Sign in with
Your question

DVD Players Not Displaying Outer Edges at Full Zoom

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 19, 2012 8:58:01 AM

This may apply to all DVD players, or maybe only Phillips DVD with DivX players, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I have 3 Phillips DVD players that support DivX files:
DVP5140
DVP3982
DVP3680

Now no matter what kind of files I play, DivX or movies purchased from a store, the player will not display the full picture. The image will be missing about an inch from all sides, including top and bottom. I can zoom out, and at 1/2 or any zoom out I can see the missing edges, but not when I'm at 100%. This is exactly the same case for all 3 players, and I've tested it on 2 televisions.

I've experimented with all the settings but without success. I'm using a 4:3 CRT TV so this could be a widescreen vs 4:3 issue, but these DVD players are older and meant for the 4:3 screens. In fact the settings let you choose between widescreen or "normal".

Anyone with a zoom feature on their DVD player should test if the same thing happens to them.

So, my questions are:
1. Do all DVD players do this, or is it just Phillips DivX supported players?
2. Why does this happen?
3. Will a widescreen TV fix this and display the whole image at 100% zoom?
4. Is there anything I can do (besides using a computer) that will make these players show the whole image at 100% zoom?

Thanks
September 19, 2012 4:57:34 PM

The issue is that you are playing a wide screen movie (probably) on a square TV. The DVD player does not care what it's connected to, only what format it's playing. The best you can do is to end up with a black border on the top and bottom when playing back a wide-screen movie.

Especially if you are zooming in. If you want the format to be correct, play in native resolution and either get 4:3 movies or play them on a wide-screen screen.
September 20, 2012 1:17:10 AM

No NO NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

That is the most generic answer you could have possibly given. Everyone knows what happens when you play widescreen videos on a 4:3 TV.

This is something different. Even when playing 4:3 videos, like old TV shows it still leaves out about an inch from ALL sides. The DVD player seems to be zooming the picture about 5%.
Related resources
September 20, 2012 6:57:40 PM

Your TV may be overscanning the picture. This is typical so that you don't see blank lines at the edges. When it is set too high you will loose picture. It may not be adjustable in the regular menu, probably is adjustable in the service menu, and worse case is adjustable in the circuit board in the TV. See if you can find the service manual for your TV.
September 21, 2012 1:52:23 PM

americanaudiophile said:
Your TV may be overscanning the picture. This is typical so that you don't see blank lines at the edges. When it is set too high you will loose picture. It may not be adjustable in the regular menu, probably is adjustable in the service menu, and worse case is adjustable in the circuit board in the TV. See if you can find the service manual for your TV.

Nope, I tested 3 DVD players on 2 TVs. Try it yourself, zoom out and see if more of the picture shows up.
September 21, 2012 2:50:43 PM

americanaudiophile said:

Okay, you are right. I found an article explaining this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan
So up until 10 years ago we were all missing part of our TV image, yet none of us knew!

So, how do I access a service menu? Naturally my RCA TruFlat 27F530T instruction manual makes no mention of such forbidden topics.
"Ha HAH! Those fools will never see the whole picture!"

Also, if I invest in a widescreen TV, will it drop the overscan so I can finally see all the edges?
(I would like to take this opportunity to point out that getting a widescreen TV would not solve the matter because of the aspect ratio settings, a very VERY frustratingly popular, and incorrect (and stupid), answer if you try to research this.)
September 22, 2012 8:02:00 AM

Thanks I had already found this. They don't say how to get the service menu, but they DO say how to stop the radiation leak by flipping the pinboard on the chassis next to the flyback.

This very clear and understandable solution explained why my cats were developing gills, and managed to circumvent the actual question altogether. Win win!

But seriously this has to be one of the most illusive tech problems I've encountered.
September 22, 2012 8:11:15 AM

americanaudiophile said:
Check this out
http://www.avsforum.com/t/745848/over-scan-on-rca-27-27...
Seems to be a problem with your set and can be repaired.

By the way, I tested it on 2 TVs... Exactly the same result. Unless they both had that pesky nuclear radioactive fallout problem, next to the dartboard behind the chastise flipped under the fly-brick.
September 22, 2012 4:16:57 PM

americanaudiophile said:
Check this out
http://www.avsforum.com/t/745848/over-scan-on-rca-27-27...
Seems to be a problem with your set and can be repaired.

I SOLVED IT!!!

It turns out that by trying to activate the Service Menu I detonated internal neutron bombs inside both televisions, causing the harmful radiation leaks.

Fortunately I flipped the flyback (next to the pincushion) forcing the radiation to "flyback" inside the TV which shrank the overscan, much like a cancerous tumor.

!