Can u enter 2 smtp ports in OE?

September 2, 2005 3:52:33 PM

Hi all,

I use two programs that use port 25 (smtp).

However, you can't access port 25, twice.

Is there any other way, to make it, so both programs
can run, instead of me quitting one or the other
all the time? Or would I need 2 email programs?

Would this fix it?

Any info appreciated

Thanx

More about : enter smtp ports

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 3:52:34 PM

I have 10 accounts on one OE all use port 25. Just set up another account.

"Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
news:D f847p$2bm$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Hi all,
>
> I use two programs that use port 25 (smtp).
>
> However, you can't access port 25, twice.
>
> Is there any other way, to make it, so both programs
> can run, instead of me quitting one or the other
> all the time? Or would I need 2 email programs?
>
> Would this fix it?
>
> Any info appreciated
>
> Thanx

September 2, 2005 4:18:29 PM

I would but I dont have any other accounts

Its not the accounts, that's the prob.

The accounts I have now work fine.

Its these 2 programs, I use, that want to use port
25 at the same time.

And adding more accounts, if I had any wouldn't
make any diff

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
news:p NMRe.606$XY7.248@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
>I have 10 accounts on one OE all use port 25. Just set up another account.

> "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> news:D f847p$2bm$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I use two programs that use port 25 (smtp).
>>
>> However, you can't access port 25, twice.
>>
>> Is there any other way, to make it, so both programs
>> can run, instead of me quitting one or the other
>> all the time? Or would I need 2 email programs?
>>
>> Would this fix it?
>>
>> Any info appreciated
>>
>> Thanx

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 4:18:30 PM

Why are they using the same port at the same time? Once you check your mail
the port should close, allowing you to use the other mail program. I have
had a couple of mail clients on the go at the same time without problem.
Perhaps your mail client is leaving the port open (I know Outlook Express
tends to leave nntp ports (119) open longer than it should), and if that's
the case you'll have to find new mail client.

news:D f85oe$546$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...

http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> > NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> > See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> > Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >

> > "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> > news:D f847p$2bm$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I use two programs that use port 25 (smtp).
> >>
> >> However, you can't access port 25, twice.
> >>
> >> Is there any other way, to make it, so both programs
> >> can run, instead of me quitting one or the other
> >> all the time? Or would I need 2 email programs?
> >>
> >> Would this fix it?
> >>
> >> Any info appreciated
> >>
> >> Thanx

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 4:18:30 PM

What program?

"Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
news:D f85oe$546$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>I would but I dont have any other accounts
>
> Its not the accounts, that's the prob.
>
> The accounts I have now work fine.
>
> Its these 2 programs, I use, that want to use port
> 25 at the same time.
>
> And adding more accounts, if I had any wouldn't
> make any diff
>

> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> news:p NMRe.606$XY7.248@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
>>I have 10 accounts on one OE all use port 25. Just set up another account.
>>
>> --

>> "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
>> news:D f847p$2bm$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I use two programs that use port 25 (smtp).
>>>
>>> However, you can't access port 25, twice.
>>>
>>> Is there any other way, to make it, so both programs
>>> can run, instead of me quitting one or the other
>>> all the time? Or would I need 2 email programs?
>>>
>>> Would this fix it?
>>>
>>> Any info appreciated
>>>
>>> Thanx

September 2, 2005 6:40:05 PM

I dont know why they use the same port at the same
time.

BUT they do, thats how they work.

Spampal usually starts on bootup and needs to run
in order to check incoming emails, when I open OE.

For emails, I've added to its blacklist and whitelist.

(Spampal checks whats in the blacklist and whitelist, and filters them. The
blacklisted emails/ISP get deleted from the server).

And the other one needs to run, when I send emails
to wherever. It bypasses the ISP server, so what I send
a copy doesn't stay on the ISP's server. It gets sent
straight to the person I've emailed.

And even tho u can change the smtp port in either
program, changing it in OE usually brings up an error.

And I can get BOTH Spampal and the other program
to run without conflicting with port 25, its only OE.

It packs a sad lol.

And in the email settings (for the accounts - for both programs), this
creates a prob too.

Like, with the Spampal settings pop under the account
name has to be localhost. SMTP smtp@isp.

BUT in the other program smtp is localhost. And pop
is the normal pop@isp.

