Sign in with
Your question

Xeon 3.06 vs P4

Last response: in CPUs
November 3, 2003 12:47:53 PM

We are going to buy new systems to run AutoDesk's Inventor, 3D studio, and MS office software's. The system that has been quoted so far is show below. The system also has only one processor. Is this the best for my money? Please help me Identify the biggest and baddest system to put on my desk, should be HP.

ITEM DESCRIPTION /MFG. PART NUMBER UNIT PRICE
462145 HP XW8000 7/3.06 36GB 512MB XPP 2649.00

532640 HP NVIDIA QUADRO 980XGL 128MB AGP 624.85

460017 SIMPLE 2GB DDR KIT HP WORKSTATION 785.00

More about : xeon

November 3, 2003 1:59:29 PM

Most of us build using off the shelf parts that aren't propriatary and definetly don't try to try to use all parts from one manufacturer. If you are going with HP have them build the machine so you get a good warrenty.

Shadus
November 3, 2003 2:12:01 PM

Let me translate. 64bit vs 32 bit. Data performance vs multimedia performance.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!
Related resources
November 3, 2003 2:18:45 PM

My main question is should I use a single Xeon 3.06 or a P4 Processor as the core part of this system? My IT manager will not buy anything but HP & CDW... After reading the review about the Xeon 3.06 I was not confident that it is the best chose for us to use...for solid molding and rendering.
November 3, 2003 2:49:52 PM

You can save a huge sum of money by turning regular Radeon 9800 Pro into a FireGL card.

<A HREF="http://www.nvworld.ru/docs/sfgl_e.html" target="_new"> This link </A> explains how it is made possible.

It's a long article but it's worth reading.

IMHO you should get DIY ( Do It Yourself ) systems instead of pre-built boxes, technical support should'nt be an issue since large manufacturers are known to be slow and incompetent whenever one of their system fails, even when under warrenty.

It'll most likely be faster to troubleshoot issues yourself, unless you like to wait on hold while a CSR browse trough a manual, only to get back to you saying "I'm sorry sir, but we never heard of such a problem before, my supervisor says we don't support that kind of problem, have you tried to see if the cord is plugged in the power outlet ?"

Fok Speling Misstake
November 3, 2003 3:19:41 PM

If you are going single chip design a P4EE 3.2 800mhz fsb would be a better option on a i875 chipset board. Since this is for business and stability is a critical issue I'd suggest the intel board for it but that isn't hp (even though intel would probally know more about making boards for their chips than hp...)

Shadus
November 3, 2003 3:20:41 PM

He already said this isn't really an option. He has no choice in the matter.

Get whatever they give you, anything 3ghz or better is gonna cook with 2g of decent ram and a good vid card.

Shadus
November 3, 2003 4:01:09 PM

*Cough* 2+DIMMS *Cough* 875Chipset *cough* Might not work to expectations, unless you get registered RAM and the HP motherboard can utilize it. I'd get the dual 3.2GHz Xeon and 2GB+ of RAM from HP.

RDRAM = ENEMY
November 3, 2003 6:24:18 PM

Hint, that's already been debunked, search the forum a bit.

Shadus
November 3, 2003 6:24:40 PM

Oh yah, and I agree... a DUEL xeon is better, but he's talking single chip.

Shadus
November 3, 2003 6:46:18 PM

Ohhhh... :frown: Why aren't people being fun and getting dualies any more?? I know I will for my next computer.

RDRAM = (ENEMY)^2
November 3, 2003 7:06:49 PM

To much cost, to little benefit except in limited applications (this should be getting remedied as more companies program for smp and ht though.)

Shadus
November 3, 2003 7:12:35 PM

the only cheep dualy solution is the athlon mp, but that doesnt perform too well with only 133mhz fsb and a very old core and chipset. Back in the day when people used to dual process their piii's celerons and durons dualies were worth it, but now you have to shell out he $$ for a full fledged xeon to get a decent MP solution :frown:

BTW i would go for an 800mhz fsb p4. The xeon won't really help to much in single cpu situations, it has a shitload of cache but i think for your apps the 800mhz fsb of the p4c will outshadow that.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy
November 3, 2003 8:06:55 PM

I have to wait 2 years for the upgrade, so the P4C might not be the best option then (heck, it isn't now). I did the get chance to use a few dualies recently and loved them, however. If I had to upgrade now, I'd do dual Opteron--but I don't have to and I have no interest to (or the money for a dualie right now).

RDRAM = (ENEMY)^2
November 3, 2003 8:11:46 PM

Yeah, I know too few companies really program for SMP, let alone HT, but it would be cool to say encode a movie for a digital movie-making class (which isn't even offered at my HS) and play a HL2 simultaneously.

I am what I consider to be a lazy multitasker; once I open something it stays open until I shutdown (unless it's photoshop or indesign--those memory hogs). Dual monitors really help too (as well as my 1GB of ram). Too bad my computer doesnt have a second CPU or even HT--that would just be kickass.

RDRAM = (ENEMY)^2
November 3, 2003 8:18:30 PM

i think most modern progies being compiled are taking advantage of HT. SMP is a diffrent story however most good a/v encoding programs do support smp.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b α HP
November 3, 2003 9:10:25 PM

Why not consider an Opteron system ? Have a look <A HREF="http://www.cadonline.com/reviews/hardware/1103workstati..." target="_new"> here </A>. The opteron based Xi workstation outclasses the 3.2 Xeons (dual setups, but still) on the cadalyst tests. Those test should matter to you..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
November 4, 2003 12:06:41 PM

Autodesk software only suports singels...
thank you all for all of your time.
November 4, 2003 12:50:35 PM

> digital movie-making class (which isn't even
> offered at my HS) and play a HL2 simultaneously.

Unfortunetly even using a duel processor setup you won't be doing that :)  You can only shove so much water down a given passageway no matter how many pipes you have leading into it.

Shadus
November 4, 2003 12:53:05 PM

I'd say mainly because he's getting a SINGLE PROCESSOR system not a duel. That's why I said the p4ee would be better than a xeon (faster bus, same cache).

Shadus
November 4, 2003 12:53:06 PM

I'd say mainly because he's getting a SINGLE PROCESSOR system not a duel. That's why I said the p4ee would be better than a xeon (faster bus, same cache).

Shadus
November 4, 2003 2:45:22 PM

I know, but it's always fun to imagine that I might actually have fun while doing homework. Anyway, at this rate with Valve, we might actually see a duelie that could do that (say the Xeon version of Pentium 5).

RDRAM = (ENEMY)^2
November 4, 2003 2:53:47 PM

I also vote for the P4EE if he wants the baddest singlecpu system.

RDRAM = (ENEMY)^2
!