Can anyone recommend software that will allow me to copy my Windows onto
another hard drive and beable to boot up from there?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

You might want to check out Norton Ghost. This can make an image of one hard
drive and then you can put this image on a new hard drive. Options include
to CD or DVD.

Personally, I would just use my windows xp install cd and start from scratch
on the new drive, then after you have installed the OS on the new drive, plug
in your old drive and copy over the files that you need from it to the new
one. You will have to reinstall all your programs if you do it this way
though.

Hope this Helps

"Skip Bisconer" wrote:

> Can anyone recommend software that will allow me to copy my Windows onto
> another hard drive and beable to boot up from there?
>
> I appreciate any help you can give me.

Sorry, I meant to say Symantec Ghost and not Norton Ghost.

"Skip Bisconer" wrote:

> Can anyone recommend software that will allow me to copy my Windows onto
> another hard drive and beable to boot up from there?
>
> I appreciate any help you can give me.

You may wish to visit the support website of the manufacturer of your
new hard drive and see if they have a free utility program that you can use to
accomplish this task. For example, if you have a new Western Digital drive,
you can download their free Data Lifeguard Tools which includes "drive-to-drive
copy capability".
Ref: http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Skip Bisconer" wrote:

| Can anyone recommend software that will allow me to copy my Windows onto
| another hard drive and beable to boot up from there?
|
| I appreciate any help you can give me.

Acronis True Image will image/ghost/copy the old drive to the new.
Uninstall old ...install new........and your up and running.
Its a great tool to have around even if your new HD comes with software to
do this already.
Here is the website to look into it
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/
peterk

"Skip Bisconer" <SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend software that will allow me to copy my Windows onto
> another hard drive and beable to boot up from there?
>
> I appreciate any help you can give me.

If you're asking the question, you probably need alot of help doing the
hardware end of the swap too.
Get a retail version hard disk. Comes with a flyer that shows every step of
the way on how to do the hard drive swap, maybe a new ide ribbon cable, and
a boot floppy that makes the copy for you. Don't forget to register the
hard drive with the manufacturer. Get an extended warranty if available.
Write down the serial number before installing, they'll need it for
registering and the warranty.

"Skip Bisconer" <SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend software that will allow me to copy my Windows onto
> another hard drive and beable to boot up from there?
>
> I appreciate any help you can give me.

br549

"Skip Bisconer" <SkipBisconer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend software that will allow me to copy my Windows onto
> another hard drive and beable to boot up from there?
>
> I appreciate any help you can give me.

I use Ghost 2003 and can make a bootable copy of my XP drive (17gb used) in
10 to 20 minutes.

=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24gUnlvbg==?= wrote:

> Sorry, I meant to say Symantec Ghost and not Norton Ghost.

But Symantec calls it Norton Ghost:
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

=?Utf-8?B?U2tpcCBCaXNjb25lcg==?= wrote:

> Can anyone recommend software that will allow me to copy my Windows onto
> another hard drive and beable to boot up from there?

http://www.xxclone.com/
FREE

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

peterk Wrote:
> Acronis True Image will image/ghost/copy the old drive to the new.
> Uninstall old ...install new........and your up and running.
> Its a great tool to have around even if your new HD comes with software
> do this already.
> Here is the website to look into it
> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/
> peterk[/color]

Peterk, you are right, I prefer use examined method. That's why I give
no credence to freeware program. I've been using 'True Image'
(http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) for a year,
and during this period I could test it very good. To my oppinion it's
really dependable and foolproof software.
It has very friendly intuitive wizard. So I just click "Disk clone"
and follow the instructions, it's actually easy.
Recommend!

--
Jucy

Thanks for all your suggestions. I appreciate your time and your brains.

"Skip Bisconer" wrote:

> Can anyone recommend software that will allow me to copy my Windows onto
> another hard drive and beable to boot up from there?
>
> I appreciate any help you can give me.

I ended up with Acronis True Image which I purchased direct from their wed
site and it worked perfectly. The only hitch I had was I could not get the
old IBM 13 gb drive to act as a slave and work in conjuction with the new
drive. I just booted to one and copyied the data over to another computer on
my network then have shelfed the old drive to use in an emergancy. Thanks
again for all your suggestions.