Email Lists on Treo 600

November 18, 2004 9:24:18 PM

Does anyone have a way to manage large email lists on a Treo 600?

Now I have only the free email client. There appears to be no way to
transfer email lists from my PC to my Treo.

What kinds of options do I have?

Thanks

--
Tom Denbo

More about : email lists treo 600

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 10:00:58 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:24:18 GMT, Tom Denbo had this to say...

> Does anyone have a way to manage large email lists on a Treo 600?
>
> Now I have only the free email client. There appears to be no way to
> transfer email lists from my PC to my Treo.
>
> What kinds of options do I have?
>
> Thanks

Do you mean an Inbox with allot of email?
-=OR=-
An address book with lots of email addresses?

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

I mean using a name to send email to a list of email addresses. I need
20-200 email addresses on my various lists.

--
Tom Denbo

"Jim Anderson" <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:24:18 GMT, Tom Denbo had this to say...
>

> > Does anyone have a way to manage large email lists on a Treo 600?
> >
> > Now I have only the free email client. There appears to be no way to
> > transfer email lists from my PC to my Treo.
> >
> > What kinds of options do I have?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Do you mean an Inbox with allot of email?
> -=OR=-
> An address book with lots of email addresses?
>
> --
> Hope this helps.
> Jim Anderson
> ( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Related resources
November 20, 2004 1:16:27 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:24:18 GMT, "Tom Denbo" <tdenbo1@earthlink.not>
wrote:

>Does anyone have a way to manage large email lists on a Treo 600?
>
>Now I have only the free email client. There appears to be no way to
>transfer email lists from my PC to my Treo.
>
>What kinds of options do I have?

If this is "distribution lists" (ie you have a name in your contacts
which is simply a group of email addresses to send to at the same
time) then you might struggle to find any.

I investigated this earlier this year as I then had a need to do it
and had just bought a new Zire 72, and ended up trying Eudora (which
I'd used for a couple of years on my old Palm Vx), Versamail (came
with the Zire 72), Agendus mail (which comes as part of Agendus which
I already use) and Snappermail. I even contemplated using yahoo mail,
setting up the addresses there and using that with Web Pro, but it was
too clunky.

None of this software appears to allow for the setup and maintenance
of distribution lists, even though most are mature in other ways.

The only workaround that I could think of, which unfortunately I
didn't have time to look into, was that you can sometimes set up
distribution lists when you control a domain name. *If* it's possible
to have the recipients of the list be outside the domain (ie the
domain is, for example, "mydomain.com", and the list-building set up
allows you set up "list1 @ mydomain.com" to forward not just to
jbloggs @mydomain.com but also joe @bloggs.com and a whole list of
others) then that might suffice - the only drawback being you'll need
to be online with a web browser to modify the lists.

If you *do* find a better alternative then please post again here
because I failed to find anything that worked similarly to most
Windows email clients.

Cheers
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 9:12:06 PM

Who about using Excel to manage an email list?

I find that easier even on the PC. I have several lists in one spread
sheet. By using filters, I can get any subset of the list.

Does anyone know if the Excel programs on the Treo support AutoFilters?

If I can get macros attached to buttons, I'd have the whole enchilada.

Thanks
--
Tom Denbo

"Adrian" <junkbandman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:24:18 GMT, "Tom Denbo" <tdenbo1@earthlink.not>
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have a way to manage large email lists on a Treo 600?
> >
> >Now I have only the free email client. There appears to be no way to
> >transfer email lists from my PC to my Treo.
> >
> >What kinds of options do I have?
>
> If this is "distribution lists" (ie you have a name in your contacts
> which is simply a group of email addresses to send to at the same
> time) then you might struggle to find any.
>
> I investigated this earlier this year as I then had a need to do it
> and had just bought a new Zire 72, and ended up trying Eudora (which
> I'd used for a couple of years on my old Palm Vx), Versamail (came
> with the Zire 72), Agendus mail (which comes as part of Agendus which
> I already use) and Snappermail. I even contemplated using yahoo mail,
> setting up the addresses there and using that with Web Pro, but it was
> too clunky.
>
> None of this software appears to allow for the setup and maintenance
> of distribution lists, even though most are mature in other ways.
>
> The only workaround that I could think of, which unfortunately I
> didn't have time to look into, was that you can sometimes set up
> distribution lists when you control a domain name. *If* it's possible
> to have the recipients of the list be outside the domain (ie the
> domain is, for example, "mydomain.com", and the list-building set up
> allows you set up "list1 @ mydomain.com" to forward not just to
> jbloggs @mydomain.com but also joe @bloggs.com and a whole list of
> others) then that might suffice - the only drawback being you'll need
> to be online with a web browser to modify the lists.
>
> If you *do* find a better alternative then please post again here
> because I failed to find anything that worked similarly to most
> Windows email clients.
>
> Cheers
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 9:14:27 PM

Bad news on spreadsheet support in Palm OS. According to DataVis (Documents
To Go), Palm OS does not support Macros, buttons, or pull-down menus. This
means that AutoFilters will not work. It also means that spreadsheet
support on Palm OS is poor.

