Apple G5 megacluster

g5_inside

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
Check this out.. not only is it fast as hell, it's also the sexiest cluster on the planet.

<A HREF="http://computing.vt.edu/research_computing/terascale/" target="_new">http://computing.vt.edu/research_computing/terascale/</A>

Instead of using cheap components (read: cheap PC components), Virginia Tech used top-of-the-line mac g5 computers. Currently rated at 9.555 TFlops, the 5.2 million $ project kicks the crap out of comparible PC-based clusters that cost 2-3 times as much. Ouch... G5 wins again...

eden

Champion
Hi sweety poo.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

eden

Champion
Ah come on, let us rejoice. A world of PC and Mac bois dancing together, isn't that utopian?

I wanna make sweet Platonic love to you. (very oxymoronic)

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh I like the November 2003 PCMag On page 34
A B C is each computer A and B is apple and C is Athlon64

Ok here the test scores between
A. apple power Mac G5 two 2-ghz PowerPC G5s
B. apple power Mac G5 1.8ghz PowerPC G5s
C. Allenware Aurora 2.2Ghz FX-5

Premiere 6

Render

A. 4
B. 5
C. 4
Quck time

A. 72
B. 84
C. 37

C. 21

A. 16
B. 19
C. 8

Auto
Sumarize
A. 12
B. 14
C. 6
B. 147
C. 335

1600 by 1200
A. 207
B. 141
C. 257

How they test. All unit had 1gb of ramand ati Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card with 128mb of memory. In Premiere They timed the rendering of the workpace and export of a movie at 720 by 480 res., 30 fps into quick timeformatIn photoshopthey timed the operation of ten fiters on a 50 imaga file in word they execution of a search and replace and the auto summarize function each on a large document. They recorded aaverage frame rates running Quake 3verson 1.32 timedemo 4. Pc test preformed by Pc worldtest Center. apple system teste by Macworld test center.

Hay everyone I wrote this down from a Magazine. PC Mag. Page 34. I just wrote the Scores from Apple and Amd system. So g5 Please get your fact in order.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that really funny Cray computers doing something with athlon computers. there makeing one of world largest super computers so that drops that g5 speed.

So like always Apple Loses with Price and Power

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
The only reason why it is the fastest yet built for the money is because it is newest...should someone build a cluster out of A64s, FXs, or P4s, etc., for the same price as that G5 cluster, I would imagine that it would indeed be faster (how could it not, 1 is, so why wouldnt 1200 be?) BTW...what do you mean G5 wins AGAIN? When has it EVER won?

RDRAM = ENEMY

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Screw the apples, <A HREF="http://don.cc.vt.edu/g5sinracks/slides/IMG_2357.JPG" target="_new"> I WANT ONE OF THOSE VENTILATORS </A>

<font color=blue>
The farce is ended; draw the curtain </font color=blue>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
HAHAHA, image combining that with just one dual overclocked opteron system...might beat that entire cluster. (Probably not, but it would certainly be more respectable)

RDRAM = ENEMY

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i totally disagree. You get marketing.

Macs were pretty unique back in the day, with the lcII and lcIII's because they could outperform or at least perform on par with pc's released while mantaining a competitive price (not to mention being a lot smaller). But now the price that you pay on the top model of mac pc's you could buy a dual opteron full blown game server.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pIII_Man on 11/01/03 05:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
I forgive you. I know you've been dumped by someone, but please, don't hurt the PIII Man, he's sekzy and a great date. Hey PIII MAN wanna go out with G5_inside?

--

eden

Champion
Well, looks like we found his "G" Spot eh. :smile:

--

G

4.4 terrabytes of <b> non ECC </b>RAM. Thats one weird cluster I tell you. That thing has to be producing memory corruption errors (and therefore quite possibly, wrong results) like on an hourly basis.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I would much rather get a system from www.go-l.com for the price, not only would it be TREMENDOUSLY FASTER, but it looks just as cool as the G5's pretty box (and a lot more manly), but also has available solid state harddrives, something Apple hasn't done.

In reality though, if I had 5 grand to drop on a computer, I'd build an overclocked dualopteron...which would kick any PC's @ss.

RDRAM = ENEMY

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
I wonder... i remeber a while back some one had taken a G4 500 when they first came out and was able to super cool it some how so that they could over clock it to something like 1Ghz...

i don;t ever here much about OC Mac's but i got to wonder what they are capable of.

would you buy a G5 if you could over clock it...

<b>on the verge of catastohy (y1.999...k)</b>
ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro - WD 80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Probably not...I'd lose a lot of software and games. If it actually did perform to it's worth and was capable of running any application I wanted at full speed, then maybe. But at that point, why wouldn't I just get a PC??

The only thing I actually like about OSX is the dock, but I have objectdock, which is better IMHO.

Oh yeah, I couldn't live with having to actually pay for a lot of my software--seems that Kazaa has a relatively limited amount of Apple-platform software.

I wonder though: does the G5 system have the same 2+DIMM problem as the 875 chipset? It doesn't use registered RAM (I actually LIKE it and think it is necessary for the FX [and futue iterations of it] to at least have registered RAM be an option--I would hate to have a FX with middling RAM performance when used in quantities), leaving there the chance of the half-assed performance that the 875 displayed. However, what gamer NEEDS 2GB of RAM?? If someone was out to get a workstation that had 2GB+ of RAM, they would be better off in everyway (except price relative to a single P4 system) to get a dual Xeon or dual Opteron system with registered RAM.

As for dual opteron or dual xeon vs. dual G5, just look at the opteron vs dual G5 benchmark numbers, including the price, then talk to me after that.

RDRAM = ENEMY

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
wonder though: does the G5 system have the same 2+DIMM problem as the 875 chipset? It doesn't use registered RAM (I actually LIKE it and think it is necessary for the FX [and futue iterations of it] to at least have registered RAM be an option--I would hate to have a FX with middling RAM performance when used in quantities), leaving there the chance of the half-assed performance that the 875 displayed. However, what gamer NEEDS 2GB of RAM?? If someone was out to get a workstation that had 2GB+ of RAM, they would be better off in everyway (except price relative to a single P4 system) to get a dual Xeon or dual Opteron system with registered RAM.

That is big scrap

I dont like french test