Maybe he'll trade for a MM or AFM!

me thinks it's someone who genuinely thinks it's worth that much

Aeneas.

I was watching that auction because it is close to me and I have some
EM's to sell (Strato-Flite & 300)and I wanted to see current pricing in
the area. Prior to today, my recollection is that the opening bid
price was set at $499.95, and it looks to have been revised.

My guess is that he expected people to line up to buy it and pay him
way more than $499.95, and when there was no action he decided to up
the price and pursue a diffeent sales strategy rather than "let it go"
for price of the opening bid at the last second.

I do not think that would have happened, but who knows. If people are
paying $500 for a non-working machine (albeit in nice condition), I
wonder what my nice clean working Strato-Flite would go for?

Ron