Changing a computers name Windows XP SP2

Hello,

When I try to change my computer's name I receive an error box saying
something like "The
DNS name contains an invalid character"(Translation).This happens even if
the name would be, for instance,
"abcdefg".
My computer is a member of a workgroup(home network).Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for your time
1 answer Last reply
More about changing computers windows

    Dankert wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > When I try to change my computer's name I receive an error box saying
    > something like "The
    > DNS name contains an invalid character"(Translation).This happens even
    > if the name would be, for instance,
    > "abcdefg".
    > My computer is a member of a workgroup(home network).Any ideas anyone?
    >
    > Thanks for your time

    Where are you trying to change the computer's name? The right place is
    on the Computer Name tab in the Control Panel System applet. DNS
    settings are in the Network applet.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers