attention Kurt [only Kurt please]

Kurt, please tell me exactly which version of oem xp home i need to
do a "repair" install [not "press "R" to use recovery console"]

I am trying to do a repair install over the top of an compaq laptop
installation, using a purchased oem xp home, NOT the original compaq
restore i386 files.

There is no option to do this when it gets to the screen where you
can select the command console or repair install.

I have used 2 different oem home xp cd's and neither gave me the
repair install option.

One of these cd's has the win9xupg etc directories in the i386
directory, but still no go.

The compaq install is rtm and the oem cd's are rtm.

thanks for your time Kurt.

slartyb

ban rectum thermometers

slartyb wrote:
> Kurt, please tell me exactly which version of oem xp home i need to
> do a "repair" install [not "press "R" to use recovery console"]
>
> I am trying to do a repair install over the top of an compaq laptop
> installation, using a purchased oem xp home, NOT the original compaq
> restore i386 files.
>
> There is no option to do this when it gets to the screen where you
> can select the command console or repair install.
>
> I have used 2 different oem home xp cd's and neither gave me the
> repair install option.
>
> One of these cd's has the win9xupg etc directories in the i386
> directory, but still no go.
>
> The compaq install is rtm and the oem cd's are rtm.
>
> thanks for your time Kurt.
>
> slartyb
>

> ban rectum thermometers

You would need the generic Microsoft branded OEM version. There are a
couple of problems with this though.

You will break the BIOS-Lock and will have to activate.
Repair installs don't fix all problems and sometime a clean install is
necessary, so if you have one of these problems, buying another copy of
OEM XP Home won't help.
I haven't had much experience with HP/Compaq Computer since before XP
was released, so they have done something to prevent repair installs,
since they don't give out install CDs, but recovery images.

You may want to open up you question up to the rest of the group, to see
if anyone else has had any luck doing a repair install of a Compaq
Computer. Good Luck.

--
Peace!
Kurt

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:48:59 +0800, slartyb <slartyb@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Kurt, please tell me exactly which version of oem xp home i need to
>do a "repair" install [not "press "R" to use recovery console"]
>
>I am trying to do a repair install over the top of an compaq laptop
>installation, using a purchased oem xp home, NOT the original compaq
>restore i386 files.
>
>There is no option to do this when it gets to the screen where you
>can select the command console or repair install.
>
>I have used 2 different oem home xp cd's and neither gave me the
>repair install option.
>
>One of these cd's has the win9xupg etc directories in the i386
>directory, but still no go.
>
>The compaq install is rtm and the oem cd's are rtm.
>
>thanks for your time Kurt.
>
>slartyb
>

>ban rectum thermometers

ok that is a help, ...another question.. what is actually involved
with the "bios lock", is this a file in the windows directory etc?

the activation is not a problem,... this bios lock is what i need to
find out about.

thanks Kurt, any info from yourself or others on the bios lock is
welcome

slartyb
ban rectum thermometers

slartyb wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:48:59 +0800, slartyb <slartyb@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Kurt, please tell me exactly which version of oem xp home i need to
>> do a "repair" install [not "press "R" to use recovery console"]
>>
>> I am trying to do a repair install over the top of an compaq laptop
>> installation, using a purchased oem xp home, NOT the original compaq
>> restore i386 files.
>>
>> There is no option to do this when it gets to the screen where you
>> can select the command console or repair install.
>>
>> I have used 2 different oem home xp cd's and neither gave me the
>> repair install option.
>>
>> One of these cd's has the win9xupg etc directories in the i386
>> directory, but still no go.
>>
>> The compaq install is rtm and the oem cd's are rtm.
>>
>> thanks for your time Kurt.
>>
>> slartyb
>>

>> ban rectum thermometers
>
> ok that is a help, ...another question.. what is actually involved
> with the "bios lock", is this a file in the windows directory etc?
>
> the activation is not a problem,... this bios lock is what i need to
> find out about.
>
> thanks Kurt, any info from yourself or others on the bios lock is
> welcome
>
> slartyb
> ban rectum thermometers

Basically, instead of comparing the hardware hash to the hardware on
bootup, PA checks the BIOS code for OEM info.