One is Spampal
"GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> Why are they using the same port at the same time? Once you check your
> mail
> the port should close, allowing you to use the other mail program. I have
> had a couple of mail clients on the go at the same time without problem.
> Perhaps your mail client is leaving the port open (I know Outlook Express
> tends to leave nntp ports (119) open longer than it should), and if that's
> the case you'll have to find new mail client.
>

> "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> news:D f85oe$546$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>> I would but I dont have any other accounts
>>
>> Its not the accounts, that's the prob.
>>
>> The accounts I have now work fine.
>>
>> Its these 2 programs, I use, that want to use port
>> 25 at the same time.
>>
>> And adding more accounts, if I had any wouldn't
>> make any diff
>>

>> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
>> news:p NMRe.606$XY7.248@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
>> >I have 10 accounts on one OE all use port 25. Just set up another
> account.
>> >
>> > --
>> >

>> > The best live web video on the internet
> http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
>> > NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
>> > See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
>> > Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>> >

>> > "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
>> > news:D f847p$2bm$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:40:06 PM

Judging from your description of the problem my guess is that you haven't
configured Spampal (and other apps) properly. I am not familiar with
Spampal but have your followed the installation guide?
http://www.spampal.org/usermanual/quick_start.htm
As near as I can tell Spampal shouldn't need to use port 25. Port 25 is for
sending mail (smtp) and Spampal is only interested in sorting/filtering
incoming mail, which would be port 110 (pop3).

I'm also confused by this third mail application you are using. You can
certainly bypass your ISP's mail server for outgoing mail, but you can't
send it directly to the recepient as it still has to go through somebody's
mail server (and one that you have an account to use).

"Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
news:D f8e1t$k4m$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> I dont know why they use the same port at the same
> time.
>
> BUT they do, thats how they work.
>
> Spampal usually starts on bootup and needs to run
> in order to check incoming emails, when I open OE.
>
> For emails, I've added to its blacklist and whitelist.
>
> (Spampal checks whats in the blacklist and whitelist, and filters them.
The
> blacklisted emails/ISP get deleted from the server).
>
> And the other one needs to run, when I send emails
> to wherever. It bypasses the ISP server, so what I send
> a copy doesn't stay on the ISP's server. It gets sent
> straight to the person I've emailed.
>
> And even tho u can change the smtp port in either
> program, changing it in OE usually brings up an error.
>
> And I can get BOTH Spampal and the other program
> to run without conflicting with port 25, its only OE.
>
> It packs a sad lol.
>
> And in the email settings (for the accounts - for both programs), this
> creates a prob too.
>
> Like, with the Spampal settings pop under the account
> name has to be localhost. SMTP smtp@isp.
>
> BUT in the other program smtp is localhost. And pop
> is the normal pop@isp.

> One is Spampal
> "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> > Why are they using the same port at the same time? Once you check your
> > mail
> > the port should close, allowing you to use the other mail program. I
have
> > had a couple of mail clients on the go at the same time without problem.
> > Perhaps your mail client is leaving the port open (I know Outlook
Express
> > tends to leave nntp ports (119) open longer than it should), and if
that's
> > the case you'll have to find new mail client.
> >

> > "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> > news:D f85oe$546$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> >> I would but I dont have any other accounts
> >>
> >> Its not the accounts, that's the prob.
> >>
> >> The accounts I have now work fine.
> >>
> >> Its these 2 programs, I use, that want to use port
> >> 25 at the same time.
> >>
> >> And adding more accounts, if I had any wouldn't
> >> make any diff
> >>

> >> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> >> news:p NMRe.606$XY7.248@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> > account.

> > http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:40:07 PM

I see from your reply to pcbutts1 you're third application is "Email
Privacy". Again, I'm not familiar with this but I am positived you have not
configured the applications properly. This Email Privacy program becomes
your smtp server so you must configure Outlook Express to refer to your own
computer (ie localhost). In your configuration OE should not be contacted a
remote server at all; Spampal becomes your POP3 server and Email Privacy
becomes your SMTP server.

On a side note...using Email Privacy seems rather silly to me because your
outgoing mail is still going to sit on another ISP's mail server before
being delivered to your recipient. If you're that worried about people
snooping through your mail (or archiving it) why don't you look at
encrypting your mail?

