VS 6.0 on Win XP SP2

September 1, 2005 5:49:14 PM

I am trying to install Visual Studio 6.0 on Windows XP SP2. The
installation goes smoothly until it gets to the section where it copies
system files and registers them. It fails on pdm.dll and I believe
that this is due to the Windows File Protection.

Can anyone tell me how to, or point me to a method of getting past this?

More about : win sp2

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 6:36:13 PM

One thing I've thought about trying was disabling the System File
Checker and then re-enabling it after the installation.
September 2, 2005 2:50:21 AM

"Shirizaan" <shirizaan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install Visual Studio 6.0 on Windows XP SP2. The
> installation goes smoothly until it gets to the section where it copies
> system files and registers them. It fails on pdm.dll and I believe
> that this is due to the Windows File Protection.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to, or point me to a method of getting past this?
Hi
Read Here

http://arstechnica.com/tweak/win2k/others/disable_sfp-1...

But Take care
Chas
September 2, 2005 6:56:37 PM

Shirizaan <shirizaan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install Visual Studio 6.0 on Windows XP SP2. The
> installation goes smoothly until it gets to the section where it copies
> system files and registers them. It fails on pdm.dll and I believe
> that this is due to the Windows File Protection.

You should not need to disable WFP.

Make sure no unnecessary programs are running, and
that anti-virus+anti-spyware monitors are not
running. Install VS6, reboot, then install SP6,
then MSDN. Finally, if desired, install the
FEB 2003 Platform SDK, the last PSDK that
supports VS6.

re: pdm.dll look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=227152

Apparently VS SP3 and above will correct it.

On my machine this DLL does not even exist, but
I only have VC++ installed, no VB etc.

Because of this, I would ASSUME that you can
ignore any error about it failing to install
properly and just install SP6 which should
clean things up.
!