Sign in with
Your question

Printer keeps going offline

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 24, 2010 11:35:48 PM

About 4 month ago I brought a Brother laser printer "HL-4070CDW," one of the best printers I've ever brought. My problem is every now and then the print will go offline. This happens for the two of three computers I have. Two of them having Windows 7 and the third having XP which is fine. When the printer goes offline I can not put in online again. The only way to do this would be to uninstall and reinstall it. After awhile this became a pain. If anyone knows a way to fix please I would like to know how. Thanks

More about : printer offline

October 26, 2010 3:39:53 AM

You may have a dynamic IP address on the printer which knocks it offline when the IP address updates.

Print out a Network Configuration Report from the printer. Should be an option directly on the printer. Check the IP address. If the last digit gets changed around after a few reports, that's likely the problem.

Right click your printer and select Printer Properties (not just Properties at the bottom). Click the Ports tab, select your printer and click Configure Port. Should allow you to lock in the IP from there.

If that doesn't work, I have a more detailed option.

By the way, what method are you using to connect the printer to everything?
m
l
October 26, 2010 11:24:14 PM

TheViper said:
You may have a dynamic IP address on the printer which knocks it offline when the IP address updates.

Print out a Network Configuration Report from the printer. Should be an option directly on the printer. Check the IP address. If the last digit gets changed around after a few reports, that's likely the problem.

Right click your printer and select Printer Properties (not just Properties at the bottom). Click the Ports tab, select your printer and click Configure Port. Should allow you to lock in the IP from there.

The printer is wireless so its connected to the router via wireless. Then the router connect to two computer wired and one through wireless
m
l
Related resources
November 28, 2010 12:19:21 PM

TheViper said:

Sorry it took so long, the IP address does change and I do not see how to lock. It is changing more and more, so what is that more detailed option. Thanks
m
l
March 24, 2012 4:34:39 PM

bartsarzy said:
About 4 month ago I brought a Brother laser printer "HL-4070CDW," one of the best printers I've ever brought. My problem is every now and then the print will go offline. This happens for the two of three computers I have. Two of them having Windows 7 and the third having XP which is fine. When the printer goes offline I can not put in online again. The only way to do this would be to uninstall and reinstall it. After awhile this became a pain. If anyone knows a way to fix please I would like to know how. Thanks

Have the same problem - the way round I've found is to switch the printer on before switching on the pc then it works - not very satisfactory 'cause if one forgets then one has to start the whole circus again..............
m
l
August 22, 2012 8:22:03 PM

Plug it directly into the wall. I don't know why but it seems to work. Suddenly this year ALL my brother printers started going off line and I read somewhere to plug them into the wall, NO power strip and it seems to work, fingers crossed.
m
l
August 24, 2012 8:24:55 AM

It might be possible that your firmware and drivers are not updated. You should update them. The second thing you need to check is whether your printer has static IP or not not. Most networks use wide range o f IP and sometimes it happens that your IP gets changed. Your printer should have static IP.

laser toners
m
l
January 22, 2013 8:28:44 PM

TheViper said:

What is the more detailed option? I am also having problems with a "dynamic IP address." I thought I locked it/changed it to STATIC in but my printer is offline again. I'm frustrated with this issue. It has cost me all day today and part of last Friday.

Any help will be much appreciated.
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:49:40 PM

TheViper said:

HP1536dnf laserprinter off-line, had deleted and re-installed to get on-line.
Checked ip config under properties/ ports and found 'WSD' port selected. Changed to 192.16... standard tcp/ip and printer immediately began printing.
Thanks for your ip clue, you were absolutely correct!
m
l
December 31, 2013 3:07:03 AM

gfblack said:
TheViper said:

Checked ip config under properties/ ports and found 'WSD' port selected. Changed to 192.16... standard tcp/ip and printer immediately began printing.

Thank you TheViper and gfblack

TheViper as gfblack has said has pointed us in the direction of the problem (a dynamic IP address), how to evidence this (printing from the printer) and where in "printer properties" a port change will need to be made.

gfblack has added value by having us look for a selected "WSD" port and directed us to change that to a standard TCP/IP port.

I think that I can now express this advice as a single process that includes more detail about changing the port and getting the "instant printing" result. This will work in a W8 environment. Others may confirm whether it works for W7 as well.

1) Through the Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Devices and Printers, right click on the problematic printer.

2) Select "printer properties", not properties. Select the "Ports" Tab. If the "WSD" is ticked, this is the port that you want to untick and replace. You are unlikely to be able to do this immediately.

3) Click on the "General" Tab. Click on the Administrator "Change Properties" button (this assumes you are logged on with Administrator rights".

4) Re-select the Ports Tab. Click on the "Add Port" button. A list of Available Port Types will displayed. If a "Standard TCP/IP Port" type is listed click on it, if not click on the "New Port" button, Regardless, each will launch the same Wizard that will allow you enter to an IP address and port name that will become static, When completed, click on the "Next" and "Apply" buttons. The "Standard TCP/IP Port" will be selected and the"WSD port" will be un-selected. Any jobs that are in the print queue will commence (i.e., you might want to delete some pending prints you may have accumulated along the way).
m
l
January 5, 2014 1:16:08 PM

I have a similar problem, my brother mfc5890cn printer and routing computers (wired) to a wireless router then wired to a linksys printserver with a static IP address- i have reinstalled and removed the brother printer and drivers from my win7 computer, etc. and i can still only print from my xp computer. i used to be able to print wirelessly via the wireless router but now even that option has stopped. could my linksys printserver changed address? yet that would mean my xp computer wouldn't work, correct?
help!

