Insprion speakers mute after standby

After resuming from Standby, no sound comes from the built in speakers in my
Inspiron 1100. The headphone jack works normally but not the speakers.

The volume control /speaker settings from the keyboard are right and all the
sound and audio settings from the control panel are right too-- just no
speaker sound. After a cold reboot however, the sound returns to normal!

This is a new problem and started suddenly. I'm running WIN XP Pro and have
not added/deleted any software.

Any ideas re: cause/fix?

Edw.

Try reinstalling the audio drivers. See if there are updated drivers at
Dell.

> "Special Ed" <chasham97NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> After resuming from Standby, no sound comes from the built in speakers in
>> my Inspiron 1100. The headphone jack works normally but not the speakers.
>>
>> The volume control /speaker settings from the keyboard are right and all
>> the sound and audio settings from the control panel are right too-- just
>> no speaker sound. After a cold reboot however, the sound returns to
>> normal!
>>
>> This is a new problem and started suddenly. I'm running WIN XP Pro and
>> have not added/deleted any software.
>>
>> Any ideas re: cause/fix?
>>
>> Edw.
>>

> Try reinstalling the audio drivers. See if there are updated drivers at
> Dell.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried that-- but there's still no speaker
sound after powering up from Standby...

Edw.

"Special Ed" <chasham97NOSPAM@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Special Ed" <chasham97NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> After resuming from Standby, no sound comes from the built in speakers
>>> in my Inspiron 1100. The headphone jack works normally but not the
>>> speakers.
>>>
>>> The volume control /speaker settings from the keyboard are right and all
>>> the sound and audio settings from the control panel are right too-- just
>>> no speaker sound. After a cold reboot however, the sound returns to
>>> normal!
>>>
>>> This is a new problem and started suddenly. I'm running WIN XP Pro and
>>> have not added/deleted any software.
>>>
>>> Any ideas re: cause/fix?
>>>
>>> Edw.
>>>

>> Try reinstalling the audio drivers. See if there are updated drivers at
>> Dell.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I tried that-- but there's still no speaker
> sound after powering up from Standby...
>
> Edw.

Here's the fix:

Remove battery and unplug from wall to totally power down the system for
several minutes, then remove/reinstall hard drive. This will "reset" the
computer which solved the problem.

Edw.

>Here's the fix:
>
>Remove battery and unplug from wall to totally power down the system for
>several minutes, then remove/reinstall hard drive. This will "reset" the
>computer which solved the problem.

Is it a "one-time-fix" or do you have to do it everytime you've had
the computer in standby?

"Henning" <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote in message

>>Here's the fix:
>>
>>Remove battery and unplug from wall to totally power down the system for
>>several minutes, then remove/reinstall hard drive. This will "reset" the
>>computer which solved the problem.
>
> Is it a "one-time-fix" or do you have to do it everytime you've had
> the computer in standby?

I've been through several standby cycles and it's doing fine (so far!). If
you had to do it each time, it would be a real PIA...

Edw.

Latest posts