Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Color quality and viewing angle, ISP vs TN

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 20, 2010 11:28:08 PM

Im looking to get a new monitor. This is probably a basic question but I dont know the answer and I dont have any ISP monitors around make a first hand comparison.

Im looking at the Dell U2311H in particular. Is there going to be a noticeable difference in color and picture quality verse say a nice Samsung TN monitor when its only viewed from straight ahead. Ill mainly be using this for gaming and watching movies.

I understand the slower response time of the ISP but image quality is more important to me than response time. The Dell is about at the max for my budget but Im willing to spend that much if its going to be a big difference picture quality from a more standard monitor.
a c 195 C Monitor
October 21, 2010 4:27:02 AM

The following image of viewing angles is from the Dell U2411w which uses a H-IPS panel. It is more expensive to produce than the e-IPS panel, but I wanted to use it as a comparison to a TN panel monitor using the same scene.

Review: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-dell-...

The following image of viewing angels is from a Samsung P2450H which uses a TN panel. It is actually considered to be about average for a TN panel monitor.

Review: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-samsu...

Here's a review of the Dell U2311h, which uses an e-IPS panel like I mentioned above, in case you did not read it yet.

Review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm

m
l

Best solution

October 21, 2010 4:44:20 PM

I bought the U2311H Sentry, and it changed my computing world in a very good way. I returned 3 top rated TN panels (two of which where samsung), and this Dell is the best looking screen I have ever looked at.

If you buy one let me know, I have some recommendations on calibration for you (at least a good place to start if you don't have a calibrator).

The U2311H is beautiful. Viewing angles may be slightly worse than a H-IPS, BUT the e-IPS is still worlds better than TN. And as far as color reproduction and picture quality goes ~ there is not comparision.. IPS is better!

P.S. make sure to google the net and get a 20% off coupon. I actually signed up for dell small business, they sent me an expired 20% off coupon immediately via email, then I called and spoke with a manager and he honored the coupon and gave me free shipping (I live in hawaii and that can get pricey). The 30 minute phone call was worth the 60$ I saved.

To get an IPS panel for the price of a TN panel is insane... No reason to buy TN anymore. I know I won't be ^^

FYI I returned the Samsung 2770H, PX2370, and the Asus VW266H. I can fairly say that the samsung two where the best, specifically the PX2370 LED was pretty nice for a TN, but it was more expensive than the Dell, and the Dell is BY FAR the best panel of the 3 in my opinion.

PS I play all kinds of games, including FPS games, and am very happy with the speed.
Related resources
October 21, 2010 5:37:00 PM

Best answer selected by sentry.
m
l
October 21, 2010 5:40:06 PM

Thanks Adroid, thats exactly what I was hoping to hear. I went ahead and ordered one. I couldnt get the 20% off coupon from them but with their current sale I was able to get it for $289. Id be very interested in your calibration tips as well.

Also Jaguarskx's response was very helpfull too. I had not seen that review before and it was a good read. Can only select one best answer though.
m
l
November 7, 2010 1:58:26 PM

Just thought I'd throw an update on here. I did get the dell ips panel monitor. Im glad I did, it's a night and day difference. Comparing it to my old monitor is like night and day. The Dell makes a white screen on my old monitor look yellow next to it. I never knew what I was missing.
m
l
November 8, 2010 5:42:23 AM

sentry said:
Just thought I'd throw an update on here. I did get the dell ips panel monitor. Im glad I did, it's a night and day difference. Comparing it to my old monitor is like night and day. The Dell makes a white screen on my old monitor look yellow next to it. I never knew what I was missing.

I couldn't agree more! Congrats on your new purchase. I won't ever buy another TN panel myself, I'm sold on the IPS tech now that its in a reachable price range for my checkbook.

Try the following color settings, I just grabbed them off a monitor review website I forget which.

As for the settings, select the custom mode

Red 99
Green 95
Blue 98

Brightness 30

Everything else I just left alone.

Should be good to go!
m
l
!