recover data from the Dump files?

Hello, Brothers! What is the use of the Dump files? How to recover data from
the Dump files? My System P3,256mb Ram, 20gb HDD, WinXP Pro SP2, NAV, Kerio.

With best regards, Brother Brock. E-mail: Nobodyknows@unknown.com
2 answers Last reply
More about recover data dump files

    "Brother Brock" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, Brothers! What is the use of the Dump files? How to recover data
    > from
    > the Dump files? My System P3,256mb Ram, 20gb HDD, WinXP Pro SP2, NAV,
    > Kerio.
    >
    > With best regards, Brother Brock. E-mail: Nobodyknows@unknown.com

    People, who know how (and that definitely excludes me) use a crash dump to
    determine why the system crashed. It might be possible to recover some
    data, but that is not the primary purpose of such things.
    Jim

    Type verifier in Start Run, follow the wizard but choose All Drivers. This will slow down your computer and cause more blue screen crashes but will pinpoint what is causing the crash (if the original error message didn't). Once you fix it you rerun verifier and turn it off.

    If you can't start after enabling verifier
    choose Last Known Good Configuration at the Failed Boot menu (which will
    start without verifier).

    You will be creating a crash dump file in c:\windows\minidump every blue screen. Make sure you are set to record minidumps (Small Memory Dumps) - type it in Help to see how.

    Then

    If you have the XP SP2 Security Update CD (else see
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/­devtools/debugging/symbolpkg.m­spx
    )

    Install symbols from <CD Drive Letter>:\SUPPORT\SYMBOLS

    Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

    Load the crash dump file into windbg
    and read what it says. You may need to tell it where the symbols are. Read it.
    Type
    !Analyze -v
    into Windbg's command line.
    (this will hopefully tell you the faulty component)

    You can look up specific details here
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCIntro_ea8b9fd0-2d81-4a04-a7ed-c1c6a80bd501.xml.asp

    If it indicates faulty memory might be the cause you can get a memory tester
    here
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/wi­ndiag.asp

    If it mentions a core windows system file, meaning it a MS fix is required,
    upload a minidump to

    http://oca.microsoft.com

    Also try typing the main error code in Help while online (ie,
    Stop 0x50
    and also try in the 8 digit form
    stop 0x00000050)
    and if there are too many hits use a filename if available. Generally memory
    addresses are different for each computer (as each computer has a different
    mix of drivers) so parameters that are memory addresses aren't that useful for searching, but NTStatus codes are (plus you can look them up here http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mingw/w32api/include/ddk/ntstatus.h?rev=1.2).

    "Brother Brock" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message news:OkmdvUyrFHA.3640@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hello, Brothers! What is the use of the Dump files? How to recover data from
    > the Dump files? My System P3,256mb Ram, 20gb HDD, WinXP Pro SP2, NAV, Kerio.
    >
    > With best regards, Brother Brock. E-mail: Nobodyknows@unknown.com

Microsoft Windows XP