replacing Win2000 by Win XP

I've got a Dell Dimension 8100 (about 3 years old) on which Windows
2000 Prof. is installed, the original Dell OEM version.
I'm thinking of replacing Win 2000 by Windows XP. In connection
herewith I have some questions.

1. Can I use an official Microsoft Windows XP or is it necessary to
use an Dell-OEM version ?
2. In both cases : can I install the Win XP over the existing Win 2000
or should I do a clean install ?
3. If a clean install is necessary, how can I find and install the
drivers regarding the Dell-specific things as there are the Dell
monitor, OEM graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 2), OEM sound card (SB live)
?

Thankfull for your help,
wederik

You can use a generic off-the-shelf Windows XP. The Dell OEM version, packaged
as a restore CD, is essentially the same thing.

If you have extremely valuable software and do not have the software media to
reinstall it, then install Windows XP over the existing Windows 2000.
Otherwise, you will end up with a cleaner Windows installation by reformatting
and installing from scratch. The Windows registry is notorious for becoming
bloated over time, cluttered with useless entries. You might as well avoid the
registry bloat... Ben Myers

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 14:47:03 +0200, "wederik" <wederikNOSPAM@chello.nl> wrote:

>I've got a Dell Dimension 8100 (about 3 years old) on which Windows
>2000 Prof. is installed, the original Dell OEM version.
>I'm thinking of replacing Win 2000 by Windows XP. In connection
>herewith I have some questions.
>
>1. Can I use an official Microsoft Windows XP or is it necessary to
>use an Dell-OEM version ?
>2. In both cases : can I install the Win XP over the existing Win 2000
>or should I do a clean install ?
>3. If a clean install is necessary, how can I find and install the
>drivers regarding the Dell-specific things as there are the Dell
>monitor, OEM graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 2), OEM sound card (SB live)
>?
>
>Thankfull for your help,
>wederik

First, there's a BIOS update needed for XP on the 8100 - make sure you load
that first.
You can use an off-the-shelf XP copy to do the install.

DO NOT upgrade 2000 to XP - back up your data, and do a clean install.

You can download all necessary drivers at support.dell.com. Enter your
service tag number, and choose Downloads.

The order should be: OS, then chipset drivers, then any service packs and
updates, and finally all other drivers for your system. MAKE SURE you run
Windows update after you install - especially if your copy of XP doesn't
include SP2, or you will soon find yourself the victim of a virus or trojan.

and the drivers are available at support.dell.com

Runs XP well.

Tom

wederik wrote:
> I've got a Dell Dimension 8100 (about 3 years old) on which Windows
> 2000 Prof. is installed, the original Dell OEM version.
> I'm thinking of replacing Win 2000 by Windows XP. In connection
> herewith I have some questions.
>
> 1. Can I use an official Microsoft Windows XP or is it necessary to
> use an Dell-OEM version ?
> 2. In both cases : can I install the Win XP over the existing Win
2000
> or should I do a clean install ?
> 3. If a clean install is necessary, how can I find and install the
> drivers regarding the Dell-specific things as there are the Dell
> monitor, OEM graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 2), OEM sound card (SB
live)
> ?
>
> Thankfull for your help,
> wederik

Thank you all for your prompt and clear reactions.
It now is clear what should be done.
Just one question for Edward. As english is not my motherlanguage (as
you certainly noticed), I wonder what exactly means "chipset drivers".
Do you mean by that 'the set of drivers' or is 'chipset' a verb ?
Thanks again,
wederik

In this context the word chipset would be a noun since it is the proper name
of something. Of course it has been a while since HS English (a long while).
The chipset on the motherboard requires drivers to function properly within
the Windows OS. I believe that XP has the drivers built in for the Intel 850
chipset but you can download the drivers at the link below. Download the
item numbered 1. That should do the trick.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=45&strTypes=DRV%2CARC%2CUTL&ProductID=572&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&submit=Go%21

Or try this link for easier browsing.

http://tinyurl.com/vapq

Regards,
John O.

