Error Message at Boot Up!

terry

Hi,

I have been seeing this error message at boot up for a Dimension 4500.
It comes right after POST before going into Windows XP.

"Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. status BAD. Backup and Replace. Press
Space bar to continue"

After pressing space bar, it goes into XP without any problem. I did a
hard drive test using Dell Diagnostic and it did not find anything
wrong.

Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks in advance!

Terry

"Terry" <gobeyondgobeyond@Rem0ve.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been seeing this error message at boot up for a Dimension 4500.
> It comes right after POST before going into Windows XP.
>
> "Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. status BAD. Backup and Replace.
> Press
> Space bar to continue"
>
> After pressing space bar, it goes into XP without any problem. I did
> hard drive test using Dell Diagnostic and it did not find anything
> wrong.
>
> Should I be concerned about this?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Terry

Be very concerned: the SMART system monitors the condition of the drive
at the drive's hardware and electronics level, something the OS cannot
do. When SMART detects problems, it does so at the beginning of the
deterioration and warns of a problem that is going to take the drive
down absolutely.

Yes. Back up the drive and replace it.

"Terry" <gobeyondgobeyond@Rem0ve.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been seeing this error message at boot up for a Dimension 4500.
> It comes right after POST before going into Windows XP.
>
> "Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. status BAD. Backup and Replace. Press
> Space bar to continue"
>
> After pressing space bar, it goes into XP without any problem. I did a
> hard drive test using Dell Diagnostic and it did not find anything
> wrong.
>
> Should I be concerned about this?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Terry

You should be very concerned! Backup often and replace your hard disk as
soon as possible.

If you need more convincing, go to the technical support web site of the
manufacturer of your hard disk and run their disk diagnostic tests.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Terry" <gobeyondgobeyond@Rem0ve.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been seeing this error message at boot up for a Dimension 4500.
> It comes right after POST before going into Windows XP.
>
> "Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. status BAD. Backup and Replace. Press
> Space bar to continue"
>
> After pressing space bar, it goes into XP without any problem. I did a
> hard drive test using Dell Diagnostic and it did not find anything
> wrong.
>
> Should I be concerned about this?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Terry

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Terry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been seeing this error message at boot up for a Dimension 4500.
> It comes right after POST before going into Windows XP.
>
> "Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. status BAD. Backup and Replace. Press
> Space bar to continue"
>
> After pressing space bar, it goes into XP without any problem. I did a
> hard drive test using Dell Diagnostic and it did not find anything
> wrong.
>
> Should I be concerned about this?

YES

Follow the boot up advice.

YES! YES! YES! Both the Dell diagnostic software and Micro$oft SCANDISK are
woefully inadequate as hard drive diagnostic tools. Every major manufacturer of
disk drives has free downloads of their own diagnostic software. If the brand
of drive in your system is IBM, use Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test. If the brand
of drive is Quantum, use Maxtor's PowerMax... Ben

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:16:20 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>You should be very concerned! Backup often and replace your hard disk as
>soon as possible.
>
>If you need more convincing, go to the technical support web site of the
>manufacturer of your hard disk and run their disk diagnostic tests.
>--
>Ted Zieglar
>

>"Terry" <gobeyondgobeyond@Rem0ve.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been seeing this error message at boot up for a Dimension 4500.
>> It comes right after POST before going into Windows XP.
>>
>> "Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. status BAD. Backup and Replace. Press
>> Space bar to continue"
>>
>> After pressing space bar, it goes into XP without any problem. I did a
>> hard drive test using Dell Diagnostic and it did not find anything
>> wrong.
>>
>> Should I be concerned about this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Terry

If the system is still under warranty, call Dell and ask them to send you a
replacement drive. Check the warranty status of the system on the Dell web site
using the Dell service tag. If Dell agrees to send you a replacement, they'll
want a credit card number as security until you return the bad drive.

I did a drive replacement for a client recently using a Dell supplied drive. I
used Seagate's Disk Wizard to clone the drive. Lost an icon or two in the
process... Ben Myers

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:58:09 -0500, Terry <gobeyondgobeyond@Rem0ve.Yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have been seeing this error message at boot up for a Dimension 4500.
>It comes right after POST before going into Windows XP.
>
>"Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. status BAD. Backup and Replace. Press
>Space bar to continue"
>
>After pressing space bar, it goes into XP without any problem. I did a
>hard drive test using Dell Diagnostic and it did not find anything
>wrong.
>
>Should I be concerned about this?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Terry

And even if the drive isn't covered by Dell it might still be covered by
Western Digital. Run the serial number on their website ASAP. They
pre-ship a replacement (two day delivery) if it is covered. And get that
disk backed up QUICK!

http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/serialinput.asp?custtype=end&requesttype=warranty&lang=en

Assuming of course it is a WD...

