Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem File sharing between Win 7 Pro x64 and IMac

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
April 7, 2010 10:18:25 PM

I recently switched from XP Pro x86 to Win 7 Pro x64 (new drive & OS install) on my custom system that also contains multiple internal drives for data & media storage. When I was using XP, my data & media drives were shared and I could access them with no problems from my IMac. Since installing Windows 7 Pro x64, the only thing I can access on my PC from my Mac is the printer (several hours of hair pulling and forum hopping to figure out how to share the printer). I've already gone into the individual drive properties and enabled sharing, but still cannot access them from my Mac. I'm not that familiar with Win 7's "Homegroup" and maybe i've missed something.

I'm open to any input that the forum might have.

Thanks in advance!
April 8, 2010 2:55:30 AM

Windows Vista (and therefore 7 as well) uses a new networking protocol called Link Layer Topology Transponder (or something to that effect) and can't be used on the same network without the other computers being aware and having the software for the new protocol. AFAIK, Microsoft offers a download of the new protocol for XP machines to be able to see Windows Vista/7 computers on the network, but I have no idea about Macs. :/ 
m
0
l
April 8, 2010 3:08:16 AM

Make sure you have a local admin account on both systems, and set the password for both the same...

Hey jedimasterben... "but I have no idea about Macs"... Why even attempt an answer? Oh that's right, you'll spew any crap to achieve "STATUS"... What a guy!
m
0
l
Related resources
April 9, 2010 1:26:48 AM

marcellis22 said:
Make sure you have a local admin account on both systems, and set the password for both the same...

Hey jedimasterben... "but I have no idea about Macs"... Why even attempt an answer? Oh that's right, you'll spew any crap to achieve "STATUS"... What a guy!

"Status"? Seriously? Where the hell did you come up with that?

OP: Give these two links a visit and see if either one can help you out any:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=644480
http://www.pronetworks.org/forums/windows-7-and-mac-os-...
m
0
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
April 9, 2010 2:48:08 AM

jedimasterben said:
Windows Vista (and therefore 7 as well) uses a new networking protocol called Link Layer Topology Transponder (or something to that effect) and can't be used on the same network without the other computers being aware and having the software for the new protocol. AFAIK, Microsoft offers a download of the new protocol for XP machines to be able to see Windows Vista/7 computers on the network, but I have no idea about Macs. :/ 


Is this what you were thinking of?

Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder
m
0
l
April 9, 2010 3:51:32 AM

jedimasterben said:
"Status"? Seriously? Where the hell did you come up with that?

OP: Give these two links a visit and see if either one can help you out any:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=644480
http://www.pronetworks.org/forums/windows-7-and-mac-os-...



Oh sure, reply to a question even knowing you don't have a clue and achieve "LEGEND" status at Tom's is where I came up with that... Why respond to ANYTHING by saying "But I have no idea"? If you don't know, SHUT UP!
m
0
l
April 9, 2010 11:21:29 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Is this what you were thinking of?

Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder

Yes, spot on!
marcellis22 said:
Oh sure, reply to a question even knowing you don't have a clue and achieve "LEGEND" status at Tom's is where I came up with that... Why respond to ANYTHING by saying "But I have no idea"? If you don't know, SHUT UP!

Did you miss the first 3/4 of my post explaining one of the differences between the network stacks of XP and 7, which was helpful because the OP upgraded from XP to 7?

I've been here a lot longer than this points system, and I don't give a damn about it. Look on my user profile and you'll see a link to a list of all my recent postings in the forum, and you're welcome to look through them and see which ones I was just trying up my "status" with.
m
0
l
!