Transferring Files

I have just got my new Dell 8300 (with the free upgrade to 3.2EE) and
I am now trying to transfer the files from my old PC running win98SE
to the 8300 with XP Pro. I have connected the two Network cards, opend
up sharing of folders on the old PC but I cannot get the Dell to 'see'
the old machine. Any help?

Thanx

GaryT
9 answers Last reply
More about transferring files

    <tommajor@space.net.au> wrote in message
    > I have just got my new Dell 8300 (with the free upgrade to 3.2EE) and
    > I am now trying to transfer the files from my old PC running win98SE
    > to the 8300 with XP Pro. I have connected the two Network cards, opend
    > up sharing of folders on the old PC but I cannot get the Dell to 'see'
    > the old machine. Any help?

    You have not given many specifics on what has been tried so I will start
    with the basics.
    Are you using a HUB or Router?
    If a router are you using static or dynamic IP's on the systems?
    Are both systems in the same subnet and Workgroup name?
    Can you ping the other from each machine?

    Do you run the network wizard on the 8300?

    <tommajor@space.net.au> wrote in message
    > I have just got my new Dell 8300 (with the free upgrade to 3.2EE) and
    > I am now trying to transfer the files from my old PC running win98SE
    > to the 8300 with XP Pro. I have connected the two Network cards, opend
    > up sharing of folders on the old PC but I cannot get the Dell to 'see'
    > the old machine. Any help?
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > GaryT

    Did you use a crossover cable between the 2
    NICs? A straight thru one won't work.

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 07:01:22 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

    ><tommajor@space.net.au> wrote in message
    >> I have just got my new Dell 8300 (with the free upgrade to 3.2EE) and
    >> I am now trying to transfer the files from my old PC running win98SE
    >> to the 8300 with XP Pro. I have connected the two Network cards, opend
    >> up sharing of folders on the old PC but I cannot get the Dell to 'see'
    >> the old machine. Any help?
    >>

    >You have not given many specifics on what has been tried so I will start
    >with the basics.
    >Are you using a HUB or Router?
    >If a router are you using static or dynamic IP's on the systems?
    >Are both systems in the same subnet and Workgroup name?
    >Can you ping the other from each machine?

    This is what I have done so far:

    Not using a hub or router. Just trying a crossover cable between the
    two NICs.

    Have used the wizard in XP which will be the Guest machine as the old
    PC is the host which has the files I want to transfer over.

    Have used the XP wizard to set up a network with advanced settings as
    I do not want neither machine to have access to the net. Copied the
    network set up files on to a floppy and installed these on the old PC.

    Have set up the group called MS Home and I can see the two machines
    trying to talk toeach other as the LED is flashing on both NICs.

    I am obviously missing something very simple but I just cannot see it.

    Major Tom

    > On Sat, 15 May 2004 07:01:22 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:
    >

    > ><tommajor@space.net.au> wrote in message
    > >> I have just got my new Dell 8300 (with the free upgrade to 3.2EE) and
    > >> I am now trying to transfer the files from my old PC running win98SE
    > >> to the 8300 with XP Pro. I have connected the two Network cards, opend
    > >> up sharing of folders on the old PC but I cannot get the Dell to 'see'
    > >> the old machine. Any help?
    > >>

    > >You have not given many specifics on what has been tried so I will start
    > >with the basics.
    > >Are you using a HUB or Router?
    > >If a router are you using static or dynamic IP's on the systems?
    > >Are both systems in the same subnet and Workgroup name?
    > >Can you ping the other from each machine?
    >
    > This is what I have done so far:
    >
    > Not using a hub or router. Just trying a crossover cable between the
    > two NICs.
    >
    > Have used the wizard in XP which will be the Guest machine as the old
    > PC is the host which has the files I want to transfer over.
    >
    > Have used the XP wizard to set up a network with advanced settings as
    > I do not want neither machine to have access to the net. Copied the
    > network set up files on to a floppy and installed these on the old PC.
    >
    > Have set up the group called MS Home and I can see the two machines
    > trying to talk toeach other as the LED is flashing on both NICs.
    >
    > I am obviously missing something very simple but I just cannot see it.

