need help with dfe-530tx+ ethernet card

hello,

i have a dimension 8200 running windows me. i just installed a dlink
dfe-530tx+ ethernet card and it won't connect to my cable modem. usb to the
modem works fine. device manager shows it installed okay although i had to
go through installation several times before the drivers installed clean. i
have the latest drivers from dlink.

anyone have any experience with this card in getting it to work with windows
me.

thanks...
Earl

If you installed the drivers several times, there is no guarantee that they
installed correctly. First of all remove the card through Device Manager so
that you can do a reinstall properly. With my 530 I ran the setup program
and let it finish the install. That did not install the drivers correctly.
Go to Control Panel and Device manager. Click on update drivers and then
browse to the directory that the DLink setup created when asked for a
location. The drivers are in there and should then be installed correctly by
Windows. The 530 is a pretty simple install. It should be an automatic
connect to the modem. Be sure that you disconnect the modem USB cable as
well since this might be affecting the card connectivity. Also be sure that
your network properties do not have the USB connection as the default. If
you show a USB connection create a new network connection.

Regards,
John O.

"Buhrmester" <decker@primenet.com> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> i have a dimension 8200 running windows me. i just installed a dlink
> dfe-530tx+ ethernet card and it won't connect to my cable modem. usb to
> the
> modem works fine. device manager shows it installed okay although i had
> go through installation several times before the drivers installed clean.
> have the latest drivers from dlink.
>
> anyone have any experience with this card in getting it to work with
> windows
> me.
>
> thanks...
> Earl

Most cable and DSL modems with both Ethernet and USB ports operate in an
either/or mode. Either the modem operates with Ethernet, or with USB, but not
BOTH at the same time. Once the modem detects one or the other, it retains the
detected connection and blocks out the other.

Sooooo.... Power down the cable modem AND your Dimension 8200. Then first power
up the cable modem, followed by the computer, with Ethernet cable connecting the
two. Powering down the cable modem causes it to lose track of the type of
connection (USB or Ethernet) and to attempt again to synchronize with one or the
other... Ben Myers

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 16:40:10 -0500, "Buhrmester" <decker@primenet.com> wrote:

>hello,
>
>i have a dimension 8200 running windows me. i just installed a dlink
>dfe-530tx+ ethernet card and it won't connect to my cable modem. usb to the
>modem works fine. device manager shows it installed okay although i had to
>go through installation several times before the drivers installed clean. i
>have the latest drivers from dlink.
>
>anyone have any experience with this card in getting it to work with windows
>me.
>
>thanks...
>Earl

"Buhrmester" <decker@primenet.com> wrote:
>dfe-530tx+ ethernet card and it won't connect to my cable modem.

One thought:

Make sure you have the 530TX+ and the correct drivers, there are
differences between the 530TX and the 530TX+, and AFAIK they are
incompatible...

i went through this process numerous times, powering down the modem and pc
and it never made a difference. then i made the switch from usb to ethernet
WITHOUT powering down and all of a sudden it made the connection. it
connected to the modem but i got the message from my cable company that the
computer hadn't been registered. at that point i powered down the modem and
it reset itself and everything is working great. still don't understand why
it wouldn't connect previously.

Earl
> Most cable and DSL modems with both Ethernet and USB ports operate in an
> either/or mode. Either the modem operates with Ethernet, or with USB, but
not
> BOTH at the same time. Once the modem detects one or the other, it
retains the
> detected connection and blocks out the other.
>
> Sooooo.... Power down the cable modem AND your Dimension 8200. Then first
power
> up the cable modem, followed by the computer, with Ethernet cable
connecting the
> two. Powering down the cable modem causes it to lose track of the type of
> connection (USB or Ethernet) and to attempt again to synchronize with one
or the
> other... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 16:40:10 -0500, "Buhrmester" <decker@primenet.com>
wrote:

> >hello,
> >
> >i have a dimension 8200 running windows me. i just installed a dlink
> >dfe-530tx+ ethernet card and it won't connect to my cable modem. usb to
the
> >modem works fine. device manager shows it installed okay although i had
> >go through installation several times before the drivers installed clean.
> >have the latest drivers from dlink.
> >
> >anyone have any experience with this card in getting it to work with
windows
> >me.
> >
> >thanks...
> >Earl

I can only speculate that the cable modem somehow had gotten itself stuck
electronically on using Ethernet. One other possibility is that neither
computer nor cable modem had been powered down long enough to reset the cable
modem. In the several times I have talked with my ISP's tech support and they
advise shutting everthing down, they always suggest waiting 30 sec to a minute
before powering the cable modem back up again.

No matter. What is important is that it all works now... Ben Myers