Sign in with
Your question

Ancient Mobo (need an ISA Slot)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 4, 2003 4:33:47 PM

OK... a weird request I know, but I need to buy a few mobos with an ISA slot. It's to do with serial ports on an ISA 16-bit bus instead of a 32-bit PCI one, for an old DOS app that we used to sell.

<pre>Trust me, it don't work with 32-bit serial ports, and there's no way I'm re-writing the software (we don't sell it any more, but we need to replace the 486s we originally shipped it on when they die), so don't bother with that suggestion :smile: </pre><p>
BUT... it would be nice to get PCs which are capable of running our new windows software, so when we can squeeze the cash out of customers by convincing them to upgrade, we don't have to replace the hardware again.

So we're looking for something along the lines of a 800-1Ghz+ Athlon/Duron on something like a VIA KT133 Chipset possibly (not that I want to use VIA, but needing an ISA slot limits my options to all the crap chipsets)... Or possibly something based around a PIII Celery maybe?

Anyone know a site that might sell old junk like this? Preferably in the UK, or perhaps europe (I reckon USA shipping charges would be a bit high to fly over the pond).

Any help appreciated.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

More about : ancient mobo isa slot

November 4, 2003 4:35:18 PM

Sorry if this thread looks stupidly wide on your monitor. I just noticed it does on mine...

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:
November 4, 2003 4:53:40 PM

This is probably no great help but I recall that there was a review in the inquirer about a month or so ago of a P4 mobo that had an ISA slot (or more than one-i can't remember).I have had a look on google for it but i can't find it.Maybe you could have a look on the inquirer's forum or ask them about it if it is of interest.Sorry if this is no help- my grasp of the whole ISA-malarkey isn't great because I only started learning about computers after the demise of ISA :smile: .

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
Related resources
November 4, 2003 10:30:12 PM

As a matter of fact I have a suggestion for you. I have an old Abit KT7A-RAID motherboard with a 1.2 Athlon in it. The mobo uses the via kt133A chipset revision, supports raid, has 6 pci, 1 isa, and agp 2.0. I have the V1.1 model and can't say as I've really ever had a problem with it, no matter what people say about VIA. If you can get ahold of the v1.3 models they will also support xp chips, which would I think allow you to run most modern software. I have no idea where you could buy them at though as I believe they have been discontinued by abit. Here's a quick review if it sounds interesting <A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/abit/kt7araid/kt7ap..." target="_new">http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/abit/kt7araid/kt7ap...;/A>
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2003 12:47:17 AM

KT133=junk, KT133A=faster junk....

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2003 12:48:08 AM

You'd probably be best off with a bunch of old Intel BX boards to replace those. I'd buy some old Micron PC's off lease return.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 5, 2003 1:08:49 PM

THis item:
MSI MS-6368L 50A (6368-140) PLE 133 Pentium III / Celeron Support Tualatin Micro-ATX - Retail
Is for sale at Newegg.com for 56.00

Hope that helps

It's all Bush's fault...all of it...
November 5, 2003 2:00:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, however...

newegg.com is quite a good site, but I don't think they ship to the UK (I've frequently gone there to compile specs for ppl on these forums)... It's interesting how many US sites don't seem to understand that the ocean is not the end of the world... :smile: I had the same thing looking for a Leatherman a while ago (ended up buying one from a UK site for megabucks compared to the US prices..)

I've spent some time today looking, but still not had much luck - a couple of 'hopefuls' which I'm awaiting some replies from (for opening trade accounts), but nothing concrete yet.

<b>Crash:</b>
I'm pretty happy with almost anything, as long as the ISA slot is there, and it's capable of running windows apps reasonably well (128Mb RAM, high end PII or a Duron/PIII Celery)... I just need a reasonable supply.

