Intel or Duron?

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
What is best for a "non-video encoding" work computer?
Intel p4 1.5 Ghz pc1600 memory I believe it's quad pumped ddr - ddr 400 and uses the Intel NetBurst micro-architecture...

or Duron 1.3 Ghz with pc 1600 200 ddr effective

These two computers above are both used and contain virtualy the same components other than whats mentioned above. My friend thinks the p4 1.5 Ghz system is better cause it cost much more when new. right now they are selling used for the same price.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

sturm

Splendid
So if I sold your friend a $10,000 Yugo its better than a $7,000 Chevy?
Just because the Intel cost more doesnt mean its better. Now in this case the intel will do better than the duron. If it was an athlon I would say go with the athlon.
Just wondering why you are looking at such a low end cpu. You can get a Barton 2500+ for $90.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Wondering: Do Durons 1.3 ghz based on the 'morgan' core exist? I was pretty sure they don't.
If not, than why would you buy a used Applegate? Where to be more precise. They came out like two months ago.

P.S. I would go for the Duron, but only if it's an Applegate.

<font color=blue>
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not " <b>--</b> <i><font color=red> George Bernard Shaw</i></font color=red></font color=blue>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re:
So if I sold your friend a $10,000 Yugo its better than a $7,000 Chevy? Just because the Intel cost more doesnt mean its better.

Ya thats kinda what I told the guy.

Now in this case the intel will do better than the duron. If it was an athlon I would say go with the athlon.

Ya I'm thinking the p4@1.5 would have a slight advantage due to the larger cache and sse and sse2 support. If it was an athlon @ 1.3 I'd think it would be really close but still no sse support. If it was an xp1500+ (athlon @1.3 with sse) I'd reccomend that way for sure. the differences are so minor its almost a silly post.

Just wondering why you are looking at such a low end cpu. You can get a Barton 2500+ for $90.

Its a used computer business thats shuting down and they are blowing out these complete systems really cheap. The guy wants it because he needs a computer for internet email office etc. The guy wont be upgrading just keeping the system for a couple of years then buying a new one if his new business works out.

I don't see how this guy can go wrong for the price but I think I'll recomend the p4@1.5 but like I said the differences are so minor its kind of a silly post.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

TRENDING THREADS