OptiPlex GX110

I know this system is old. But, has anyone ran into "Unknown Device" in
Device Manager after installing Windows XP.
I have GX110 800 MHz CPU and 515MB RAM w/ 40Gig HD.
System ran well without any device problems with Win9X. Did clean install of
XP and now I have this.

I haven't ran into any problems. No known hardware issues. Is there a
resolution or should I just use the philosophy,"If it isn't broke don't fix
it."?

Replacing this system is not an option at this time.

Thanks in advance,
K Gene

I have a fleet of those at work.

You need to install the Dell GX 110 drivers that were not included in Win
XP.

You can do this with the blue Optiplex Resource CD, or
you can download the drivers at www.Dell.com.

"KEVIN WELLS" <techwolf@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I know this system is old. But, has anyone ran into "Unknown Device" in
>Device Manager after installing Windows XP.
> I have GX110 800 MHz CPU and 515MB RAM w/ 40Gig HD.
> System ran well without any device problems with Win9X. Did clean install
> of XP and now I have this.
>
> I haven't ran into any problems. No known hardware issues. Is there a
> resolution or should I just use the philosophy,"If it isn't broke don't
> fix it."?
>
> Replacing this system is not an option at this time.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> K Gene

"KEVIN WELLS" <techwolf@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I know this system is old. But, has anyone ran into "Unknown Device" in
>Device Manager after installing Windows XP.
> I have GX110 800 MHz CPU and 515MB RAM w/ 40Gig HD.
> System ran well without any device problems with Win9X. Did clean install
> of XP and now I have this.
>
> I haven't ran into any problems. No known hardware issues. Is there a
> resolution or should I just use the philosophy,"If it isn't broke don't
> fix it."?
>
> Replacing this system is not an option at this time.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> K Gene

If you were to wipe WinXP off that system and do a clean reinstall of Win9X,
you'd likely have "unknown device" bangs all over in device manager.

Were all external devices (other than mouse, kb and monitor) disconnected
from the system during the install? If not, that may be the device.

Another easy way to figure it out would be to compare the cards installed in
the system and match them to entries in device manager ( ie- sound/game
controllers, modem, etc.).

Stew

TechWolf

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

You know that did the trick. I had downloaded from Dell's site. But I was
able to find an old Resource CD and that took care of them.
Thanks all!