Al

Hey all, I am having a problem where every 3 weeks or so my registry gets
corrupted...I know how to fix this generally, but once I have replaced the
registry files I get corruptions in the system32\driver folder as well...if I
keep replacing these files eventually I just get the 'blue screen of death'
anyway so it's pointless. Does anyone know why the registry keeps breaking?

I dont know if it helps but, I am running McAfee Security Center, and that
is nearly always the first program that goes..the icon turns black (meaning
it's disabled) and then I know the wave of nonesense is coming. The pc
freezes, and I get files missing messages upon restarting.

Is there anything I can do to protect against this more efficiently? For
example a program which can automatically fix the registry if it gets
threatened, or idealy stop them from being threatened in the first place.

Thanks a lot for any help or advice.
Alex

"Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey all, I am having a problem where every 3 weeks or so my registry
> gets corrupted...I know how to fix this generally, but once I have
> replaced the registry files I get corruptions in the system32\driver
> folder as well...if I keep replacing these files eventually I just
> get the 'blue screen of death' anyway so it's pointless. Does anyone
> know why the registry keeps breaking?
>
> I dont know if it helps but, I am running McAfee Security Center, and
> that is nearly always the first program that goes..the icon turns
> black (meaning it's disabled) and then I know the wave of nonesense
> is coming. The pc freezes, and I get files missing messages upon
> restarting.
>
> Is there anything I can do to protect against this more efficiently?
> For example a program which can automatically fix the registry if it
> gets threatened, or idealy stop them from being threatened in the
> first place.
>
> Thanks a lot for any help or advice.
> Alex

First eliminate any spyware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stack and you may
not be able to connect to the Internet. Before you try to remove spyware,
download a copy of LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2
stacks (all Windows versions)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
WinXP:
Get WinSockxpFix
How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
CMD
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

See
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/tshoot.htm
http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

I suggest running chkdsk /r as one measure. Bad sectors or a failing hard
drive is one possible cause of these repeat events.
--

"Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey all, I am having a problem where every 3 weeks or so my registry gets
> corrupted...I know how to fix this generally, but once I have replaced the
> registry files I get corruptions in the system32\driver folder as
> well...if I
> keep replacing these files eventually I just get the 'blue screen of
> death'
> anyway so it's pointless. Does anyone know why the registry keeps
> breaking?
>
> I dont know if it helps but, I am running McAfee Security Center, and that
> is nearly always the first program that goes..the icon turns black
> (meaning
> it's disabled) and then I know the wave of nonesense is coming. The pc
> freezes, and I get files missing messages upon restarting.
>
> Is there anything I can do to protect against this more efficiently? For
> example a program which can automatically fix the registry if it gets
> threatened, or idealy stop them from being threatened in the first place.
>
> Thanks a lot for any help or advice.
> Alex

Bad ram is another possible cause.

Kerry

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:ejTKxN2rFHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I suggest running chkdsk /r as one measure. Bad sectors or a failing hard
>drive is one possible cause of these repeat events.
> --
>
> "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hey all, I am having a problem where every 3 weeks or so my registry gets
>> corrupted...I know how to fix this generally, but once I have replaced
>> the
>> registry files I get corruptions in the system32\driver folder as
>> well...if I
>> keep replacing these files eventually I just get the 'blue screen of
>> death'
>> anyway so it's pointless. Does anyone know why the registry keeps
>> breaking?
>>
>> I dont know if it helps but, I am running McAfee Security Center, and
>> that
>> is nearly always the first program that goes..the icon turns black
>> (meaning
>> it's disabled) and then I know the wave of nonesense is coming. The pc
>> freezes, and I get files missing messages upon restarting.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do to protect against this more efficiently? For
>> example a program which can automatically fix the registry if it gets
>> threatened, or idealy stop them from being threatened in the first place.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for any help or advice.
>> Alex

'How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting'
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q307545

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Al wrote:

> Hey all, I am having a problem where every 3 weeks or so my registry gets
> corrupted...I know how to fix this generally, but once I have replaced the
> registry files I get corruptions in the system32\driver folder as well...if I
> keep replacing these files eventually I just get the 'blue screen of death'
> anyway so it's pointless. Does anyone know why the registry keeps breaking?
>
> I dont know if it helps but, I am running McAfee Security Center, and that
> is nearly always the first program that goes..the icon turns black (meaning
> it's disabled) and then I know the wave of nonesense is coming. The pc
> freezes, and I get files missing messages upon restarting.
>
> Is there anything I can do to protect against this more efficiently? For
> example a program which can automatically fix the registry if it gets
> threatened, or idealy stop them from being threatened in the first place.
>
> Thanks a lot for any help or advice.
> Alex

Al

I know how to fix the registry, that isnt what I asked. I asked if there is
a way to stop it from breaking...or if there is an explination for it
happening every 3 weeks.

regards
Alex

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> 'How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
> starting'
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q307545
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>

> Al wrote:
>
> > Hey all, I am having a problem where every 3 weeks or so my registry gets
> > corrupted...I know how to fix this generally, but once I have replaced the
> > registry files I get corruptions in the system32\driver folder as well...if I
> > keep replacing these files eventually I just get the 'blue screen of death'
> > anyway so it's pointless. Does anyone know why the registry keeps breaking?
> >
> > I dont know if it helps but, I am running McAfee Security Center, and that
> > is nearly always the first program that goes..the icon turns black (meaning
> > it's disabled) and then I know the wave of nonesense is coming. The pc
> > freezes, and I get files missing messages upon restarting.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to protect against this more efficiently? For
> > example a program which can automatically fix the registry if it gets
> > threatened, or idealy stop them from being threatened in the first place.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for any help or advice.
> > Alex

Make sure that your system is clean.Scan your system with latest virus
definitioned antivirus,Spybot,search and destroy,CWShredder as well as
with adaware.Run all the latest versions in safe mode.

see also:-
How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Al wrote:

> I know how to fix the registry, that isnt what I asked. I asked if there is
> a way to stop it from breaking...or if there is an explination for it
> happening every 3 weeks.
>
> regards
> Alex
>
> "S.Sengupta" wrote:
>

>>'How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
>>starting'
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q307545
>>
>>regards,
>>ssg MS-MVP
>>

>>Al wrote:
>>

>>>Hey all, I am having a problem where every 3 weeks or so my registry gets
>>>corrupted...I know how to fix this generally, but once I have replaced the
>>>registry files I get corruptions in the system32\driver folder as well...if I
>>>keep replacing these files eventually I just get the 'blue screen of death'
>>>anyway so it's pointless. Does anyone know why the registry keeps breaking?
>>>
>>>I dont know if it helps but, I am running McAfee Security Center, and that
>>>is nearly always the first program that goes..the icon turns black (meaning
>>>it's disabled) and then I know the wave of nonesense is coming. The pc
>>>freezes, and I get files missing messages upon restarting.
>>>
>>>Is there anything I can do to protect against this more efficiently? For
>>>example a program which can automatically fix the registry if it gets
>>>threatened, or idealy stop them from being threatened in the first place.
>>>
>>>Thanks a lot for any help or advice.
>>>Alex

frodo

Kerry Brown <kerry@kdbnospamsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
> Bad ram is another possible cause.

Yeah, I'd agree w/ this. Test your RAM w/ memtest86+, it should run at
least 2 cycles w/ zero errors to be considered ok. Even a single error is
too many.

http://www.memtest.org/

get the "pre-compiled package for floppy", or if you have no floppy drive
then the "pre-compiled bootable ISO" [you'll need a cd burner program that
handles ISOs, like EZCD or Nero; I'm sure there are freebees out there
too].