Sign in with
Your question

Getting directv to work in Canada

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 7, 2012 4:07:07 PM

Hello everyone,
I've read some information about this before but none of them really answers my questions.
I live in canada, i have relatives in New york city (sister). it should not be a problem for me to get a subscription with directv.
Once i get the receiver, i'm planning to bring it over here in canada, Montreal.
My question,
will i be able to get the local channels, like WABC (new york city affiliate) ??

Thanks again in advance

More about : directv work canada

September 10, 2012 2:48:04 PM

Wherever your US billing zip code is, are the local channels you get.
m
l
September 10, 2012 2:48:51 PM

thanks for the reply.
as i digged more about the subject i found that the local tv channel are transfert via spot beam. If you are not inside that spot beam, you will not get that channel. i also found some maps of spot beam depending on states. montreal is definitly far away from nyc. i concluded that i can't view them. can you confirm what i just said, am i right ? thanks a lot...
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2012 3:10:18 PM

Yes, if you're out of range of the specific transponder that carries the channel, they simply won't show up. I don't have much experience i with it, other than when my grandparents drove their RV from Colorado to Arizona, and across to Oregon, they got their local denver stations the entire time. If you're on a fringe area, you will probably end up getting it, if not, it's hit or miss. Many states share transponders as well, so you might just get lucky.

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html
m
l
September 22, 2012 4:16:25 PM

I also live in Canada and would really like Directv. I am willing to share an account with someone as I cannot subscribe without an American address. Message me if you are interested in splitting the cost of your Directv.
m
l
December 9, 2012 6:19:50 PM

Sheikali said:
I also live in Canada and would really like Directv. I am willing to share an account with someone as I cannot subscribe without an American address. Message me if you are interested in splitting the cost of your Directv.

i am interested you can contact me with a private message and we can go from there.
m
l
December 13, 2012 6:47:42 PM

I would also be willing to share an account with someone in the US, as I live in Canada also.
m
l
December 31, 2012 4:09:50 AM

Me three?
m
l
January 4, 2013 8:27:50 PM

ianw44 said:
i am interested you can contact me with a private message and we can go from there.

Hello, I too am interested in acquiring DirecTV in the Toronto area. Are you still looking for a person to split with?
m
l
January 4, 2013 8:29:41 PM

tlalis said:
I would also be willing to share an account with someone in the US, as I live in Canada also.

Did you find someone to split the costs with? I too would like DirecTV (I am in Canada too).
m
l
March 2, 2013 3:37:16 PM

I live in New Brunswick Canada and would love to find a US partner to share the cost of a Direct TV system with. If you are interested please let me know.
m
l
March 28, 2013 8:44:35 AM

Same here! I had the service here in Windsor ontario, but the guy got gready and had too many people on the system and hot busted I'm all set up with the dish and receiver. If there is anyone interested in splitting the bill please let me know.
m
l
March 29, 2013 10:49:36 AM

I am looking to share as well (I am near Toronto as well)
m
l
April 2, 2013 9:21:50 AM

I am in Windsor, Ontario and was on the same service with Aucaus. Also looking to be added to someone's account. Thanks.
m
l
April 3, 2013 5:33:45 AM

TM88 said:
I am in Windsor, Ontario and was on the same service with Aucaus. Also looking to be added to someone's account. Thanks.

that person you where getting it from ?? Named Ken per chance ?? I to am looking to get service again think of renting a Po box across the border
m
l
April 3, 2013 6:51:47 AM

edmtech said:
TM88 said:

that person you where getting it from ?? Named Ken per chance ?? I to am looking to get service again think of renting a Po box across the border

m
l
April 3, 2013 6:54:27 AM

Yep it was him. Last week was 'Black Monday.' You will need more than a PO BOX. They want a Social Security # and a physical address, as an install guy will come out.
m
l
April 3, 2013 6:55:25 AM

edmtech said:
TM88 said:

Yep it was him. Last week was 'Black Monday.' You will need more than a PO BOX. They want a Social Security # and a physical address, as an install guy will come out.
m
l
April 9, 2013 9:24:21 AM

What hardware must be purchased and where can it be purchased?
m
l
August 3, 2014 8:41:55 PM

Anyone here that was looking to share an account ever find one... I have one hd dvr receiver left on my account... first come first serve pm me
m
l
August 10, 2014 8:32:23 PM

dg5505 said:
Anyone here that was looking to share an account ever find one... I have one hd dvr receiver left on my account... first come first serve pm me

Hi, I'm interested if the sub is still available. It's been some time since I have had DTV , what equipment , excluding the dish is required and would you have such available by chance?

thanks in advance

m
l
August 11, 2014 12:03:17 AM

I hope you are all aware that! Using a directv reciver in canada when the account is located in the us violates federal us laws and it called grey market fraud and if directv finds out they will get the fbi and RCMP involved and it can result in jail time and serious fines. I know from experience I had a friend in Ontario try it and he spent 5 yrs in prison and had to pay a 1500.00 fine when he was released.
m
l
August 11, 2014 3:12:42 PM

They go after the guys selling it on a large scale and the guys that pirate it I can assure you they are not going door to door checking receivers and dishes
m
l
August 16, 2014 1:08:23 PM

Hi, I,m interesting to share a DirecTV subscription too
Etobicoke,ON,Canada
Thank you
m
l
August 16, 2014 1:29:01 PM

Sent a private message
m
l
September 11, 2014 4:42:06 PM

i actually have a PO box in NYC that i use for direct TV. I will be willing to do it for only 3 ppl. i will actually get you a PO box to use also UPS has boxes also. I trust ups more especially when you are dealing with the US GOVT (USPS). You will pay for your service and i will give you an actual key to your UPS or USPS box. I'm just doing this so Canadians can watch direct TV and pay for it. No scams or con'ing directv. IF you are interested please email me @ johnstako at gmai dot com

P.S for wnbc wabc wcbs all those local channels you WILL get if you are in the spot beam area. Just as long as you don't connect your direct TV box to your phone line. If you are out of the spot beam sorry guys no good. Also you will get NYC sports teams channels. you will not be blacked out as to watching your local sports teams you will probably be blacked out of those games.
m
l
!