I am trying to fix a friends Dell Latitude Laptop, which will start XP
normally, but hangs after a few minutes

When running in Safe Mode, I get the following displayed on screen
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\*.sys

This is repeated several times - each with a different .sys file name.
Sometimes it will start; other times it will just hang!

Any ideas to fix this problem - it looks like some sort of disk
problem, but I don't know how to fix it

Have you tried device mgr,expand the tree for the hd controller,R.click,
then try,update drivers.You might also open event viewer,click on the event/
warning for it,write down the details,also click on the url,this opens help/
support in xp usually with a fix or solution to the specific error.

"gary.cobden@nhs.net" wrote:

> I am trying to fix a friends Dell Latitude Laptop, which will start XP
> normally, but hangs after a few minutes
>
> When running in Safe Mode, I get the following displayed on screen
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\*.sys
>
> This is repeated several times - each with a different .sys file name.
> Sometimes it will start; other times it will just hang!
>
> Any ideas to fix this problem - it looks like some sort of disk
> problem, but I don't know how to fix it

Malke

Andrew E. wrote:

> Have you tried device mgr,expand the tree for the hd
> controller,R.click,
> then try,update drivers.You might also open event viewer,click on the
> event/ warning for it,write down the details,also click on the
> url,this opens help/ support in xp usually with a fix or solution to
> the specific error.
>
> "gary.cobden@nhs.net" wrote:
>
>> I am trying to fix a friends Dell Latitude Laptop, which will start
>> XP normally, but hangs after a few minutes
>>
>> When running in Safe Mode, I get the following displayed on screen
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\*.sys
>>
>> This is repeated several times - each with a different .sys file
>> name. Sometimes it will start; other times it will just hang!
>>
>> Any ideas to fix this problem - it looks like some sort of disk
>> problem, but I don't know how to fix it

Andrew, he can't get into Windows. He's not able to get into Device
Manager. Gary - This sounds like hardware failure. Dell has diagnostic
software that comes with their systems - refer to the manual to run it.
Or test the hard drive and RAM first yourself:

1) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
immediately. Let the test run for an hour or two - unless errors are
seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

2) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Download
the file and make a bootable floppy or cd with it. Boot with the media
and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical errors, replace it.

If you call Dell Tech Support, they're going to make you run the Dell
Diagnostics. If you've already done it (and run your own tests) and
there is a problem, then you won't have to go through it again with
Dell.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers