Cyclist

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my difficulty with a recently purchased Samsung PX2370.

Problem:

Right out of nowhere this monitor will just turn itself off and then back on again within a few seconds.
There is no pattern to it, although it seems to happen when I'm moving the mouse. It's one of those
intermittant problems that drive you crazy. Rebooting doesn't help.

Setup Details:

- I'm using a DVI cable.
- The tower is a Dell 4600 with an independent AGP video card (ATI Radeon 9250). I know the tower
and card are functioning properly because before this problem started I had a Samsung LCD monitor
(931BF) connected for 2 years without issue.
- I know the Radeon 9250 can handle the PX2370's native resolution (1920 x 1080).
- There is only one refresh rate available and that is 60 Hz.
- I'm using Windows XP and the monitor power setting is set to never turn off.
- I have the latest drivers installed for the PX2370 (there is only one version) & Radeon 9250.

After Googling endlessly to solve this I concluded it was a problem with the PX2370 power supply.
So, I returned the monitor (Futureshop) and obtained another one. This went smoothly because
I'd only had the monitor for a week before the problem started. Now I have this second PX2370
hooked up and the problem has returned. It's the same intermittant ON/OFF behaviour.

I'm a fairly experienced computer person, but this has me stumped. I haven't yet tried hooking
this monitor up to another tower. Maybe I should? I don't think it's a power cord or outlet issue
because I'm using the same cords and wall outlet as I did with the previous LCD monitor, which
worked fine. I've reconnected the previous LCD monitor and it works fine, so I don't think I've
inadvertently damaged anything.

I've thought about possible BIOS settings, but I don't think there's anything in there to change.
Besides, I shouldn't have to change any BIOS settings if the previous monitor worked fine.

I thought about whether I was overheating the videocard somehow, but this problem occurs
without any load on the system (using only Excel or email).

Any ideas are welcomed. I really like this Samsung model, but I'm seriously ready to give up.
It is possible I've received two PX2370's with faulty power supplies?

Thanks for your time.

Cyclist

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Well, I certainly don't plan on opening up and fixing a new product myself.
FWIW, I had 4 or 5 days without the problem. Then it happened again.
It's aggravating to say the least.

Enough is enough. I'd love this to be user-error, but I don't think so.
This second PX2370 goes back tomorrow.

Thanks anyway.

G

Hey bro

How'd you go with this? I've had the exact same problem. I had no troubles for about 2 months... then the other night it switched off. Turned it on, and 20 mins later it turned off again. It repeated this untill the on/off time was around 5 seconds. Eventually, I couldn't switch it on at all.

Left it unplugged overnight, and it did the same the next day. and the next day (today). I thought it was a power supply problem. However, I switch it off (at the touch button) and it will switch itself on. I think maybe just a defect unit. Spent some nice $ on this though... and want my money's worth.

Let us know how things turn out for you please bro.

Cheers,

Jonno

Cyclist

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Jonno,

I wish I had an update for you, but I don't. The two PX2370's I was working with
were for someone in my family. I suggested returning the second one as well, but
he decided to keep it and "see what happens". Currently he's vacationing for the
winter and the system is not up and running.

I'm still thinking it's a defective power supply. Similar issue to yours. I've had
similar problems in another monitor. The intermittancy of the problem drove me
up the wall. I finally replaced the monitor and never had another problem.