"lock" windows XP

September 2, 2005 1:10:15 AM

I have just installed Win XP ( sp1) and have relatively little experience
using it. I have used Win 2000 since it came out, but there is something I'm
missing.
How do I "lock" the computer while it's on to prevent another user (stopping
my DVD writer for example) getting access.

More about : lock windows

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 1:10:16 AM

Press the Windows key and L at the same time. You can also create a shortcut in the quick launch bar using the command line:

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32,LockWorkStation

Additionally, Windows XP supports Fast User Switching, which allows your profile to run in the background while another user is actively using it. If you don't create additional user accounts, this isn't an issue. If you do, and you don't want multiple logons, follow the steps in Daniel's post and turn off Fast User Switching. You can leave the Welcome Screen enabled, if desired.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

EssieP wrote:
> I have just installed Win XP ( sp1) and have relatively little experience
> using it. I have used Win 2000 since it came out, but there is something I'm
> missing.
> How do I "lock" the computer while it's on to prevent another user (stopping
> my DVD writer for example) getting access.

Pretty much like Win2K, there at least 4 ways to lock a WinXP (Home or
Pro) workstation:

1) Use the Windows Key + L hot key.

2) You can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then <ENTER>, once you've turned
off the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching. (This is the default
in a domain environment, as FUS is contrary to the domain security
paradigm.)

3) You can create a desktop shortcut with
"%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation" in the
target field. (It is case-sensitive, BTW.) You can then assign a
keyboard shortcut.

4) Set a password protected screensaver, and wait the allotted time
without touching the mouse or keyboard.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:20:16 AM

You can use the Windows 2000 classic logon so as to lock the computer as you locked in Windows 2000:

1. Open Start, Control Panel.
2. Click on User Accounts.
3. Select User Accounts.
4. Click on Change the way users log on or off.
5. Uncheck the 'Use the Welcome screen' box. ('Use Fast User Switching' option is automatically unchecked too.)
6. Click on Apply Options.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín