New Harddrive

Hey All

I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I wanted from
the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old drive. I keep getting an
error message saying Windows was unable to format. All I've done was right
click on the old drive and clicked on Format.
Is there anything I should do differently?

Daniel
9 answers Last reply
More about harddrive

    windows generally cant format the drive it booted from, reboot from the new
    drive and try again

    "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey All
    >
    > I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I wanted
    from
    > the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old drive. I keep getting
    an
    > error message saying Windows was unable to format. All I've done was right
    > click on the old drive and clicked on Format.
    > Is there anything I should do differently?
    >
    > Daniel

    Is that hard disk (partition) the boot or system volume? A boot volume cannot be formatted from Windows and a system volume cannot be formatted if the operating system installed on that volume is running. In this case, format the old hard drive from the operating system installed on the 'new' hard disk.

    --
    Greetings,
    Daniel Martín

    "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33B24F37-1ADF-4792-9EC8-8514EDAB1958@microsoft.com...
    > Hey All
    >
    > I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I wanted from
    > the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old drive. I keep getting an
    > error message saying Windows was unable to format. All I've done was right
    > click on the old drive and clicked on Format.
    > Is there anything I should do differently?
    >
    > Daniel

    I am trying to reformat the old drive from the new one.

    Daniel Martín wrote:

    > Is that hard disk (partition) the boot or system volume? A boot
    > volume cannot be formatted from Windows and a system volume cannot be
    > formatted if the operating system installed on that volume is
    > running. In this case, format the old hard drive from the operating
    > system installed on the 'new' hard disk.

    Microsoft's terminology is very strange here, and you've got it backwards.
    The boot volume is the one containing the operating system files, and the
    system volume is the one containing the startup files. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q100525

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey All
    >>
    >> I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I
    >> wanted from the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old
    >> drive. I keep getting an error message saying Windows was unable to
    >> format. All I've done was right click on the old drive and clicked
    >> on Format.
    >> Is there anything I should do differently?
    >>
    >> Daniel

    Well Both drives still contain Win XP on them. I want to erase the old HD and
    just use it to store files on it.

    Daniel

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > Daniel Martín wrote:
    >
    > > Is that hard disk (partition) the boot or system volume? A boot
    > > volume cannot be formatted from Windows and a system volume cannot be
    > > formatted if the operating system installed on that volume is
    > > running. In this case, format the old hard drive from the operating
    > > system installed on the 'new' hard disk.
    >

    > Microsoft's terminology is very strange here, and you've got it backwards.
    > The boot volume is the one containing the operating system files, and the
    > system volume is the one containing the startup files. See
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q100525

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    > > "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hey All
    > >>
    > >> I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I
    > >> wanted from the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old
    > >> drive. I keep getting an error message saying Windows was unable to
    > >> format. All I've done was right click on the old drive and clicked
    > >> on Format.
    > >> Is there anything I should do differently?
    > >>
    > >> Daniel

    just a suggestion Daniel. I would remove the newer HD that has your new
    operating system on it and leave the old HD on the computer but change the
    pin settings on the old drive to show it to be a primary drive with NO other
    drives installed. Then put your Win XP operating system CD disk in your CD
    drive and use it to format the old drive.

    Redwagon...

    "Daniel" wrote:

    > Well Both drives still contain Win XP on them. I want to erase the old HD and
    > just use it to store files on it.
    >
    > Daniel
    >
    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    > > Daniel Martín wrote:
    > >
    > > > Is that hard disk (partition) the boot or system volume? A boot
    > > > volume cannot be formatted from Windows and a system volume cannot be
    > > > formatted if the operating system installed on that volume is
    > > > running. In this case, format the old hard drive from the operating
    > > > system installed on the 'new' hard disk.
    > >

    > > Microsoft's terminology is very strange here, and you've got it backwards.
    > > The boot volume is the one containing the operating system files, and the
    > > system volume is the one containing the startup files. See
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q100525
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the newsgroup
    > >

    > > > "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVs?= wrote:

    Is the new drive set as master and are you sure you are booting from the
    new drive?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    If you just copied over the old to the new hard drive, then left the old
    hard drive in place, the new drive will never boot now. You have to
    physically remove the old hard drive, before attempting to boot from the
    second one. Put the new hard drive in as master. This must be done
    immediately after the copy.
    Afterwards, you can put the old hard drive back in the system and format it.
    Leave the new hard drive configured master on the primary.

    "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey All
    >
    > I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I wanted
    from
    > the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old drive. I keep getting
    an
    > error message saying Windows was unable to format. All I've done was right
    > click on the old drive and clicked on Format.
    > Is there anything I should do differently?
    >
    > Daniel

    Currently I have the new drive set a SLAVE and the old one as MASTER.

    Dan

    "Plato" wrote:

    > =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVs?= wrote:
    > >

    > Is the new drive set as master and are you sure you are booting from the
    > new drive?
    >
    > > I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I wanted from
    > > the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old drive. I keep getting an
    > > error message saying Windows was unable to format. All I've done was right
    > > click on the old drive and clicked on Format.
    > > Is there anything I should do differently?
    > >
    > > Daniel
    >
    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

Format Hard Drives Windows XP