"lock" windows XP

I have just installed Win XP ( sp1) and have relatively little experience
using it. I have used Win 2000 since it came out, but there is something I'm
missing.
How do I "lock" the computer while it's on to prevent another user (stopping
my DVD writer for example) getting access.
3 answers Last reply
More about lock windows

    Press the Windows key and L at the same time. You can also create a shortcut in the quick launch bar using the command line:

    %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32,LockWorkStation

    Additionally, Windows XP supports Fast User Switching, which allows your profile to run in the background while another user is actively using it. If you don't create additional user accounts, this isn't an issue. If you do, and you don't want multiple logons, follow the steps in Daniel's post and turn off Fast User Switching. You can leave the Welcome Screen enabled, if desired.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    EssieP wrote:
    > I have just installed Win XP ( sp1) and have relatively little experience
    > using it. I have used Win 2000 since it came out, but there is something I'm
    > missing.
    > How do I "lock" the computer while it's on to prevent another user (stopping
    > my DVD writer for example) getting access.

    Pretty much like Win2K, there at least 4 ways to lock a WinXP (Home or
    Pro) workstation:

    1) Use the Windows Key + L hot key.

    2) You can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then <ENTER>, once you've turned
    off the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching. (This is the default
    in a domain environment, as FUS is contrary to the domain security
    paradigm.)

    3) You can create a desktop shortcut with
    "%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation" in the
    target field. (It is case-sensitive, BTW.) You can then assign a
    keyboard shortcut.

    4) Set a password protected screensaver, and wait the allotted time
    without touching the mouse or keyboard.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    You can use the Windows 2000 classic logon so as to lock the computer as you locked in Windows 2000:

    1. Open Start, Control Panel.
    2. Click on User Accounts.
    3. Select User Accounts.
    4. Click on Change the way users log on or off.
    5. Uncheck the 'Use the Welcome screen' box. ('Use Fast User Switching' option is automatically unchecked too.)
    6. Click on Apply Options.

    --
    Greetings,
    Daniel Martín

    "EssieP" <mdd@mdalgleish.co.uk> wrote in message news:evbjqEzrFHA.2588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >I have just installed Win XP ( sp1) and have relatively little experience
    > using it. I have used Win 2000 since it came out, but there is something I'm
    > missing.
    > How do I "lock" the computer while it's on to prevent another user (stopping
    > my DVD writer for example) getting access.

Microsoft Windows XP