I am surprised that this has not been addressed by PalmSource by now. If
they intend to offer spreadsheet support for business or personal use, this
is a must.

Also DataVis does not support named ranges. This means that you must
manually select ranges if you want to sort a data table - totally
unacceptable. I like the document sync system on Docs To Go. The native
Excel support is nice, but very limited. Features that are not supported in
Docs To Go seem to be stripped from the spreadsheet when you sync to the PC.

I could not get the trial for QuickSheets to work on my Treo 600, so I can't
discuss limitations there.

We have a long way to go to support useful spreadsheets.

I'll start investigating the Excel compatibility with PPC devices.
--
Tom Denbo

"Tom Denbo" <tdenbo1@earthlink.not> wrote in message
> Who about using Excel to manage an email list?
>
> I find that easier even on the PC. I have several lists in one spread
> sheet. By using filters, I can get any subset of the list.
>
> Does anyone know if the Excel programs on the Treo support AutoFilters?
>
> If I can get macros attached to buttons, I'd have the whole enchilada.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Tom Denbo
>
> "Adrian" <junkbandman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:24:18 GMT, "Tom Denbo" <tdenbo1@earthlink.not>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Does anyone have a way to manage large email lists on a Treo 600?
> > >
> > >Now I have only the free email client. There appears to be no way to
> > >transfer email lists from my PC to my Treo.
> > >
> > >What kinds of options do I have?
> >
> > If this is "distribution lists" (ie you have a name in your contacts
> > which is simply a group of email addresses to send to at the same
> > time) then you might struggle to find any.
> >
> > I investigated this earlier this year as I then had a need to do it
> > and had just bought a new Zire 72, and ended up trying Eudora (which
> > I'd used for a couple of years on my old Palm Vx), Versamail (came
> > with the Zire 72), Agendus mail (which comes as part of Agendus which
> > I already use) and Snappermail. I even contemplated using yahoo mail,
> > setting up the addresses there and using that with Web Pro, but it was
> > too clunky.
> >
> > None of this software appears to allow for the setup and maintenance
> > of distribution lists, even though most are mature in other ways.
> >
> > The only workaround that I could think of, which unfortunately I
> > didn't have time to look into, was that you can sometimes set up
> > distribution lists when you control a domain name. *If* it's possible
> > to have the recipients of the list be outside the domain (ie the
> > domain is, for example, "mydomain.com", and the list-building set up
> > allows you set up "list1 @ mydomain.com" to forward not just to
> > jbloggs @mydomain.com but also joe @bloggs.com and a whole list of
> > others) then that might suffice - the only drawback being you'll need
> > to be online with a web browser to modify the lists.
> >
> > If you *do* find a better alternative then please post again here
> > because I failed to find anything that worked similarly to most
> > Windows email clients.
> >
> > Cheers

November 23, 2004 11:50:05 PM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:14:27 GMT, "Tom Denbo" <tdenbo1@earthlink.not>
wrote:

>Bad news on spreadsheet support in Palm OS. According to DataVis (Documents
>To Go), Palm OS does not support Macros, buttons, or pull-down menus. This
>means that AutoFilters will not work. It also means that spreadsheet
>support on Palm OS is poor.
>
>I am surprised that this has not been addressed by PalmSource by now. If
>they intend to offer spreadsheet support for business or personal use, this
>is a must.

However Excel's memory usage is orders of magnitude larger than Docs
To Go's spreadsheet because it is able to do many things including
behaviours that are closer to database functions without it actually
being a database application - filters, views and reports, along with
the other things that Excel does such as a sophisticated
object-oriented programming language and supporting embedded live
charts and images directly on the sheet.

Given that what you're after is a list you can filter, you might be
better off with a simple database rather than a spreadsheet. However,
clipboard restrictions might be a problem - I don't know how easily
you can transfer "reported filtered data" out of a typical Palm
spreadsheet into another application such as the "to" field in an
email program - the email program has to know that what's on the
clipboard is usable data and strip out non-text data.

Where do you expect to manage the list(s) - on your computer or on the
Palm itself?

>We have a long way to go to support useful spreadsheets.

I have useful spreadsheets on my Zire 72 and had them for years on my
Palm Vx. They just don't have the bells and whistles available in
Microsoft Excel 2000, but they are definitely useful spreadsheets.

>I'll start investigating the Excel compatibility with PPC devices.

Funnily enough I've been told that the "round-trip"-ing is just as
poor, though I've never used one so have no first hand experience.
!