    Yes, but are you able to 'Ping' the IP of each machine successfully?
    Also, I have seen cases where a [SPACE] in the workgroup name caused a
    problem. Try changing the name on both to just HOME and all upper-case.

    FWIW I remember a while back running into the same thing on two of my
    systems at home. One was running XP Pro, the other was running 98SE.

    Somehow I ran into a web page (of course I ccan't remember where), that
    happen to mention that the user accounts on both system need to be using a
    password.

    For some reason, if the user accounts on both system have a password that's
    just left blank, the machines won't see each other.

    Once I set a password for the login accounts I was using on both systems, it
    worked just fine. Go figure.

    Yes both systems were part of the same workgroup, had shares all set up,
    both system were running DHCP so the IP address's were compatible, were
    connected to the same Linksys router, etc..

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

    > <tommajor@space.net.au> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 15 May 2004 07:01:22 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:
    > >

    > > ><tommajor@space.net.au> wrote in message
    > > >>

    > > >You have not given many specifics on what has been tried so I will
    start
    > > >with the basics.
    > > >Are you using a HUB or Router?
    > > >If a router are you using static or dynamic IP's on the systems?
    > > >Are both systems in the same subnet and Workgroup name?
    > > >Can you ping the other from each machine?
    > >
    > > This is what I have done so far:
    > >
    > > Not using a hub or router. Just trying a crossover cable between the
    > > two NICs.
    > >
    > > Have used the wizard in XP which will be the Guest machine as the old
    > > PC is the host which has the files I want to transfer over.
    > >
    > > Have used the XP wizard to set up a network with advanced settings as
    > > I do not want neither machine to have access to the net. Copied the
    > > network set up files on to a floppy and installed these on the old PC.
    > >
    > > Have set up the group called MS Home and I can see the two machines
    > > trying to talk toeach other as the LED is flashing on both NICs.
    > >
    > > I am obviously missing something very simple but I just cannot see it.
    > >

    > Yes, but are you able to 'Ping' the IP of each machine successfully?
    > Also, I have seen cases where a [SPACE] in the workgroup name caused a
    > problem. Try changing the name on both to just HOME and all upper-case.

    Yes, a number of times. Still no success.

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 11:08:43 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Do you run the network wizard on the 8300?
    >
    ><tommajor@space.net.au> wrote in message
    >> I have just got my new Dell 8300 (with the free upgrade to 3.2EE) and
    >> I am now trying to transfer the files from my old PC running win98SE
    >> to the 8300 with XP Pro. I have connected the two Network cards, opend
    >> up sharing of folders on the old PC but I cannot get the Dell to 'see'
    >> the old machine. Any help?
    >>
    >> Thanx
    >>
    >> GaryT

    Yes, well the packet said crossover category 6 which is backward
    compatible with category 5 network components.

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 11:39:46 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

    ><tommajor@space.net.au> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 15 May 2004 07:01:22 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:
    >>

    >> ><tommajor@space.net.au> wrote in message
    >> >>

    >> >You have not given many specifics on what has been tried so I will start
    >> >with the basics.
    >> >Are you using a HUB or Router?
    >> >If a router are you using static or dynamic IP's on the systems?
    >> >Are both systems in the same subnet and Workgroup name?
    >> >Can you ping the other from each machine?
    >>
    >> This is what I have done so far:
    >>
    >> Not using a hub or router. Just trying a crossover cable between the
    >> two NICs.
    >>
    >> Have used the wizard in XP which will be the Guest machine as the old
    >> PC is the host which has the files I want to transfer over.
    >>
    >> Have used the XP wizard to set up a network with advanced settings as
    >> I do not want neither machine to have access to the net. Copied the
    >> network set up files on to a floppy and installed these on the old PC.
    >>
    >> Have set up the group called MS Home and I can see the two machines
    >> trying to talk toeach other as the LED is flashing on both NICs.
    >>
    >> I am obviously missing something very simple but I just cannot see it.
    >>

    >Yes, but are you able to 'Ping' the IP of each machine successfully?
    >Also, I have seen cases where a [SPACE] in the workgroup name caused a
    >problem. Try changing the name on both to just HOME and all upper-case.

    No I am unable to ping each machine and I have removed the space but
    still no go.

Dell Windows XP Computers