I have a computer that I recently built about 6 months ago and I have done
everything in terms of maintenance and upkeep (defrag, disk cleanup, disk
doctor, etc..) but it seems like about once a day my computer will free for
no good reason. I have 1 gig of memory, a dual processor and 200+ gigs of
hard drive space so I figure that nothing should be able to crash the system.
Is there maybe a setting or something that I have wrong that would cause this
to happen? It usually happens when I run programs that will hog a lot of
memory but with as much power as I have I figure that it should not be an
issue. Any comments/suggestions are welcome, PLEASE help me!

Byte

Your subject line, Freezes for NO REASON is redundant. If it "freezes"
there is a reason, period. Is your power source (watts) sufficient to run
your system? CPU overheating? Possibilities - many reasons. If you built
it, you must have sufficient knowledge to trouble shoot the problem.
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Michael O." wrote:

> I have a computer that I recently built about 6 months ago and I have done
> everything in terms of maintenance and upkeep (defrag, disk cleanup, disk
> doctor, etc..) but it seems like about once a day my computer will free for
> no good reason. I have 1 gig of memory, a dual processor and 200+ gigs of
> hard drive space so I figure that nothing should be able to crash the system.
> Is there maybe a setting or something that I have wrong that would cause this
> to happen? It usually happens when I run programs that will hog a lot of
> memory but with as much power as I have I figure that it should not be an
> issue. Any comments/suggestions are welcome, PLEASE help me!

map

Michael O. wrote:
> I have a computer that I recently built about 6 months ago and I have
> done everything in terms of maintenance and upkeep (defrag, disk
> cleanup, disk doctor, etc..) but it seems like about once a day my
> computer will free for no good reason. I have 1 gig of memory, a dual
> processor and 200+ gigs of hard drive space so I figure that nothing
> should be able to crash the system. Is there maybe a setting or
> something that I have wrong that would cause this to happen? It
> usually happens when I run programs that will hog a lot of memory but
> with as much power as I have I figure that it should not be an issue.
> Any comments/suggestions are welcome, PLEASE help me!

It might be a heat issue.

--
Mike Pawlak

Byte schrieb:
> Your subject line, Freezes for NO REASON is redundant. If it "freezes"
> there is a reason, period. Is your power source (watts) sufficient to run
> your system? CPU overheating? Possibilities - many reasons. If you built
> it, you must have sufficient knowledge to trouble shoot the problem.

And OP should provide detailed and sufficient information about his
DIY computer: which PSU - which RAM - which coolers/fans for CPU and
case...

Did he check the RAM e.g. with memtest86? Did he check the temps e.g.
with Everest?
Did he install the rig als ACPI or as Standard PC (the latter is
sometimes helpful with machines "freezing for no reason")?

Roy