> Judging from your description of the problem my guess is that you haven't
> configured Spampal (and other apps) properly. I am not familiar with
> Spampal but have your followed the installation guide?
> http://www.spampal.org/usermanual/quick_start.htm
> As near as I can tell Spampal shouldn't need to use port 25. Port 25 is
for
> sending mail (smtp) and Spampal is only interested in sorting/filtering
> incoming mail, which would be port 110 (pop3).
>
> I'm also confused by this third mail application you are using. You can
> certainly bypass your ISP's mail server for outgoing mail, but you can't
> send it directly to the recepient as it still has to go through somebody's
> mail server (and one that you have an account to use).
>

> "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> news:D f8e1t$k4m$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> > I dont know why they use the same port at the same
> > time.
> >
> > BUT they do, thats how they work.
> >
> > Spampal usually starts on bootup and needs to run
> > in order to check incoming emails, when I open OE.
> >
> > For emails, I've added to its blacklist and whitelist.
> >
> > (Spampal checks whats in the blacklist and whitelist, and filters them.
> The
> > blacklisted emails/ISP get deleted from the server).
> >
> > And the other one needs to run, when I send emails
> > to wherever. It bypasses the ISP server, so what I send
> > a copy doesn't stay on the ISP's server. It gets sent
> > straight to the person I've emailed.
> >
> > And even tho u can change the smtp port in either
> > program, changing it in OE usually brings up an error.
> >
> > And I can get BOTH Spampal and the other program
> > to run without conflicting with port 25, its only OE.
> >
> > It packs a sad lol.
> >
> > And in the email settings (for the accounts - for both programs), this
> > creates a prob too.
> >
> > Like, with the Spampal settings pop under the account
> > name has to be localhost. SMTP smtp@isp.
> >
> > BUT in the other program smtp is localhost. And pop
> > is the normal pop@isp.

> > One is Spampal
> > "GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> > > Why are they using the same port at the same time? Once you check
your
> > > mail
> > > the port should close, allowing you to use the other mail program. I
> have
> > > had a couple of mail clients on the go at the same time without
problem.
> > > Perhaps your mail client is leaving the port open (I know Outlook
> Express
> > > tends to leave nntp ports (119) open longer than it should), and if
> that's
> > > the case you'll have to find new mail client.
> > >

> > > "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> > > news:D f85oe$546$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...

> > > account.

> > > http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm

September 2, 2005 7:02:57 PM

Spampal and Email Privacy

> What program?

> "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> news:D f85oe$546$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>I would but I dont have any other accounts
>>
>> Its not the accounts, that's the prob.
>>
>> The accounts I have now work fine.
>>
>> Its these 2 programs, I use, that want to use port
>> 25 at the same time.
>>
>> And adding more accounts, if I had any wouldn't
>> make any diff
>>

>> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
>> news:p NMRe.606$XY7.248@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
>>>I have 10 accounts on one OE all use port 25. Just set up another
>>>account.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> The best live web video on the internet
>>> http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
>>> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
>>> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
>>> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>>>

>>> "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D f847p$2bm$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 7:02:58 PM

If you correctly configure SpamPal, you "route" all your email thru SpamPal
before going to your email program (OE??) Not familiar with Email Privacy
but you cloud route it thru SpamPal or route it direct to the SMTP server.

"Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
news:D f8fcq$mnk$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Spampal and Email Privacy
>
> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
>> What program?
>>
>> --

>> "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
>> news:D f85oe$546$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>>I would but I dont have any other accounts
>>>
>>> Its not the accounts, that's the prob.
>>>
>>> The accounts I have now work fine.
>>>
>>> Its these 2 programs, I use, that want to use port
>>> 25 at the same time.
>>>
>>> And adding more accounts, if I had any wouldn't
>>> make any diff
>>>

>>> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
>>> news:p NMRe.606$XY7.248@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...

September 2, 2005 7:44:04 PM

Well no I'm not worried at all. Im just trying
this program out, to see what its like.

Well, I suppose I could enrypt it, BUT
most programs that encrypt emails arent free.

And I dont buy online.

