Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windoes won't start up at boot

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:35:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

A couple days ago, as I was rebooting my computer...
It showed normal signs of booting...
The BIOS page...the MICROSOFT XP Page...
then as it should have opened up to the WELCOME PAGE
it went into the Queery page that gives you the options to boot
either in safe mode...
Last knowGodd Config...
etc...and so on..
The trouble is...as I hit the enter key, after selecting which mode to boot
in....
it starts the PC all over again as if I JUST turned it on...and goes through
the first two Bios pages, etc..
thrn right back to the boot mode selection...
It won't do anything or move beyond that section...
I can't get into windows...
Any suggestions please?
Thanks...
Apeke

More about : windoes start boot

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 9:37:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You could try a Repair Install if you have a WinXP CD. Check here at
Michael's site.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
"apeke" <apeke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 9175A55-5E2C-475B-BB92-497D87DDEC4B@microsoft.com...
>A couple days ago, as I was rebooting my computer...
> It showed normal signs of booting...
> The BIOS page...the MICROSOFT XP Page...
> then as it should have opened up to the WELCOME PAGE
> it went into the Queery page that gives you the options to boot
> either in safe mode...
> Last knowGodd Config...
> etc...and so on..
> The trouble is...as I hit the enter key, after selecting which mode to
> boot
> in....
> it starts the PC all over again as if I JUST turned it on...and goes
> through
> the first two Bios pages, etc..
> thrn right back to the boot mode selection...
> It won't do anything or move beyond that section...
> I can't get into windows...
> Any suggestions please?
> Thanks...
> Apeke
>
>
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 9:37:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Rich...
I do have a WinXP CD however, when I try to use it...it tells me that my PC
is NEWER than that of the CD, I think becasue of all the Microsoft Windows
updating over the past several months...anyway, it won't allow me to access
the CD...
Now what?




"Rich Barry" wrote:

> You could try a Repair Install if you have a WinXP CD. Check here at
> Michael's site.
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> "apeke" <apeke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 9175A55-5E2C-475B-BB92-497D87DDEC4B@microsoft.com...
> >A couple days ago, as I was rebooting my computer...
> > It showed normal signs of booting...
> > The BIOS page...the MICROSOFT XP Page...
> > then as it should have opened up to the WELCOME PAGE
> > it went into the Queery page that gives you the options to boot
> > either in safe mode...
> > Last knowGodd Config...
> > etc...and so on..
> > The trouble is...as I hit the enter key, after selecting which mode to
> > boot
> > in....
> > it starts the PC all over again as if I JUST turned it on...and goes
> > through
> > the first two Bios pages, etc..
> > thrn right back to the boot mode selection...
> > It won't do anything or move beyond that section...
> > I can't get into windows...
> > Any suggestions please?
> > Thanks...
> > Apeke
> >
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 12:42:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"apeke" <apeke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Rich...
>I do have a WinXP CD however, when I try to use it...it tells me that my PC
>is NEWER than that of the CD, I think becasue of all the Microsoft Windows
>updating over the past several months...anyway, it won't allow me to access
>the CD...
>Now what?
>

When you try to boot from the hard drive and the menu comes up with
the various choices for Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, etc.
is there an item on that menu that says"

"Disable automatic restart on System Failure" or words to that effect?
If there is then choose that option and let us know the results.


Also, your newer version error message when you try to do a Repair
Install indicates that your PC has been upgraded to Service Pack 2 and
your install CD is either the original release or Service Pack 1
version. What you need to do is to create a new install CD with
Service Pack 2 integrated into it. In order to do this you will
need:
- A CDRW drive (or a DVD burner)
- Your original Windows XP CD (which you have)
- The full download of Service Pack 2, which you can get from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

Download nlite (free) from http://www.nliteos.com and use it to create
the new CD image (ISO file) and then burn that image to a blank CDR
disk. If you have a DVD burner make sure you use a CD blank rather
than a DVD blank, othewise your new disk will only work in computers
that have a DVD drive.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
!