> wederik wrote:
>> I've got a Dell Dimension 8100 (about 3 years old) on which Windows
>> 2000 Prof. is installed, the original Dell OEM version.
>> I'm thinking of replacing Win 2000 by Windows XP. In connection
>> herewith I have some questions.
>>
>> 1. Can I use an official Microsoft Windows XP or is it necessary to
>> use an Dell-OEM version ?
>> 2. In both cases : can I install the Win XP over the existing Win
> 2000
>> or should I do a clean install ?
>> 3. If a clean install is necessary, how can I find and install the
>> drivers regarding the Dell-specific things as there are the Dell
>> monitor, OEM graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 2), OEM sound card (SB
> live)
>> ?
>>
>> Thankfull for your help,
>> wederik
>

> Thank you all for your prompt and clear reactions.
> It now is clear what should be done.
> Just one question for Edward. As english is not my motherlanguage (as
> you certainly noticed), I wonder what exactly means "chipset drivers".
> Do you mean by that 'the set of drivers' or is 'chipset' a verb ?
> Thanks again,
> wederik

Thanks John, this is quite a new problem to me. I'm not a very
exprienced computeruser.
So, good that I've asked but much better that you've answered ! This
really seems a pitfall to me
Via the links you gave me I saw several things meant for Windows XP
Home edition and the ' Intel 850 chipset family'. But how can I find
out which 'chipset-family' I've got in my Dimension 8100 ? As far as I
can see it's called "Dell Computer Corp 82850 Host-Hub Interface
Bridge Device (A-2 step).
And what if I want to install not the home-version but the prof.
version of Win XP ?
I'm beginning to believe I'd better stick to the Windows 2000 ...
But I still hope there is a solution that's even understandable for a
simple user.
Greetings,
wederik

JJO wrote:
> In this context the word chipset would be a noun since it is the
> proper name of something. Of course it has been a while since HS
> English (a long while). The chipset on the motherboard requires
> drivers to function properly within the Windows OS. I believe that
XP
> has the drivers built in for the Intel 850 chipset but you can
> download the drivers at the link below. Download the item numbered
1.
> That should do the trick.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=45&strTypes=DRV%2CARC%2CUTL&ProductID=572&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&submit=Go%21

> Or try this link for easier browsing.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/vapq
>

> Regards,
> John O.
>

> "wederik" <wederik@NOSPAMchello.nl> wrote in message
>> wederik wrote:
>>> I've got a Dell Dimension 8100 (about 3 years old) on which
Windows
>>> 2000 Prof. is installed, the original Dell OEM version.
>>> I'm thinking of replacing Win 2000 by Windows XP. In connection
>>> herewith I have some questions.
>>>
>>> 1. Can I use an official Microsoft Windows XP or is it necessary
>>> use an Dell-OEM version ?
>>> 2. In both cases : can I install the Win XP over the existing Win
>> 2000
>>> or should I do a clean install ?
>>> 3. If a clean install is necessary, how can I find and install the
>>> drivers regarding the Dell-specific things as there are the Dell
>>> monitor, OEM graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 2), OEM sound card (SB
>> live)
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Thankfull for your help,
>>> wederik
>>

>> Thank you all for your prompt and clear reactions.
>> It now is clear what should be done.
>> Just one question for Edward. As english is not my motherlanguage
(as
>> you certainly noticed), I wonder what exactly means "chipset
>> drivers". Do you mean by that 'the set of drivers' or is 'chipset'
>> verb ? Thanks again,
>> wederik

"wederik" <wederikNOSPAM@chello.nl> wrote:

>Thanks John, this is quite a new problem to me. I'm not a very
>exprienced computeruser.
>So, good that I've asked but much better that you've answered ! This
>really seems a pitfall to me

>Via the links you gave me I saw several things meant for Windows XP
>Home edition and the ' Intel 850 chipset family'. But how can I find
>out which 'chipset-family' I've got in my Dimension 8100 ? As far as I
>can see it's called "Dell Computer Corp 82850 Host-Hub Interface
>Bridge Device (A-2 step).

[Caveat - I'm guessing you bought from Dell-Euro, and this first
paragraph is based on my US experience.]

