memory upgrade problem with Dell Dimension 4100

i've been looking for a solution for my memory upgrade problem on my
Dell Dimension 4100. I originally had 2- 128MB pieces of ram in the
DIMM slots, and that worked fine. I recently purchased 2- 256
pieces, and they wouldn't work... they were Azenram pieces, so I
ended up getting the more expensive Kingston ones (KTD-DM133/256)
which should work with the Dell 4100, as it's meant for it.

So here's the problem... if both 256mb pieces are in the DIMM slots
the computer won't start up, it sits there, but nothing happens. If
I pull one of the 256mb pieces, then it boots up fine... but whenever
both are in it, it just sits there. I even tried putting it in
different DIMM slots, thinking one wasn't working, however if i put
it in slot 1 or 2, it works with the one ram piece. I figured
updating the BIOS would do the trick, but no luck. I upgraded the
BIOS from version A06 to A11, and still nothing.

I am wondering what I need to do to get 512mb of ram working in this
Dell Dimension 4100? I look at Dell's message forum, and it seems
that most people don't have problems like this. Do I need to change
jumpers, or reset the motherboard? I'm starting to get frustrated!
:(

On 14 Oct 2004 02:03:25 -0400, yanisiew wrote in

[snip!]

> I am wondering what I need to do to get 512mb of ram working in this
> Dell Dimension 4100? I look at Dell's message forum, and it seems
> that most people don't have problems like this. Do I need to change
> jumpers, or reset the motherboard? I'm starting to get frustrated!
> :(

Does the manual that came with the computer say anything? I have an 8400
and on my computer if you don't plug the RAM into the right pair of slots
you suffer performance drops but not sure if it plain won't work. I never
tried putting them in the wrong slots. :) The manual that came with my
8400 explained it all.

Also, did you buy the correct type of RAM?

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!