> If the system is still under warranty, call Dell and ask them to send you
> replacement drive. Check the warranty status of the system on the Dell
web site
> using the Dell service tag. If Dell agrees to send you a replacement,
they'll
> want a credit card number as security until you return the bad drive.
>
> I did a drive replacement for a client recently using a Dell supplied
drive. I
> used Seagate's Disk Wizard to clone the drive. Lost an icon or two in the
> process... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:58:09 -0500, Terry
<gobeyondgobeyond@Rem0ve.Yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have been seeing this error message at boot up for a Dimension 4500.
> >It comes right after POST before going into Windows XP.
> >
> >"Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. status BAD. Backup and Replace. Press
> >Space bar to continue"
> >
> >After pressing space bar, it goes into XP without any problem. I did a
> >hard drive test using Dell Diagnostic and it did not find anything
> >wrong.
> >
> >Should I be concerned about this?
> >
> >Thanks in advance!
> >
> >Terry

It would be worth a try. Several hard drive manufacturers in tracking drive
serial numbers indicate that the drive is an OEM drive not eligible for direct
warranty service. Seems just like the long-used Microsoft ploy of denying
users support for a broken Winddows product sold thru OEM channels. The
computer industry manages to ignore Harry Truman's "The buck stops here." Of
course, it's not just the computer industry now, is it?

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:37:49 -0400, "schnoopy" <schnoopy@loppy.com> wrote:

>And even if the drive isn't covered by Dell it might still be covered by
>Western Digital. Run the serial number on their website ASAP. They
>pre-ship a replacement (two day delivery) if it is covered. And get that
>disk backed up QUICK!
>
>http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/serialinput.asp?custtype=end&requesttype=warranty&lang=en
>
>Assuming of course it is a WD...

>> If the system is still under warranty, call Dell and ask them to send you
>> replacement drive. Check the warranty status of the system on the Dell
>web site
>> using the Dell service tag. If Dell agrees to send you a replacement,
>they'll
>> want a credit card number as security until you return the bad drive.
>>
>> I did a drive replacement for a client recently using a Dell supplied
>drive. I
>> used Seagate's Disk Wizard to clone the drive. Lost an icon or two in the
>> process... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:58:09 -0500, Terry
><gobeyondgobeyond@Rem0ve.Yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I have been seeing this error message at boot up for a Dimension 4500.
>> >It comes right after POST before going into Windows XP.
>> >
>> >"Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. status BAD. Backup and Replace. Press
>> >Space bar to continue"
>> >
>> >After pressing space bar, it goes into XP without any problem. I did a
>> >hard drive test using Dell Diagnostic and it did not find anything
>> >wrong.
>> >
>> >Should I be concerned about this?
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance!
>> >
>> >Terry

But that's ridiculous. Do you expect the parts manufacturers of every part
in your car to individually warranty the part? No, the assembler -- the car
company does.

XP and a hard drive are just parts.

Tom
> It would be worth a try. Several hard drive manufacturers in tracking
> drive
> serial numbers indicate that the drive is an OEM drive not eligible for
> direct
> warranty service. Seems just like the long-used Microsoft ploy of
> denying
> users support for a broken Winddows product sold thru OEM channels. The
> computer industry manages to ignore Harry Truman's "The buck stops here."
> Of
> course, it's not just the computer industry now, is it?
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:37:49 -0400, "schnoopy" <schnoopy@loppy.com> wrote:
>
>>And even if the drive isn't covered by Dell it might still be covered by
>>Western Digital. Run the serial number on their website ASAP. They
>>pre-ship a replacement (two day delivery) if it is covered. And get that
>>disk backed up QUICK!
>>
>>http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/serialinput.asp?custtype=end&requesttype=warranty&lang=en
>>
>>Assuming of course it is a WD...
>>

>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>> If the system is still under warranty, call Dell and ask them to send
>>> you
>>> replacement drive. Check the warranty status of the system on the Dell
>>web site
>>> using the Dell service tag. If Dell agrees to send you a replacement,
>>they'll
>>> want a credit card number as security until you return the bad drive.
>>>
>>> I did a drive replacement for a client recently using a Dell supplied
>>drive. I
>>> used Seagate's Disk Wizard to clone the drive. Lost an icon or two in
>>> the
>>> process... Ben Myers
>>>
>>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:58:09 -0500, Terry
>><gobeyondgobeyond@Rem0ve.Yahoo.com>

No recalls of OEM or retail Windows despite all the defects. Lots of recalls of
Bridgestone OEM tires on Ford Explorers. The difference? Bridgestone tires led
to deaths and serious personal injury. Windows only leads to lost time and
money, although there may be folk tales about suicides in the IT tech support
world.

Anyway, I was only warning the OP that drive manufacturers track OEM and retail
sales of drives. Whether or not a mfr honors the warranty on an OEM drive all
depends. But probably not... Ben Myers