CHKDSK produce a Log ?

To save me watching the screen !

thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about chkdsk produce

    zjustice wrote:

    > To save me watching the screen !
    >
    > thanks

    Right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, Application, Winlogon entry.

    Steve

    Pipe the screen output to a text file

    CHKDSK C: /V > C:\Checkdisklog.txt

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "zjustice" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:spedncIHS5_6w4reRVnytg@pipex.net...
    > To save me watching the screen !
    >
    > thanks

    Open the Event Viewer...
    Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
    Look in Application | Listed as Information |
    Event ID: 1001
    Source: Winlogon
    volume name or serial number to help determine what volume Chkdsk ran
    against. Also included is whether Chkdsk ran because a user scheduled it or
    because the dirty bit was set.]]

    [[When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to a
    file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The Winlogon
    service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application
    Event log.]]

    [[This file states whether Chkdsk encountered any errors and, if so,
    whether they were fixed.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:spedncIHS5_6w4reRVnytg@pipex.net,
    zjustice <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > To save me watching the screen !
    >
    > thanks

    Yes. Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'eventvwr.msc' and click OK. Select the Application report and examine all the events with the 'Winlogon' source.

    --
    Greetings,
    Daniel Martín

    "zjustice" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:spedncIHS5_6w4reRVnytg@pipex.net...
    > To save me watching the screen !
    >
    > thanks

    Thanks everyone

    does this look ok :-

    A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.
    Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 2 unused security descriptors.

    "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
    > zjustice wrote:
    >
    >> To save me watching the screen !
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    > Right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, Application, Winlogon
    > entry.
    >
    > Steve

    also , is there a good link for this sort of thing - CHKDSK ?

    thanks

    > Thanks everyone
    >
    > does this look ok :-
    >
    > A disk check has been scheduled.
    > Windows will now check the disk.
    > Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    > Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    > Cleaning up 2 unused security descriptors.
    >

    > "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
    >> zjustice wrote:
    >>
    >>> To save me watching the screen !
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>

    >> Right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, Application, Winlogon
    >> entry.
    >>
    >> Steve

    Type: chkdsk in the Search box in Help and Support and click the arrow.

    You'll see items like these...
    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&View=en-us&s=6&c=0&qu=Chkdsk

    English Knowledge Base (KB) You Searched: Windows XP For: chkdsk
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?spid=1173&query=chkdsk&catalog=LCID%3D1033&pwt=false&title=false&kt=ALL&mdt=0&comm=1&ast=1&ast=2&ast=3&mode=a&x=11&y=4

    English Knowledge Base (KB) You Searched: All Products For: chkdsk
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&mode=s&cat=false&query=chkdsk&srch=sup&x=8&y=14

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:GOKdnaOCI-mFCIreRVnyvg@pipex.net,
    zjustice <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > also , is there a good link for this sort of thing - CHKDSK ?
    >
    > thanks
    >

    > "zjustice" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thanks everyone
    >>
    >> does this look ok :-
    >>
    >> A disk check has been scheduled.
    >> Windows will now check the disk.
    >> Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    >> Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    >> Cleaning up 2 unused security descriptors.
    >>

    >> "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message

    >>> Right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, Application, Winlogon
    >>> entry.
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    Wes

    Say a full chkdsk finds errors not just those "removing unused" ines
    but corrects everything
    then you re-chkdsk and it shows no errors

    does that mean your data has been fully corrected - using NTFS XP SP2 by the
    way

    i.e. a clear run and your in the clear ?

    what an advance NTFS is !

    thanks

    > Open the Event Viewer...
    > Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
    > Look in Application | Listed as Information |
    > Event ID: 1001
    > Source: Winlogon
    > volume name or serial number to help determine what volume Chkdsk ran
    > against. Also included is whether Chkdsk ran because a user scheduled it
    > or
    > because the dirty bit was set.]]
    >
    > [[When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to
    > file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The
    > Winlogon
    > service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application
    > Event log.]]
    >
    > [[This file states whether Chkdsk encountered any errors and, if so,
    > whether they were fixed.]]
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:spedncIHS5_6w4reRVnytg@pipex.net,
    > zjustice <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> To save me watching the screen !
    >>
    >> thanks

    As far as I know, after running chkdsk with the R switch you can get *.chk
    files. These are supposed to be readable, by what I don't know. I just
    delete them.

    More info...
    Open a command prompt and type:

    chkdsk /?

    Hit the Enter key.

    More info...

    In news:LdednclHmKsACIreRVnytg@pipex.net,

    zjustice wrote:
    > Thanks everyone
    >
    > does this look ok :-
    >
    > A disk check has been scheduled.
    > Windows will now check the disk.
    > Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    > Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    > Cleaning up 2 unused security descriptors.

    Yep.

    Steve

    > "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
    >
    >>zjustice wrote:
    >>

    >>>To save me watching the screen !
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>

    >>Right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, Application, Winlogon
    >>entry.
    >>
    >>Steve

Chkdsk Microsoft Windows XP