Sign in with
Your question

Should I stay, or should I go?

Last response: in CPUs
October 31, 2003 1:03:21 PM

Its that time of the year again. Upgrade time, and I would like your advice. First let me tell you what Im running.

AMD 2700+ T-Bred
Asus A7N8X DEL rev 1.04 (no 400 FSB)
2 X 256 Corsair XMS LL 3200
ATI 9800 PRO 128
120 WD JB
SB Audigy
Koolance 601 Water cooled case
465 watt VAV PS

The question
Should I upgrade to the A64 or wait? I have my own ideas, but I do value yours. Another question, FX chip needs ECC Ram, but the A64 does not? Right?
I am not going with the FX.. TOO much money..

Thank you for your time reading and responding to this post. Take care all, and God Bless.

They are our, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, neighbors. They are OUR TROOPS! Please support them.

More about : stay

October 31, 2003 1:04:52 PM

There is nothing wrong with your computer. The support for A64 is marginal at best so far, and the technology is immature. In six or eight months, I would upgrade.
October 31, 2003 3:35:14 PM

I've got my eye on both those chips myself. However, I'm going to wait until after the first of the year to let things mature a bit more before taking the plunge. I'm desperately trying to sell a machine with one of them in it, just to get my hands on it to see how it feels.

That's my $.02 on it. Take care.

Dazzle them with Brilliance, or Baffle them with BS! :wink:
Related resources
October 31, 2003 3:40:39 PM

BTW, I've always liked your Sig. Man :wink:

October 31, 2003 5:41:57 PM

AMD64 FX needs Registered RAM not ECC RAM and it won't even need that after Socket 939 is available. Wait till then.

You'll be able to use faster memory, probably get a faster version of the FX, have a better upgrade path, and Windows XP 64-bit will be available (is this a good thing? LOL!).

And if you think your system is crap by then just give it away to some poor THG subscriber :wink: .

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
October 31, 2003 7:19:15 PM

There is absolutely no reason for you to upgrade right now. Wait at least 6 more months until things clear up, regarding Athlon FX (Socket 939) and Prescott.
October 31, 2003 7:25:32 PM

Btw, just a little something I noticed just now. Your mobo DOES support 400MHz FSB. A BIOS update came out a long time ago that enabled the 400MHz FSB on rev 1.04 boards as well (I know since I have one!).
October 31, 2003 7:28:48 PM

Hmm.. Thank you for the mobo info. Cool. I will download it tonight. It seems that everyone agrees to wait. I was thinking the same thing but it is good to hear other opions.

They are our, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, neighbors. They are OUR TROOPS! Please support them.
October 31, 2003 7:29:53 PM

Thanks for commenting on my Sig. It is how I feel. Take care.

October 31, 2003 8:32:41 PM

64bit FX 939 chip? Is this chip going to be the holy grail of priced chips? The FX51 currently costs $750, thats a whole computer for the price of a chip. Whats the cost of the 939 chip going to be? Could it be the first desktop chip to reach $1000?
October 31, 2003 9:52:58 PM

Myself as well!

Good decision to wait. Yes there is a BIOS update for your board.

November 1, 2003 2:47:33 AM

You know its kinda funny to see so many people out there bashing AMD for having a computer chip that is prices at $750.00. Intel has always had chips up around that price for there top of the line but now that AMD does it, its seen as a horrible thing. I mean come on the FX kicks the living hell out of any other chip out there. Yes Yes Intels EE bla bla bla. Its not out yet its just a paper launch and you know that if the EE would have been out before the FX and AMD would have made a Paper launch with now saying of when the FX would come out (like intel is doing with the EE) You would be saying that the FX ment nothing. I mean come on people think about it the FX as far as I can see is a big jump for AMD for the first time in a long time AMD has been able to Pull ahead of Intel with a new processor line and not just pull alittle a head they jumped way the hell ahead of the 3.2c in almost every area. Yeah it cost 750.00 but when the 3.2c came out it cost almost as much and it didn't even come close to kicking as much but agenst what ever AMD had to fight agenst it with. Yes the Registered Ram thing kinda sux but not all together With Registered RAM you get more stiblity and better RAM price is up there but thats the price you pay for proformace.

Sorry Just sick of seeing tons of people around here bash the FX just because Intel has released a paper launch of a processor that we don't even know if we will for sure see with in this year. Not to mention that the EE is rumored to be around 900.00 maby. But like I said before thats the pice you pay for proformace. Also the way that I see it AMD could make a Processor that would beat the EE if they did the same thing just put a ton of Cash into or bosted a few other things that would make the price sky rocket. You can always do that the only thing is AMD doesn't have the money to blow on something like the EE which I personly (not a fact just opinion) think was just released (on paper at least) just to keep their proformace crown.

anyway just my 2 cent

Frozen
Fallout
OUT

-------------------------------------------------
Remember what your fighting for, Remember why you even started fighting, and Remember who you are
November 1, 2003 5:08:23 AM

Ok looks like I was wrong about not knowing when the EE will come out but it looks like what you said about AMD being the first to have a 1000.00 CPU in our day and age is not going to happen. Looks like Intel is going to have the EE priced at 1000.00 for retail and if that is true then it doesn't look so bad that AMD has a CPU that is almost on par with the EE that is priced 250.00 less. I mean hell thats 1/4 more then the FX and it sure doesn't give that much more proformace what is Intel thinking. Yeah Yeah I know the Registered RAM makes the FX a little more expecive (not then the EE but the over all price of the Computer as a whole) but at least that registered RAM gives you proformace improvemnts in stability and the like.

All I can say is 1000.00 for a CPU is rediculess I think unless you are rich the computer I built last year cost me the same price. Not that the FX is much better with its 750.00 but I would most deffently recomend the FX over the EE anyday.

Remember what your fighting for, Remember why you even started fighting, and Remember who you are
November 3, 2003 1:27:17 AM

OK.. Thanks all for your responses but, Does the regular AMD64 need registered memory like the FX? Thanks for your time. Take care all.

November 3, 2003 1:34:49 AM

ECC RAM is registered RAM isn't it?
November 3, 2003 2:42:47 AM

Registered memory means buffered memory. It is not the same as ECC memory which has error detection circuitry. (ECC stands for Error Correcting Code).

You can purchase registered (buffered) ECC memory but you can also buy unbuffered (not registered) ECC memory.

Here's an article with a description of the two types of memory.

<A HREF="http://www.madshrimps.be/gotofaqlink.php?linkid=452" target="_new">http://www.madshrimps.be/gotofaqlink.php?linkid=452&lt;/A>

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
November 3, 2003 8:50:52 AM

No the AMD 64 does not need registed RAM

!