Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Deciding on a Computer Monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 25, 2010 4:22:27 AM

I'm in the market for an LCD screen to connect to my laptop.

I rarely play computer games. I will primarily use the monitor for web browsing and video viewing.

I'd prefer an LED due to the smaller footprint.

I'd like to get something around 22 inches. Will that be too large for something that I will be sitting right in front of?

If not, I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices on Newegg:

Any thoughts on which would be the better buy?

They both have a 5 ms response time and 250 cd/m2 brightness. Some more expensive models have 2 ms response time and 300 cd/m2 brightness. Would it be worth the extra money to go that route? Also, I've also been trying to compare contrast ratios, but some are reported in "ASCR", whereas some are reported in "DC."
a c 195 C Monitor
October 25, 2010 7:31:43 AM

Are you taking about the "footprint" of the base or are you talking about the thickness of the monitor from the side view? The footprint of a LCD with traditional florescent backlight and LED backlight are basically the same given the size of the monitor.

Regarding contrast ratio, ASCR and DC are the same; they are both Dynamic Contrast which is less important than static contrast which is generally 700:1 to 1,000:1. Dynamic Contrast allows companies to advertise "more impressive" numbers. In the end it all comes down to static contrast ratio.

Dynamic Contrast basically changes the baseline contrast for different presets and when you adjust the contrast via the monitor's onscreen display menu, you are adjusting the contrast ratio. Read my review of the Asus VK246H in the following thread specifically the section about Asus' Splendid Modes to get an idea what I am talking about:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/58336-3-official-flat...

Of the two I would choose the Asus VE228H because of my prior experience with an Asus monitor and user reviews of the monitor from Newegg.

I don't think there's much difference between 2ms and 5ms response times.

m
l
October 25, 2010 4:59:30 PM

By smaller footprint, I meant that I would just prefer the slimness of the LED models.

On Newegg.com, I don't see any specs in regards to static contrast. Is there anyplace where I can find this?

As for brightness, will 250 cd/m2 versus 300 cd/m2 make a difference?

Thanks for the help thus far.
m
l
a c 195 C Monitor
October 26, 2010 3:13:47 AM

Try the manufacturer's site.

In all likelihood they many not even provide that anymore because it might confuse potential suckers... I mean consumers... having two different contrast ratios. They like to advertise numbers that are "better". In this case higher contrast ratios are generally "better" than lower contrast ratios.

Just like how LCD response times used to rated at BTW (Black to White) times, but is now rated at GTG (Gray to Gray) times. GTG allows for faster response time quotes 'cause it generally measures the best time it takes to change from one color to another color (except black to white). BTW response times are high because it measures the time it takes for a pixel to go from totally black or "off" to totally white or "on".
m
l
!