What does it take to make the EE

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
Just wondering but could AMD just pump the FX or AMD 64 with a ton of L1 cash and L2 cash and L3 cash? And then just bump up the price? I mean what really hinders how much cash can be in a CPU besides how much money you would need to thow at it? As from what I have seen the EE is going to be over 1000.00. If you buy 1000 CPU at once you get them for 925.00 or something and normly Distriupters mark up products, and since this is going to be a sell to the rich only they will probly do a pritty nice mark up. right now the FX is 750.00 and with the registed Ram it prices out about the maby 50.00 or so less then the EE but that is if you buy 1000 EE's. So in the end couldn't AMD though some more cash into the L1 and L2 or L3 on the FX and make it the proformace winer?

I'm not trying to say that AMD should do this or that they will but I say the EE is just a thing to try and keep AMD hipe down.

I am not sure about this and I have talked about this before but I still haven't had anyone say anything about it.

I kinda want to know if this true or not and if its not and it takes alot to push Cash into CPUs then I will tip my hat to the EE and say it is a worth CPU of the Crown. If it just takes money to make it and no really R&D then I personly say that the FX is the crown winner.

-------------------------------------------------
Remember what your fighting for, Remember why you even started fighting, and Remember who you are

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
Isn't that the same thing with boosting MHZ in a CPU. And if so why couldn't they release a 3.6 or so. I mean they though alot of CASH at the EE it looks like.

-------------------------------------------------
Remember what your fighting for, Remember why you even started fighting, and Remember who you are

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
cache memory is basically hugely expensive. (think about it - RAM that runs at the same CORE speed as the processor? look at the price difference between PC2100 DDR and PC3200 DDR Ram - and that's only going from 133Mhz to 200Mhz. Whereas with cache you'll need it running @ >2Ghz.

Plus of course adding anything to the die increases the size of it, which means a lot less dies can fit on each wafer, which means a MUCH higher cost to the end user.

And because AMD only have one plant, It's hard for them to make these changes and still produce the 'older' version, for people who don't have tremendously fat wallets.

Intel, on the other hand, Have many plants, and they were already geared up to produce 2Mb-cache Xeons (which are basically the P4 Core) So they needed only make minor modifications (turn off multi-processer support, and stick the Die in a slightly different package) to an existing chip to end up with the P4EE.

So basically, there's no real reason why AMD can't simply shove more cache in their A64s, but they'd have to either sell them at a loss, or price them so high that hardly anyone could afford them.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Anything that'll help competition between the two (AMD/Intel) is good news to me!

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
<A HREF="http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5103819.html?tag=nefd_top" target="_new">Maybe here?</A>

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>