"GO" <aa533@remove.this.chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:o 1ynK02rFHA.3340@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> >
>> > (Spampal checks whats in the blacklist and whitelist, and filters them.
>> The
>> > blacklisted emails/ISP get deleted from the server).
>> >
>> > And the other one needs to run, when I send emails
>> > to wherever. It bypasses the ISP server, so what I send
>> > a copy doesn't stay on the ISP's server. It gets sent
>> > straight to the person I've emailed.
>> >
>> > And even tho u can change the smtp port in either
>> > program, changing it in OE usually brings up an error.
>> >
>> > And I can get BOTH Spampal and the other program
>> > to run without conflicting with port 25, its only OE.
>> >
>> > It packs a sad lol.
>> >
>> > And in the email settings (for the accounts - for both programs), this
>> > creates a prob too.
>> >
>> > Like, with the Spampal settings pop under the account
>> > name has to be localhost. SMTP smtp@isp.
>> >
>> > BUT in the other program smtp is localhost. And pop

September 2, 2005 7:46:35 PM

Nah I know Spampal is working. I've been
using it for the last 6-7 mths or so.

Atm, its blacklisting over 50+ PITA emails/ISPS
I've blacklisted in it.

So, I know this is configured properly.

"Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
news:D f847p$2bm$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Hi all,
>
> I use two programs that use port 25 (smtp).
>
> However, you can't access port 25, twice.
>
> Is there any other way, to make it, so both programs
> can run, instead of me quitting one or the other
> all the time? Or would I need 2 email programs?
>
> Would this fix it?
>
> Any info appreciated
>
> Thanx

September 2, 2005 9:57:56 PM

Hmm looks like its going now. I just have to
send from the Gmail site, if I want to send from there.

Spampal and Email Privacy seem to work
side by side OK.

As I can make Spam transparent
so both share port 25.

It looks like its Gmail thats the prob.

"Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
news:D f8huj$rl9$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Nah I know Spampal is working. I've been
> using it for the last 6-7 mths or so.
>
> Atm, its blacklisting over 50+ PITA emails/ISPS
> I've blacklisted in it.
>
> So, I know this is configured properly.
>

> "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> news:D f847p$2bm$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I use two programs that use port 25 (smtp).
>>
>> However, you can't access port 25, twice.
>>
>> Is there any other way, to make it, so both programs
>> can run, instead of me quitting one or the other
>> all the time? Or would I need 2 email programs?
>>
>> Would this fix it?
>>
>> Any info appreciated
>>
>> Thanx

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 9:57:57 PM

Gmail does not use port 25, they use 465 out and 995 in.

"Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
news:D f8pkt$a9i$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Hmm looks like its going now. I just have to
> send from the Gmail site, if I want to send from there.
>
> Spampal and Email Privacy seem to work
> side by side OK.
>
> As I can make Spam transparent
> so both share port 25.
>
> It looks like its Gmail thats the prob.
>

> "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> news:D f8huj$rl9$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>> Nah I know Spampal is working. I've been
>> using it for the last 6-7 mths or so.
>>
>> Atm, its blacklisting over 50+ PITA emails/ISPS
>> I've blacklisted in it.
>>
>> So, I know this is configured properly.
>>

>> "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
>> news:D f847p$2bm$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I use two programs that use port 25 (smtp).
>>>
>>> However, you can't access port 25, twice.
>>>
>>> Is there any other way, to make it, so both programs
>>> can run, instead of me quitting one or the other
>>> all the time? Or would I need 2 email programs?
>>>
>>> Would this fix it?
>>>
>>> Any info appreciated
>>>
>>> Thanx

September 3, 2005 4:21:57 PM

Yup, I got most of it to work.

Gmail doesnt play nice with either Spampal
or Email Privacy.

As it doesnt understand localhost in the SMTP field in OE. BUT Spampal and
Email now run together.

I had to change the smtp entry in Spampal to transparent.

Otherwise, Spampal and Email Privacy clash.

Email Privacy now works with outgoing email (from normal email), as its
counter goes up, when I send.

Spampal also works / checks for spam when I check for
incoming email.

Either from Gmail or my normal email.

So, it doesnt really matter whether Gmail works or not
with Spampal.

Since I've forwarded my Gmail to my normal email.
Spampal scans for spam when it comes thru to my normal email. For either
email.

Gmail just doesnt work with Email privacy, when I send
from it. I can live with that.

news:p HZRe.306$pt.4@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net...

!