how to transfer windows to new Hard drive

I was using Windows XP Prof on my PC, and was supplied with a Recovery CD
for Windows along with my PC, and the Hard Drive crashed, Now i wish to
install Windows on a new Hard Drive, but the CD is a recover CD.
How do i install Windows to new Hard Drive without encountering the problem
of CD Key already being registered.... Please help.

D.P.S.
2 answers Last reply
More about transfer windows hard drive

    The "CD Key already being registered" will not be an issue for you.

    What you DO need to consider is what, exactly, is on your recovery CDs.

    Some of those CDs will re-create the files on the hard drive exactly as they
    were installed from the factory.
    Other recovery CDs, however, are little more than a tool that enables you to
    access a hidden partition on the hard drive, where those files are stored.
    In these cases, having a dead hard drive means that you can not restore your
    system. If that is your situation, you will have to contact your system
    manufacturer to get a set of CDs that will rebuild the hidden partition. [I
    recently had to obtain a set from HP. The cost, including shipping, was
    under $25.00)

    Read the manual that came with your system.

    steve

    "D.P.Singh" <dp.singh@tainet.net> wrote in message
    >I was using Windows XP Prof on my PC, and was supplied with a Recovery CD
    > for Windows along with my PC, and the Hard Drive crashed, Now i wish to
    > install Windows on a new Hard Drive, but the CD is a recover CD.
    > How do i install Windows to new Hard Drive without encountering the
    > problem
    > of CD Key already being registered.... Please help.
    >
    > D.P.S.

    "D.P.Singh" <dp.singh@tainet.net> wrote in message
    >I was using Windows XP Prof on my PC, and was supplied with a Recovery CD
    > for Windows along with my PC, and the Hard Drive crashed, Now i wish to
    > install Windows on a new Hard Drive, but the CD is a recover CD.
    > How do i install Windows to new Hard Drive without encountering the
    > problem
    > of CD Key already being registered.... Please help.
    >
    > D.P.S.

    Being registered has nothing to do with it and as far as activating the
    install of windows a 2nd time is a non-issue.

Hard Drives CD-Rom Windows XP