If you've got your original order paperwork - confirmation,
packing list(s), invoice(s) - it may well be identified there.
Or, you can go to the Dell support site, enter the Service Tag #
or Express Service Code # [both of which should be on a tag
affixed to the side or back of your computer], and you should be
presented with the exact as-shipped configuration of your
machine. [Although at first glance, my mind says that 82850
designation on the Host-Hub interface suggests that your computer
does have the 850 chipset family.]

>And what if I want to install not the home-version but the prof.
>version of Win XP ?
>I'm beginning to believe I'd better stick to the Windows 2000 ...

Not a problem. I upgraded an older Dell, a Dimension L733r, from
WinME to WinXPPro at the same time I got a new D4400, also with
XPPro. I have used Win2K Pro at work, before our IT weenies
decided to upgrade the work systems/networks to XPPro. Despite
my early worries about the change from 98SE/ME at home and 2K at
work, I now feel that XP, whether Home or Pro depending -
generally - on your networking/multi-machine environment needs,
is the way to go if you're going Windows. I have become very
comfortable with it at work and at home.

>But I still hope there is a solution that's even understandable for a
>simple user.

There is, and the folks here will help you with it.
--
OJ III

Not a problem. The 8100 uses the 850 series chipset and the number 1 file on
the list that I linked is the correct file. It does not matter if it is XP
Pro or Home. That file will do the job. And that chipset driver is for
98/98SE/ME/2000/XP so it covers the full range of products. This is the link
for the exact file download page...

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/download.asp?url=/7484/eng/infinst_enu.exe&ProductID=572

Regards,
John O.

> Thanks John, this is quite a new problem to me. I'm not a very
> exprienced computeruser.
> So, good that I've asked but much better that you've answered ! This
> really seems a pitfall to me
> Via the links you gave me I saw several things meant for Windows XP
> Home edition and the ' Intel 850 chipset family'. But how can I find
> out which 'chipset-family' I've got in my Dimension 8100 ? As far as I
> can see it's called "Dell Computer Corp 82850 Host-Hub Interface
> Bridge Device (A-2 step).
> And what if I want to install not the home-version but the prof.
> version of Win XP ?
> I'm beginning to believe I'd better stick to the Windows 2000 ...
> But I still hope there is a solution that's even understandable for a
> simple user.
> Greetings,
> wederik
>

> JJO wrote:
>> In this context the word chipset would be a noun since it is the
>> proper name of something. Of course it has been a while since HS
>> English (a long while). The chipset on the motherboard requires
>> drivers to function properly within the Windows OS. I believe that
> XP
>> has the drivers built in for the Intel 850 chipset but you can
>> download the drivers at the link below. Download the item numbered
> 1.
>> That should do the trick.
>>

> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=45&strTypes=DRV%2CARC%2CUTL&ProductID=572&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&submit=Go%21
>>
>> Or try this link for easier browsing.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/vapq
>>

>> Regards,
>> John O.
>>

>> "wederik" <wederik@NOSPAMchello.nl> wrote in message
> Windows

>>> 2000
>>> live)

>>> Thank you all for your prompt and clear reactions.
>>> It now is clear what should be done.
>>> Just one question for Edward. As english is not my motherlanguage
> (as
>>> you certainly noticed), I wonder what exactly means "chipset
>>> drivers". Do you mean by that 'the set of drivers' or is 'chipset'
>>> verb ? Thanks again,
>>> wederik

Thank you both for being so helpful.
I regained confidence in performing the project.
May I bother you with one more question regarding this chipset-affair.
Is installing the chipset drivers an irriversable act ?
Normally, using a (NortonGhost) backup, I can exactly restore the
former situation. I assume that does not apply to those
chipset-drivers, so in this case it will not be possible to go back to
the Win 2000 configuration ?
T.i.a.
wederik

If you decide to revert to Win2k after a clean install of WinXP, you will
have to wipe your hard drive clean then reinstall Win2k and all drivers and
software. Think of chipset software as just another driver like a video
driver or audio driver. It is just software and can be removed.