GadflyJeff said:
gfblack said:
TheViper said:

Thank you TheViper and gfblack

TheViper as gfblack has said has pointed us in the direction of the problem (a dynamic IP address), how to evidence this (printing from the printer) and where in "printer properties" a port change will need to be made.

gfblack has added value by having us look for a selected "WSD" port and directed us to change that to a standard TCP/IP port.

I think that I can now express this advice as a single process that includes more detail about changing the port and getting the "instant printing" result. This will work in a W8 environment. Others may confirm whether it works for W7 as well.

1) Through the Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Devices and Printers, right click on the problematic printer.

2) Select "printer properties", not properties. Select the "Ports" Tab. If the "WSD" is ticked, this is the port that you want to untick and replace. You are unlikely to be able to do this immediately.

3) Click on the "General" Tab. Click on the Administrator "Change Properties" button (this assumes you are logged on with Administrator rights".

4) Re-select the Ports Tab. Click on the "Add Port" button. A list of Available Port Types will displayed. If a "Standard TCP/IP Port" type is listed click on it, if not click on the "New Port" button, Regardless, each will launch the same Wizard that will allow you enter to an IP address and port name that will become static, When completed, click on the "Next" and "Apply" buttons. The "Standard TCP/IP Port" will be selected and the"WSD port" will be un-selected. Any jobs that are in the print queue will commence (i.e., you might want to delete some pending prints you may have accumulated along the way).

m
l
February 24, 2014 10:10:40 AM

Thanks to the info provided here I was able to narrow down and fix my issue with my Brother HL-2280DW that was experiencing the same issues.

I couldn't find this "wsd port" so I ended up going to my router settings, checking the connections to my router and seeing what my printers IP was, then I changed the IP address in the settings area that is mentioned above.
m
l
April 11, 2014 7:06:33 AM

Sorry to drag this up again, but I have a similar problem that just doesn't want to be fixed.

The printer in question is a Brother MFC-J6510DW all in one. It's connected to 3 different laptops (2 running win7, the other vista) via wireless. All have the latest drivers and the printer is definitely allowed through all firewalls.

Port settings have been checked as per this thread, the IP is static on all machines. But the printer STILL goes offline whenever it feels like it, and then comes back on, seemingly with a mind of its own and completely randomly. It's getting to the stage now however when 'offline' appears to be the norm rather than on, and it's getting incredibly frustrating. I've been through he troubleshoot about a million times and even tried to contact Brother directly, with no response so far.

Any ideas, anyone?
m
l
April 14, 2014 11:48:44 AM

I am having the same thing. My MFC-7840w spends more time offline than not. While offline (which it really isn't), the firmware can't be updated and it can't be reinstalled.

I have used and loved Brother printers for decades, but I've had enough. Can someone recommend a B&W laser printer that doesn't have this issue?

m
l
May 20, 2014 1:06:01 PM

So what IP address are we supposed to type in?
Your post starts out with 192.16....and then stops.
What's the rest of the address?
For this fix to work we need the complete set of directions.
Thanks for your help in this matter.

gfblack said:
TheViper said:

m
l
June 9, 2014 12:53:59 PM

i'm having a similar problem. none of the answers provided here seem to be the case for me.

we have 2 printers locally installed in a windows XP computer, and then we have a windows 7 machine used as a terminal server using the shared printers through the network.
for the past few weeks, the printers will randomly go offline in the windows 7 server, while online and working in the windows XP local server. rebooting the PC solves the problem, but it is now happening very frequently.

the windows XP server has a static IP assigned to it and can be correctly accessed through the network with said IP. however, it is like the printers are rejecting the connection.

I've seen options about deselecting "use printer offline", however there is no such option in the windows 7 server. it jumps from "sharing..." to "properties" in that menu.

this has been driving me nuts and i'm thinking in formatting the windows XP server and reinstalling windows 7 as a last resort, which will be a pain.

none of the steps mentioned in the thread worked for me (in fact, most of these options arent even highlighted for use). any ideas?

EDIT: not sure if coincidence or not, but for completion i tried logging in the windows 7 server locally, rather than using the Remote Desktop connection and the printers appeared as "ready". upon going back to RDC it was still showing as ready and printing normally.
i'll keep an eye on it and try the same thing again in case the problem repeats.
m
l
June 11, 2014 2:01:03 PM

I have the same issue with my wireless brother HL3070CW. It will randomly go offline. I have the ip address set to static and have that IP assigned to each print driver on each computer for this printer. My server hands out IP address and the ip address for the printer is outside the allowable range of IP addresses, so it is not like two items are getting the same address. Furthermore, I am not doing any subnetting, so I know my printer is on the same logical network as everything else.

The way I fix it is to turn the printer off, wait 2 seconds, turn it back on and it works fine as this causes the printer to be re-recognized over the network. I do not have to reinstall any drivers or anything. It would be nice though to have a fix for this. I have called brother, and they told me that this is the nature of wireless (typical its not my fault answer ).
m
l
!