A bit more background:
We've been getting other small companies to build 'old-spec' machines for us, but after a string of non-deliveries, cock-ups, and failing hardware I've been tasked with trying to just spec one out, order the bits & build it in-house instead, as I'm the one with the most PC building experience in the office (we're only a small company, ~12 employees)

BTW - I thought I posted this in the mobo forum, but I was in a hurry as I was about to leave work... So yes, I know it's kinda in the wrong place... Still, at least I didn't simply post in every forum, eh? :smile:

---
November 5, 2003 6:05:07 PM

Quote:
newegg.com is quite a good site, but I don't think they ship to the UK

I am afraid they definitely don't and have no plans to, as i asked them about it a month or so ago.Many an hour i have spent rifling through newegg with a currency converter at hand, working myself into a jealous rage over the relative prices in the UK!

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
November 5, 2003 6:26:55 PM

I agree, get a bx board and a slocket adapter and run a tualatin celeron. As for bx boards? probably ebay would be the best place to look. Some boards you may want to look into

msi 6163
abit be6
abit bf6
Asus p3b
intel se440bx-2

BTW how many do ya need?

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy
November 6, 2003 10:41:00 AM

Quote:
BTW how many do ya need?

2 or 3 in the next couple of weeks, and then certainly more in the future, though I don't know how many - depends on how many old ones die :smile: .

As I have no real idea how many of these mobos I'm going to need in the future, I can't <i>really</i> rely on ebay, although as a one-off I guess it might be worth looking into. If it was for my personal gain, then no problem, but as I'm doing this on behalf of my company, I need solid service/guarantees/etc. :frown:

Quote:
What about industrial P4 mobos? They have ISA slots.

Not a bad idea, but the only prices I could find were in the region of $300US for that sort of thing, and I've got to roughly match what we used to pay the other builders, which is ~£400, including Monitor, mouse, keyboard & OS. Plus of course the P4 mobo limits me to a P4 Celery, and the cheapest one of those I can get is £35 (1.7Ghz) compared to £22 for a 1.3 Duron, and on a budget this tight That's a fair old difference for roughly the same performance.

<b>PIII_Man:</b>
On a completely unrelated side-note, weren't you working on a project to lock the AGP clock on an older mobo a couple of months ago? Just wondering how you got on...

---
November 6, 2003 1:20:13 PM

I can see where cost might be an issue. OK, so no industrial mobos.

On the other hand, I'm wondering how long the supply of Intel BX, VIA KT133, KT133A, and KLE133 motherbard seconds and refurbs will be available. I'm not as big a hater of VIA motherboard as Crashman but I'm not a fan either. Reliability is something to think about.

Oh well, good luck.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 11/06/03 10:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 6, 2003 2:09:30 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, I'm wondering how long the supply of Intel BX, ..... will be available. I'm not as big a hater of VIA motherboard as Crashman but I'm not a fan either. Reliability is something to think about.

I was wondering that myself I'm half-considering buying as many ISA-infected boards as I can lay my hands on, just to keep in trust. I'm hoping we can convince enough old customers to upgrade to newer windows-based stuff to make a m$-like <font color=red>"We will no longer support this product - Get with the times dude..."</font color=red> type announcement :smile: .. But ATM there's too many of them :frown:

I have a perfectly mixed VIA experience myself. I have a Abit KT7(non-A) KT133 board, which has served - and continues to serve - me well. On the other hand, I replaced it with an Asus A7V333 (KT333) POS which is complete junk, and has given me no end of trouble.

---
November 6, 2003 2:47:08 PM

Have you looked at the soyousa.com web page they sell refurbished motherboards direct in the e-store. They have Intel & AMD all types. I did see some with ISA slots. Mostly socket 370 & slot 1. They had shipping Fedex all over the world.

I have never used a Soyo motherboard or purched anything from the web site.
November 6, 2003 3:09:16 PM

Mixed results, i was basically able to get the system to post but even in the bios setup screen there were some graphic anomalies i think it is due to the fact that the chipset was sending/recieving data at a diffrent speed then the agp card was sending/recieving data (asynchronous) so pretty much it was a failure :frown: .

BTW there is litterly an unlimited supply of bx boards on ebay. I doubt you will ever find bx's hard to find for another few years.

110% BX fanboy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pIII_Man on 11/06/03 12:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 6, 2003 3:29:34 PM

That's bad luck - I was wondering how that was going to turn out... Bit more involved than my own overclocking attempts, so kudos to ya all the same!

