This time of year, she seldom plays or goes outside at all, but
    that is part of the deal with living in Florida.

    Ron

    On 27 Jul 2005 07:28:11 -0700, "TheKorn@TheKorn.net"
    <TheKorn@TheKorn.net> wrote:

    >Kenbo wrote:
    >> My wife had been bugging me for years to find a hobby. She is
    >> thrilled! She loves the pins, although she can't play as much as she
    >> likes because the flashing lights seem to trigger her migraines. So
    >> I'm looking for a vid for her. She likes Mr. Do, anyone have one?
    >
    >Ever tried killing all the flashers? (seriously; blinking lights might
    >not be so bad as long as they're not BRIGHT blinking lights.)

    Thanks for the suggestion. Even the darkest of machines cause her some
    troubles. She has played some unshopped games with most of the lights
    out and still has a problem. When she does play she wears dark
    sunglasses which help a bit. It's not *just* the flashers, it's the
    fact that a lot of things are happening at once causing sensory
    overload. The neurologist says it has something to do with spinal
    fluid leaking in and out of her inner ear. Can't figure that one out
    and she's been battling it for years. It seems like older video games
    don't trigger the problem as much,

    Mike Schudel wrote:
    > > Strangely, it's usually _me_ who's diverting money away from pinball
    > > projects towards 'other' needs. Like THIS:
    > >
    > > http://www.thekorn.net/pict3221_small2.jpg
    > >
    > > (my house, around dusk, with the screen _up_. :) )
    >
    > What the hell is that I'm looking at there??? I'm confused...as usual. :-)
    >
    > What type of "screen"?

    Haha! I have a HD projector, and a motorized screen that rolls down in
    front of the picture window. (You're either watching TV, or you're
    looking out the window. But you're not watching TV _while_ you're
    looking out the window!)

    If I leave the screen rolled up (but have the projector ON), the
    projector projects directly onto the cellular shades. They're
    partially transmissive, so the net effect is that you can watch TV out
    on the lawn. If you also open the windows (without opening the
    shades), then you can hear it as well! :)

    ( image size in 16x9... 110". Almost ten feet of picture, baby! :) )

    I don't actually ever _watch_ on the lawn; I think it's a big "COME
    STEAL MY STUFF" sign. But it's fun every once in a while to show
    people who come over. :)

    >I would love to know what your wife thinks

    I turned around, asked her, didn't get a response. Same response when I
    ask her if I can buy a new pinball, motorcycle, or whatever.

    Kirb
    (yep, still single...)

    Ron,

    What part of florida do you live in ?
    I am just north of Tampa , if we are close we could get together and
    play a few games sometime

    Ralph

    Ron Donohue wrote:
    > My wife has never had any problem with my pinball machines. She has
    > never questioned a purchase, and has discouraged me from selling games.
    > In fact, when we got to the point where it was getting hard to move
    > around in the garage, she said "We need to do something about this"
    > Fearing the worst, I waited for her to finish. She then added "we need
    > to add on another thousand square feet or so for your arcade so that it
    > will be more comfortable to play. Palns are on the drawing board.
    >
    > So, I guess I got lucky. She does play occasionally, but seldom plays
    > a game with me because she does not like to wait while I play a long
    > ball. This time of year, she seldom plays or goes outside at all, but
    > that is part of the deal with living in Florida.
    >
    > Ron
    >
    > rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    > > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > > much as I do ?
    > >
    > > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > > on vacation ...
    > >
    > > I would love to know what your wife thinks
    > >
    > > Ralph

    I am in Palm Beach Gardens. I don't get over to Tampa much, but if I
    ever do I will let you know. By the same token, you are always welcome
    over here at my place if you are in the area. I will probably be at
    the auction in Orlando on the 6th if you want to meet and and chat. My
    email is rdonohue at hoyt dot org.

    Ron

    rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    > Ron,
    >
    > What part of florida do you live in ?
    > I am just north of Tampa , if we are close we could get together and
    > play a few games sometime
    >
    > Ralph
    >
    > Ron Donohue wrote:
    > > My wife has never had any problem with my pinball machines. She has
    > > never questioned a purchase, and has discouraged me from selling games.
    > > In fact, when we got to the point where it was getting hard to move
    > > around in the garage, she said "We need to do something about this"
    > > Fearing the worst, I waited for her to finish. She then added "we need
    > > to add on another thousand square feet or so for your arcade so that it
    > > will be more comfortable to play. Palns are on the drawing board.
    > >
    > > So, I guess I got lucky. She does play occasionally, but seldom plays
    > > a game with me because she does not like to wait while I play a long
    > > ball. This time of year, she seldom plays or goes outside at all, but
    > > that is part of the deal with living in Florida.
    > >
    > > Ron
    > >
    > > rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
    > > > What does your wife think of your pinball addiction ?
    > > > Am I the only lucky one here that has a wife that loves the hobby as
    > > > much as I do ?
    > > >
    > > > My wife would rather buy a pin and stay home for a week rather than go
    > > > on vacation ...
    > > >
    > > > I would love to know what your wife thinks
    > > >
    > > > Ralph

    I am assuming she likes the machines, as it is the perfect reason to
    avoid cleaning the basement, because I have parts strategically placed
    all over the freaking floor. Still trying to figure out if fixing or
    playing is more fun.

