Daniel

Hey All

I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I wanted from
the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old drive. I keep getting an
error message saying Windows was unable to format. All I've done was right
click on the old drive and clicked on Format.
Is there anything I should do differently?

Daniel

windows generally cant format the drive it booted from, reboot from the new
drive and try again

"Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey All
>
> I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I wanted
from
> the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old drive. I keep getting
an
> error message saying Windows was unable to format. All I've done was right
> click on the old drive and clicked on Format.
> Is there anything I should do differently?
>
> Daniel

Is that hard disk (partition) the boot or system volume? A boot volume cannot be formatted from Windows and a system volume cannot be formatted if the operating system installed on that volume is running. In this case, format the old hard drive from the operating system installed on the 'new' hard disk.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín

"Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33B24F37-1ADF-4792-9EC8-8514EDAB1958@microsoft.com...
> Hey All
>
> I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I wanted from
> the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old drive. I keep getting an
> error message saying Windows was unable to format. All I've done was right
> click on the old drive and clicked on Format.
> Is there anything I should do differently?
>
> Daniel

Daniel

I am trying to reformat the old drive from the new one.

Daniel Martín wrote:

> Is that hard disk (partition) the boot or system volume? A boot
> volume cannot be formatted from Windows and a system volume cannot be
> formatted if the operating system installed on that volume is
> running. In this case, format the old hard drive from the operating
> system installed on the 'new' hard disk.

Microsoft's terminology is very strange here, and you've got it backwards.
The boot volume is the one containing the operating system files, and the
system volume is the one containing the startup files. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q100525

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hey All
>>
>> I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I
>> wanted from the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old
>> drive. I keep getting an error message saying Windows was unable to
>> format. All I've done was right click on the old drive and clicked
>> on Format.
>> Is there anything I should do differently?
>>
>> Daniel

Daniel

Well Both drives still contain Win XP on them. I want to erase the old HD and
just use it to store files on it.

Daniel

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> Daniel Martín wrote:
>
> > Is that hard disk (partition) the boot or system volume? A boot
> > volume cannot be formatted from Windows and a system volume cannot be
> > formatted if the operating system installed on that volume is
> > running. In this case, format the old hard drive from the operating
> > system installed on the 'new' hard disk.
>

> Microsoft's terminology is very strange here, and you've got it backwards.
> The boot volume is the one containing the operating system files, and the
> system volume is the one containing the startup files. See
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q100525

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

> > "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hey All
> >>
> >> I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I
> >> wanted from the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old
> >> drive. I keep getting an error message saying Windows was unable to
> >> format. All I've done was right click on the old drive and clicked
> >> on Format.
> >> Is there anything I should do differently?
> >>
> >> Daniel

just a suggestion Daniel. I would remove the newer HD that has your new
operating system on it and leave the old HD on the computer but change the
pin settings on the old drive to show it to be a primary drive with NO other
drives installed. Then put your Win XP operating system CD disk in your CD
drive and use it to format the old drive.

Redwagon...

"Daniel" wrote:

> Well Both drives still contain Win XP on them. I want to erase the old HD and
> just use it to store files on it.
>
> Daniel
>
> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
> > Daniel Martín wrote:
> >
> > > Is that hard disk (partition) the boot or system volume? A boot
> > > volume cannot be formatted from Windows and a system volume cannot be
> > > formatted if the operating system installed on that volume is
> > > running. In this case, format the old hard drive from the operating
> > > system installed on the 'new' hard disk.
> >

> > Microsoft's terminology is very strange here, and you've got it backwards.
> > The boot volume is the one containing the operating system files, and the
> > system volume is the one containing the startup files. See
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q100525
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> > Please reply to the newsgroup
> >

> > > "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVs?= wrote:

Is the new drive set as master and are you sure you are booting from the
new drive?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

If you just copied over the old to the new hard drive, then left the old
hard drive in place, the new drive will never boot now. You have to
physically remove the old hard drive, before attempting to boot from the
second one. Put the new hard drive in as master. This must be done
immediately after the copy.
Afterwards, you can put the old hard drive back in the system and format it.
Leave the new hard drive configured master on the primary.

"Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey All
>
> I installed a larger hard drive. I have transferred everything I wanted
from
> the old drive and now I'm trying to format the old drive. I keep getting
an
> error message saying Windows was unable to format. All I've done was right
> click on the old drive and clicked on Format.
> Is there anything I should do differently?
>
> Daniel

Daniel

Currently I have the new drive set a SLAVE and the old one as MASTER.

Dan