Can I use my audiolab 8000A with a pair of 8000P monoblocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-Fi

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I am currently using my Audiolab 800A intergrated amp and am biamping with the 8000p power amp. Can I use the 8000A as a sole pre-amp and connect two 8000M monoblocks?

I may be able to obtain a bargin on the 8000M' but would prefer not to purchase a seperate pre-amp such as the 8000Q.

Furthermore could I use the 8000M'S to drive the bass of my Castle Harlech floorstanding speakers whilst the 8000P drives the treble?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Nice bi amping connection. Meaning music wise. You can do this with no problem. Do you have a cross over to use and try first? I would call Audio Lab and consult them first.

Hi-Fi

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hi Musical marv,

Thanks for your prompt response. May I ask what do you mean when you make reference to 'a cross over'? Also can you remind me what is the ohm level of the Castle Harlechs?

Many Thanks

Hi-Fi

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

Hi-Fi

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hi marv,

I have just returned home with my second Audiolab 8000p power amp (100 w per channel) .

The plan was to have one supplying the bass whilst the other power amp drives the treble of my floorstanding Castle Harlechs.

Before today I was successfully bi-amping the speakers using the power stage of the 8000a integrated amp and the 8000p. What I am now finding is that for some reason unknown to me it is only coming out of one speaker at best or coming out of both at other times but only the treble can be heard among some nasty sounding humming/buzzing.

The new (second hand 8000p) appears to be working fine (I think?).

I have one run of the Chord Company Rumor speaker cable connected to one power amp (bass) and the other run connected to the second power amp (treble).

I have 2 separate pairs of Chord Company Cobra 3 digital interconnects.

Please help ASAP!

Many Thanks

Mark

Hi-Fi

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hi Marv,

I'm still working on this into the night.

I am at present enjoying a nice piece of Miles Davies.

I now have an equal balance of both bass and treble coming out of both left and right channels of my speakers.

The only thing I am now confused about is that I achieved this by removing the speaker cable from the 8000p power amp and inserting into the speaker terminals of the 8000a which I was hoping would act as a sole pre-amp.

Is this usual practice or am I missing something.

Still not sure about the sound as although it is much louder and does appear to exercise more control over the music it feels as if it has lacked a certain degree of the smoothness that I originally had with the 8000a/8000p combination, might just need a few days to warm up and integrate into the system maybe?

Can you advise me of the best means of getting the most out of the 8000a & two 8000p's.

Yours Gratefully

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.