    Jim
    Taxi, TAF.
    BlackJack, Hot Tip in many parts.

    My wife thinks it's a fun hobby, but she really doesn't like to play.

    So when ever I get a high score, I put her name in the game, not mine.
    Now everyone thinks she plays all the time!!!

    Ken in Princeton
    TZ, STTNG, IJ & MM

    kirb wrote:
    > >I would love to know what your wife thinks
    >
    > I turned around, asked her, didn't get a response. Same response when I
    > ask her if I can buy a new pinball, motorcycle, or whatever.
    >
    > Kirb
    > (yep, still single...)

    Some would say it's madness to address a question to no-one. :)

    > Strangely, it's usually _me_ who's diverting money away from pinball
    > projects towards 'other' needs. Like THIS:
    >
    > http://www.thekorn.net/pict3221_small2.jpg
    >
    > (my house, around dusk, with the screen _up_. :) )

    What the hell is that I'm looking at there??? I'm confused...as usual. :-)

    What type of "screen"?

    --
    Mike S.
    Kalamazoo, MI

    Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
    W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
    M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

    She has little interest, but understands my need to have a hobby. - Q

    It's awesome most of you guys have all this space for your stuff, at
    least to "escape".. lol
    Your garage alone is a wee bit bigger than my apartment, which at one
    time housed 9 games - along with a "tolerating" wife ;)

    Marcel

    >just three cars...ABSOLUTELY nothing else...no boxes or junk anywhere

    Well, you have seen my garage- junk would be an understatement-
    3 motorcycles (one on a bike lift), hot tub (need that out of there),
    half a bowling alley, some video games, boxes and tools waiting for a
    workbench and shelfs to be built. I've got another batch of unistrut to
    make more shelves and benches. Whooohooo baby.

    I am not a junk collector, but I often stack stuff and then do a
    massive purge. I mean really, I didn't use half of that box of books in
    college, why would I need them now?

    Kirb

    > Haha! I have a HD projector, and a motorized screen that rolls down in
    > front of the picture window. (You're either watching TV, or you're
    > looking out the window. But you're not watching TV _while_ you're
    > looking out the window!)
    >
    > If I leave the screen rolled up (but have the projector ON), the
    > projector projects directly onto the cellular shades. They're
    > partially transmissive, so the net effect is that you can watch TV out
    > on the lawn. If you also open the windows (without opening the
    > shades), then you can hear it as well! :)

    Ok...I understand now what I'm looking at. :-)

    > I don't actually ever _watch_ on the lawn; I think it's a big "COME
    > STEAL MY STUFF" sign.

    This might be truer than you think. ;-)

    --
    Mike S.
    Kalamazoo, MI

    Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
    W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
    M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

    My wife is the one that started it(she just had to have a pinball machine)
    but now all she asks is that it stays in the basement.

    Then again, she did offer to put the Swe1 in the bedroom so I could get a
    SC.

    She really wants me to move the NOS Roadshow Pf out of the office.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    "Kenbo" <Kenbo@NOqsolvJUNKMAIL.com> wrote in message
    > On 27 Jul 2005 07:28:11 -0700, "TheKorn@TheKorn.net"
    > <TheKorn@TheKorn.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Kenbo wrote:
    >>> My wife had been bugging me for years to find a hobby. She is
    >>> thrilled! She loves the pins, although she can't play as much as she
    >>> likes because the flashing lights seem to trigger her migraines. So
    >>> I'm looking for a vid for her. She likes Mr. Do, anyone have one?
    >>
    >>Ever tried killing all the flashers? (seriously; blinking lights might
    >>not be so bad as long as they're not BRIGHT blinking lights.)
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. Even the darkest of machines cause her some
    > troubles. She has played some unshopped games with most of the lights
    > out and still has a problem. When she does play she wears dark
    > sunglasses which help a bit. It's not *just* the flashers, it's the
    > fact that a lot of things are happening at once causing sensory
    > overload. The neurologist says it has something to do with spinal
    > fluid leaking in and out of her inner ear. Can't figure that one out
    > and she's been battling it for years. It seems like older video games
    > don't trigger the problem as much,

Games Video Games