web page graphics aren't loading right after SP1

sowellfan

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Ok, this is strange. I have an Athlon XP 1700+ with a Via KT266A mobo, with 512 megs of RAM. I'm running WinXP, and just yesterday I installed SP1 through automatic update. Now, when I go to various web pages, some of the graphics just show up with the red x's. For example, on the main Toms Hardware page, the category pictures wouldn't show up (the hard drive picture that shows up next to the Storage heading, etc.). Also, the 'Send Private Msg' and 'Read Private Msg' tags that show up on the left side of the community area showed up as red x's at first, but now they are appearing fine. Looking at the XP forum, the graphics that indicate that a thread is one notch deeper won't show up right, either. The same thing happens on Fark.com and other websites.

Any suggestions?

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
I get the same problem. All I can say is right click on picture and choose "Show Picture", but other than that I try to use Netscape Navigator.

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Yeah i read about this problem a lot lately, i suppose you got 3 choices:
1. wait till another update is out
2. uninstall SP1
3. find a third party fix

<font color=purple> "After great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"</font color=purple>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I don't have this problem and I have sp1 installed. I did the full install though and didn't use the automatic update online.

Maybe try resetting all your options to default under
tools/internet options/advanced/restore defaults

The fact that some of the graphics work and some don't is something I've seen on this site before though since it's so slow and I'm on dialup, but I doubt that's the issue.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

ddarby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
I agree. I did a clean install of XP, installed SP1 and everything is working perfect! Internet explorer is noteably faster accessing webpages as well!

My system:-
Athlon XP2100 MSI K7T-2UltraR mainboad
IBM 120GXP x 2 RAID0 onboard
Liteon CDBURNER
Liteon CDROM
512 meg PC2700 @ CAS2
etc.

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Try relaxing the security and privacy settings in IE6 tools>options a bit. I know SP1 resets the default in IE6 and outlook a bit higher than usual in some cases. But I like not having advertisements taking forever to load and tracking my movements with cookies.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink: