Closed

Getting directv to work in Canada

Hello everyone,
I've read some information about this before but none of them really answers my questions.
I live in canada, i have relatives in New york city (sister). it should not be a problem for me to get a subscription with directv.
Once i get the receiver, i'm planning to bring it over here in canada, Montreal.
My question,
will i be able to get the local channels, like WABC (new york city affiliate) ??

Thanks again in advance
39 answers Last reply
More about getting directv work canada
  1. Wherever your US billing zip code is, are the local channels you get.
  2. thanks for the reply.
    as i digged more about the subject i found that the local tv channel are transfert via spot beam. If you are not inside that spot beam, you will not get that channel. i also found some maps of spot beam depending on states. montreal is definitly far away from nyc. i concluded that i can't view them. can you confirm what i just said, am i right ? thanks a lot...
  3. Yes, if you're out of range of the specific transponder that carries the channel, they simply won't show up. I don't have much experience i with it, other than when my grandparents drove their RV from Colorado to Arizona, and across to Oregon, they got their local denver stations the entire time. If you're on a fringe area, you will probably end up getting it, if not, it's hit or miss. Many states share transponders as well, so you might just get lucky.

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html
  4. TM88 said:
    I am in Windsor, Ontario and was on the same service with Aucaus. Also looking to be added to someone's account. Thanks.

that person you where getting it from ?? Named Ken per chance ?? I to am looking to get service again think of renting a Po box across the border
  5. Yep it was him. Last week was 'Black Monday.' You will need more than a PO BOX. They want a Social Security # and a physical address, as an install guy will come out.
  6. edmtech said:
    TM88 said:
    I am in Windsor, Ontario and was on the same service with Aucaus. Also looking to be added to someone's account. Thanks.

that person you where getting it from ?? Named Ken per chance ?? I to am looking to get service again think of renting a Po box across the border

Yep it was him. Last week was 'Black Monday.' You will need more than a PO BOX. They want a Social Security # and a physical address, as an install guy will come out.
  7. What hardware must be purchased and where can it be purchased?
  8. Anyone here that was looking to share an account ever find one... I have one hd dvr receiver left on my account... first come first serve pm me
  9. dg5505 said:
    Anyone here that was looking to share an account ever find one... I have one hd dvr receiver left on my account... first come first serve pm me

Hi, I'm interested if the sub is still available. It's been some time since I have had DTV , what equipment , excluding the dish is required and would you have such available by chance?

thanks in advance
  10. I hope you are all aware that! Using a directv reciver in canada when the account is located in the us violates federal us laws and it called grey market fraud and if directv finds out they will get the fbi and RCMP involved and it can result in jail time and serious fines. I know from experience I had a friend in Ontario try it and he spent 5 yrs in prison and had to pay a 1500.00 fine when he was released.
  11. i actually have a PO box in NYC that i use for direct TV. I will be willing to do it for only 3 ppl. i will actually get you a PO box to use also UPS has boxes also. I trust ups more especially when you are dealing with the US GOVT (USPS). You will pay for your service and i will give you an actual key to your UPS or USPS box. I'm just doing this so Canadians can watch direct TV and pay for it. No scams or con'ing directv. IF you are interested please email me @ johnstako at gmai dot com

P.S for wnbc wabc wcbs all those local channels you WILL get if you are in the spot beam area. Just as long as you don't connect your direct TV box to your phone line. If you are out of the spot beam sorry guys no good. Also you will get NYC sports teams channels. you will not be blacked out as to watching your local sports teams you will probably be blacked out of those games.
  12. Located in Windsor Ont, service got the boot. Have a receiver in hand and a dish mounted.
    Looking for a group to jump in with with Detroit locals.
  13. imissmlbnetwork said:
    Located in Windsor Ont, service got the boot. Have a receiver in hand and a dish mounted.
    Looking for a group to jump in with with Detroit locals.

I have a h25 with premier package nfl and nhl but no MLB .. Also it's Boston locals but u could get Detroit locals in Windsor with a cheap hd indoor antenna anyway
  14. dg5505 said:
    Anyone here that was looking to share an account ever find one... I have one hd dvr receiver left on my account... first come first serve pm me
  15. i am interested in aquiring service
  16. hjimmy said:
    i am interested in aquiring service

send me a private message with your email address and I'll send u details
  17. dg5505 said:
    hjimmy said:
    i am interested in aquiring service

send me a private message with your email address and I'll send u details
  18. just did
  19. Hello all I do full installs for Dish and Direct... can supply dish or use what you have. Send PM if you need help with installs I am in the Brantford area and will drive up to 1hr and 1/2 thanks!:pt1cable:
  20. Looking for someone to help me with how to get an American dish. I'm sick of Canadian programming. Big football fan. I live in Oshawa. Message me if you can help me out.
  21. i don't know if it would work internationally but since at&t bought directv, they have expanded the sunday ticket and other sports packs to internet delivery in many new places. if you know someone who lives in apartments or is a college student, you can get an internet package for the sports and watch them online or through streaming apps on just about all the major equipment like xbox/PS, roku, tablets and phones.

my mom lives in an apartment and got the package for me to use at home. she is in texas and i in virginia yet her account works fine on my roku stick. i wondered if they would notice the fact my ip address was nowhere near texas but so far so good. the billing address HAS TO BE the qualifying address that let's you do the internet package but other than that it seems you can share the login and watch where ever.

again no idea if this would work over the border but maybe something to look into. if you have a college id, the nfl package is only $100 !!! other wise it is $300 to be able to stream to more than one device at a time.
  22. I'm close to the border too in Ontario too, already own all the hardware and an existing DirecTV STB. Looking for a solution or to join a group, can anyone help?
    Thanks
  23. SparkleT- SMS your number to me plz? i help all serious contenders & enthusiasts with on goal in mind. merci beaucoup
  24. which one you running? H24 OR H25?
  25. winsumtime said:
    Hello all I do full installs for Dish and Direct... can supply dish or use what you have. Send PM if you need help with installs I am in the Brantford area and will drive up to 1hr and 1/2 thanks!:pt1cable:

hello, i have a direct tv receiver can you connect it
  26. Carolina_3 said:
    winsumtime said:
    Hello all I do full installs for Dish and Direct... can supply dish or use what you have. Send PM if you need help with installs I am in the Brantford area and will drive up to 1hr and 1/2 thanks!:pt1cable:

hello, i have a direct tv receiver can you connect it
  27. you have the dish? or need one?
  28. I have the dish and all is up and running now but will be loosing my service soon
  29. Hey Win, i'm near BTFD could you pm me with some details please...
  30. hjimmy said:
    dg5505 said:

I am interested, how can we get in touch?
  31. I am interested in dtv, im in can, anyone have availabilities?
  32. Hi all. Is it possible to get around Directv wanting to do the install? Could I simply buy a receiver from them or some retailer and have it shipped to me by a friend and install myself, then just have it activated by someone in the US? Thanks
  33. I have one HD DVR left to share on my account. Let me know if anyone is interested
Ask a new question

Read More

Satellite TV Home Theatre