Xeon, P4, or wait?

W/in 4 months I will need two new systems. I trade stocks for a living and use mutiple programs at same time. On system A I will need 4 monitors to handle my charting feeds & trading platform. System B will be used only for email, chat, and news feeds-- 2-3 monitors.

I've been waiting for the P5 to emerge for prices to drop, but even if it was available, I'm not sure what cpu to get for system A. I don't think I need the latest thing, but want something smokin' fast. Does it matter if I choose Xeon or a P4? I like the new AMD, but since AMD is going to change the chipset I don't want to go that way now.

I can wait about 1 month before making a decision. Any advice about getting future system B now and use it as system A...get just enough to make it run, then in 3 months (when P5 arrives and new AMD chipset arrives) revert sys A to sys B, then get new sys A with newest cpu and memory? After all, if sys B is going to run email, chat, then no need for bang-out system.

New setup will have XP Pro, wi-fi or lan connection, run on same broadband connection together. And w/in 6 months will have 3 systems working together.

At this time I'm borrowing a friend's Shuttle X, but will return it soon.
3 answers Last reply
More about xeon wait
  1. Neither company will have the same chipsets at the end of next year. P5 will not be out (unless Prescott is P5) until later next year (June as a paper launch, at the earliest). For system A I would recommend a 3.2Ghz P4C and 1GB of PC3200 RAM. For the graphics card, I don't know of a card that supports 4 monitors, but there probably is one out there. For system B I would get a 2.8GHz P4C and 512MB of PC3200 RAM. For the graphics card I would get a Matrox P750, which supports 3 monitors (max res 1280x1024 for each monitor) or 2 monitors (max res 1920x1440 for each monitor). Abit IC7-Max2 would be great for your Systems.

RDRAM = (ENEMY)^2
  2. What vapor set.. The FX will change sockets somewhere next year, but the Athlon 64 won't as far as we know. A A64 ought to be a pretty future proof machine, and the 3400+ will be out in a week or so, so that is gonna be a "smokin' fast" machine, probably the fastest desktop platform bar none (including FX51 and P4 Extreme Edition). Having a 64 bit capable machine can't hurt either..

If you want to go the Intel route, I don't see the point of getting a single cpu Xeon; its slow FSB's negates the extra cache for most apps. A P4C would make more sense, and its currently priced pretty low as well.

If you would consider a dual CPU machine, you could also have a look at a dual Opteron. With its hypertransport interconnects, integrated memory controller which doubles the memory bandwith for dual cpu's, it sets a new benchmark for SMP systems. Opteron is not likely to change sockets any time soon either, unlike Xeon.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
  3. I don't know if the 3400+ will be better than the FX51. Same clock speed, just the 64 has a 64bit memory controller while the FX51 has a 128bit contoller if I'm not mistaken. Additionally, the FX51 uses registered RAM, which would make it faster at the 2+DIMM level, something that appeals to me (but not most others, sadly). I must admit that the 3400+ should be majorly kickass (and I'm pro-Intel).

P4C or P4EE would be your best singlecpu Intel options--the P4EE being faster and MUCH more expensive.

For a dualie, Opteron is definitely the best option.

However, all the AMD systems are negated by one factor: immaturity. Though I do not think that there are any major problems with the technology out right now, there is always the chance. If you can wait 2-3 months, wait for the AMDs to mature and see if Scotty is released.

RDRAM = (ENEMY)^2
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product