Quote:
BTW there is litterly an unlimited supply of bx boards on ebay

Didn't realise they were so numerous. I'll check it out, thanks.

---
November 6, 2003 5:44:10 PM

One thing about having a stock of motherboards is they can all be the same.

If instead you build replacement systems on per need basis, you'll be settling for what's available at the time. You will never know the quality of each system until you build it.

Sorry to get back to the industrial mobos. Yes, they are expensive but you will likely have continuous access to these. Even if they aren't your primary choice it might be a good idea to try one. If it's suitable then you will always know that you can use one in a pinch.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
November 6, 2003 6:04:25 PM

well it is a lot easier (mentally) to mod a 4-5 year old mobo than it is to mod your spankin new nforce2 or 865pe.

110% BX fanboy
November 7, 2003 2:41:39 PM

ok.. managed to get by for the minute, but we've also found a supplier who says he can get us some 'QDI Advanced' Socket 370 mobos, and some celerons to go on them. The only celerys I can see on their stuff are Tualatin core 1.2Ghz ones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Tualatin core require a different socket (or at least a converter)..

I get confused by all the PIII sockets/slots :eek:  . Gotten too used to the ol' AMD Socket 462 I guess...

Shed any light on this? (I suspect you or <b>crashman</b> are the ones to ask here :smile: )

---
November 8, 2003 7:46:35 PM

Quote:
KT133=junk, KT133A=faster junk....

:smile:
Ditto!

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>
November 8, 2003 11:06:53 PM

there are 4 socket/slot revisions...

slot 1 (sc242) primarly BX based mobos
socket 370 for ppga celeron (these were the first socket 370 mobos and some were not compatable with later cu-mine core piii's)
socket 370 for the CU-mine
socket 370 for the tualatin (will only use the 815e b step north bridge)

If you are going to get a socket 370 mobo your best bet is to get a 815e/815ep mobo not the 810! Many 815 mobos however do not have any isa slots. Just about all of the slot 1 boards you look at will have the 440bx chipset which will be fast but will only officially support 100mhz fsb so keep that in mind when choosing a processor. Stay away from the 810 chipset this was really made for the celerons and is very slow, there is also a chance if it is an early board revision that it will not support the pin out of the coppermine core piii's. A standard 815 chipset (non b step) will NOT support tualatin cpus :frown: however there are many adapters. IMO your best bet is an old bx board, an upgradeware adapter and a tulatin celeron 1.3-1.4.

110% BX fanboy
November 9, 2003 8:43:09 PM

Thanks for the info. If I was buying for myself (or my own profit!) I'd go the ebay->BX board route, but sadly as it's all being done for my company, on company time, I've got to be a bit more 'official' than that. :frown:

Some good news though, I managed to find some info on this mobo, and under the CPUs supported it actually says 'Socket 370 & Tualatin' so it looks like it should be ok. Doesn't state any more than that though.

Although I've been thinking about giving my brother a hand upgrading his 'pooter, and he's got virtually no money, so maybe I can try and get an old BX board & a tully celery as a nice cheap upgrade...

Thanks again guys! :smile:

---
November 9, 2003 8:51:57 PM

There are a couple of AMD solutions with ISA slots.

A KK266 (Via KT133A) board has at least 1 ISA slot, and will run with PC133sdram and a cpu possibly up to XP2400+.

<b>I help because I'm so damned good!
:smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>
November 10, 2003 7:25:07 AM

I started off looking at AMD solutions (as durons are so cheap) but trying to find a reliable (UK) source was proving a real pain. The site I mention above which can now get these Socket 370 mobos was originally offering and AMD solution, but they're running out of stock, but they say they're gonna get loads of the PIII mobos, and the price difference between tully celerys and durons isn't that much.

---
November 10, 2003 6:22:09 PM

the durons do perform better though (clock per clock) but i think you will probably end up getting stuck with unstable chipsets, so my piii fanboyism will force me to recomend the tully.

110% BX fanboy
!