> Thank you both for being so helpful.
> I regained confidence in performing the project.
> May I bother you with one more question regarding this chipset-affair.
> Is installing the chipset drivers an irriversable act ?
> Normally, using a (NortonGhost) backup, I can exactly restore the
> former situation. I assume that does not apply to those
> chipset-drivers, so in this case it will not be possible to go back to
> the Win 2000 configuration ?
> T.i.a.
> wederik

Nice analogy and right on the mark. It should be a very simple procedure.

Regards,
John O.

> If you decide to revert to Win2k after a clean install of WinXP, you will
> have to wipe your hard drive clean then reinstall Win2k and all drivers
> and software. Think of chipset software as just another driver like a
> video driver or audio driver. It is just software and can be removed.
>
> "wederik" <wederikNOSPAM@chello.nl> wrote in message
>> Thank you both for being so helpful.
>> I regained confidence in performing the project.
>> May I bother you with one more question regarding this chipset-affair.
>> Is installing the chipset drivers an irriversable act ?
>> Normally, using a (NortonGhost) backup, I can exactly restore the
>> former situation. I assume that does not apply to those
>> chipset-drivers, so in this case it will not be possible to go back to
>> the Win 2000 configuration ?
>> T.i.a.
>> wederik

Thank you. This is a reassuring thing to know !

wederik wrote:

> I've got a Dell Dimension 8100 (about 3 years old) on which Windows
> 2000 Prof. is installed, the original Dell OEM version.
> I'm thinking of replacing Win 2000 by Windows XP. In connection
> herewith I have some questions.
>
> 1. Can I use an official Microsoft Windows XP or is it necessary to
> use an Dell-OEM version ?
> 2. In both cases : can I install the Win XP over the existing Win 2000
> or should I do a clean install ?
> 3. If a clean install is necessary, how can I find and install the
> drivers regarding the Dell-specific things as there are the Dell
> monitor, OEM graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 2), OEM sound card (SB live)
> ?
>
> Thankfull for your help,
> wederik

You already got good advice, but I didn't notice anyone mentioning that
you can use an XP upgrade disk for this even with a clean install. But,
IIRC, you must upgrade to WinXP Pro.

BTW, I've upgraded a couple of 8100s to XP from ME using a clean install
and XP runs great.

Bob

Bob Levine wrote:
> wederik wrote:
>
>> I've got a Dell Dimension 8100 (about 3 years old) on which Windows
>> 2000 Prof. is installed, the original Dell OEM version.
>> I'm thinking of replacing Win 2000 by Windows XP. In connection
>> herewith I have some questions.
>>
>> 1. Can I use an official Microsoft Windows XP or is it necessary to
>> use an Dell-OEM version ?
>> 2. In both cases : can I install the Win XP over the existing Win
>> 2000 or should I do a clean install ?
>> 3. If a clean install is necessary, how can I find and install the
>> drivers regarding the Dell-specific things as there are the Dell
>> monitor, OEM graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 2), OEM sound card (SB
>> live) ?
>>
>> Thankfull for your help,
>> wederik
>>

> You already got good advice, but I didn't notice anyone mentioning
> that you can use an XP upgrade disk for this even with a clean
> install. But, IIRC, you must upgrade to WinXP Pro.
>
> BTW, I've upgraded a couple of 8100s to XP from ME using a clean
> install and XP runs great.
>
> Bob

Thanks Bob,
Indeed, this NG evidently has a lot of very friendly and helpful
members.
Your advice re an upgrade XP at least saves me some euro's !
And your experience with the upgrading of the 8100's is encouraging.
(I couldn't find out in the dictionary what the abbreviation "IIRC"
means but I do understand your point)
Regards,
wederik

wederik wrote:

> Thanks Bob,
> Indeed, this NG evidently has a lot of very friendly and helpful
> members.
> Your advice re an upgrade XP at least saves me some euro's !
> And your experience with the upgrading of the 8100's is encouraging.
> (I couldn't find out in the dictionary what the abbreviation "IIRC"
> means but I do understand your point)
> Regards,
> wederik

IIRC=If I remember correctly.