barton vs thoroughbred whats the best

link

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2001
the question is whats the better performing athlon cpu in regards to the core. i have seen several graphs showing performance of many cpus but never the same speed cpu with different cores. i want the barton core cpu at 2600 but i think i remember reading somewhere that the barton core was actually kind of a step back. anyway, let me know what any of you have discovered. thanks

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The Barton core is clocked lower than a Thoroughbred with an equivalent part number. AMD raised the part numbers of the Bartons based on the extra cache making that much of a performance difference.

The reality however is that many applications benefit more from the higher clock speed of the Thoroughbred than from the extra cache of the Barton when both CPUs are set to the same frontside bus frequency.

AMD however knows this and thus made the Thoroughbreds with equal rating numbers very sparse. Because those TBreds are difficult to find it means that in general you can simply trust the product rating numbers as an indication of performance. It's not always true for every piece of software out there, but in a general sense it's not bad.

Otherwise I personally lean towards the higher clockspeed of a Thoroughbred over the extra cache of the Barton if you're keeping a CPU at stock speeds.

<pre><b><font color=red>I've always wondered why people liken the taste of blood to copper.
It tastes much more like iron to me.
<- :evil: - :evil: - :evil: - :evil: - :evil: -></font color=red></b></pre><p>

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
I agree. I do know that THG has the benchmaks somewhere so you can see for yourself. If you are gamming I don't think there is much difference but if you are decoding type apps, you would benefit from the higher clock speeds from the T Bred's. If you are an O clocker, I do belive that the Bartons OC much better. Good Luck.

For what it is worth, Im running:
2700+ T Bread
Asus A7N8X DEL
2X 256 DDR 3200 Corsair XMS LL
120 WD JB
ATI 9800 PRO
SB Audigty
Koolance 601 Water cooled case
NEC DVD+/-RW

and I love it.

They are our, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, neighbors. They are OUR TROOPS! Please support them.

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I think that you're wrong as to which core OC's better. My TBred was a 1800+(1.53G) and is running @ 2.3G--just over a 50% increase by overclocking. To do that with a Barton, you'd start with a 2500+ (1.83) and 150% would be 2.745. To my knowledge that would be really, really high for a Barton.

Maybe what you meant to say was that an overclocked Barton outperforms an OC'd TBred? That answer comes down to cache and clock speed again.

Where there's a will, there's a way-even when it comes to screwing up.

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
WOW! Thats awsome! Ok, I stand corrected.

They are our, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, neighbors. They are OUR TROOPS! Please support them.

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I'm running @ 11.5x200. What part doesn't sound right? Yes I have top notch air cooling and vcore is 1.8 and not all TBreds will do this, but mine does.

Where there's a will, there's a way-even when it comes to screwing up.

TRENDING THREADS