Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cannot transfer files with PC Anywhere

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 1, 2005 10:57:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have an XP Pro SP2 machine at a remote site. The machine was working
perfectly until one day when turned on the desktop was blank. The
computer was sent out for repair and when it came back everything was
working again with the following exception.

pcAnywhere 10.5 is installed on the computer. This machine runs the
pcAnywhere host on boot up. PCA is used to connect from a remote site
and download files. Now I can connect with PCA but when I click File
Transfer a dialog appears with Authentication in the title bar and
three edit boxes labeled UserName, Password and Domain. I have tried
entering both the Windows username and password and the PCA username
and password. Both are rejected.

We don't use Remote Desktop for this because I cannot see the remote
PCs drives in Windows Explorer when connected using Remote Desktop and
because copying files in Remote Desktop is unbelievably slow.

This is a small workgroup network. There are no domains. I have never
seen this Authentication prompt when user PCA with other systems. I am
not sure it is a PCA message.

If anyone has any suggestions as to why selecting File Transfer in PCA
causes this Authentication dialog to display please let me know. We are
desperate to get the file download working again. Thanks.

--
..Bill.

More about : transfer files

September 2, 2005 12:15:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Bill wrote:

> I have an XP Pro SP2 machine at a remote site. The machine was working
> perfectly until one day when turned on the desktop was blank. The
> computer was sent out for repair and when it came back everything was
> working again with the following exception.
>
> pcAnywhere 10.5 is installed on the computer. This machine runs the
> pcAnywhere host on boot up. PCA is used to connect from a remote site
> and download files. Now I can connect with PCA but when I click File
> Transfer a dialog appears with Authentication in the title bar and
> three edit boxes labeled UserName, Password and Domain. I have tried
> entering both the Windows username and password and the PCA username
> and password. Both are rejected.
>
> We don't use Remote Desktop for this because I cannot see the remote
> PCs drives in Windows Explorer when connected using Remote Desktop and
> because copying files in Remote Desktop is unbelievably slow.
>
> This is a small workgroup network. There are no domains. I have never
> seen this Authentication prompt when user PCA with other systems. I am
> not sure it is a PCA message.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions as to why selecting File Transfer in PCA
> causes this Authentication dialog to display please let me know. We
> are desperate to get the file download working again. Thanks.
>

It sounds like when it came back from the shop a firewall (possibly just
the Windows Firewall that comes with SP2) was enabled and wasn't set to
allow PCA.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
September 2, 2005 1:05:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for the suggestion. I have uninstalled and reinstalled
pcAnywhere. I checked Windows Firewall to ensure that PCA was checked
as an exaception. I even added the PCA ports individually. The PC has
Norton SystemWorks installed but I disabled its firewall. Until I did
that PCA could not connect at all.

The problem with the firewall theory is that PCA works fine which means
that its ports are open. The Authentication dialog only appears when I
try to transfer files.

Any other ideas? This has really got me stumped.

--
..Bill.

Malke wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
> > I have an XP Pro SP2 machine at a remote site. The machine was
> > working perfectly until one day when turned on the desktop was
> > blank. The computer was sent out for repair and when it came back
> > everything was working again with the following exception.
> >
> > pcAnywhere 10.5 is installed on the computer. This machine runs the
> > pcAnywhere host on boot up. PCA is used to connect from a remote
> > site and download files. Now I can connect with PCA but when I
> > click File Transfer a dialog appears with Authentication in the
> > title bar and three edit boxes labeled UserName, Password and
> > Domain. I have tried entering both the Windows username and
> > password and the PCA username and password. Both are rejected.
> >
> > We don't use Remote Desktop for this because I cannot see the remote
> > PCs drives in Windows Explorer when connected using Remote Desktop
> > and because copying files in Remote Desktop is unbelievably slow.
> >
> > This is a small workgroup network. There are no domains. I have
> > never seen this Authentication prompt when user PCA with other
> > systems. I am not sure it is a PCA message.
> >
> > If anyone has any suggestions as to why selecting File Transfer in
> > PCA causes this Authentication dialog to display please let me
> > know. We are desperate to get the file download working again.
> > Thanks.
> >
>
> It sounds like when it came back from the shop a firewall (possibly
> just the Windows Firewall that comes with SP2) was enabled and wasn't
> set to allow PCA.
>
> Malke
Related resources
September 2, 2005 8:16:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Bill wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. I have uninstalled and reinstalled
> pcAnywhere. I checked Windows Firewall to ensure that PCA was checked
> as an exaception. I even added the PCA ports individually. The PC has
> Norton SystemWorks installed but I disabled its firewall. Until I did
> that PCA could not connect at all.
>
> The problem with the firewall theory is that PCA works fine which
> means that its ports are open. The Authentication dialog only appears
> when I try to transfer files.
>
> Any other ideas? This has really got me stumped.
>

Since I don't use PCA, I don't have one to check. Try calling Symantec
tech support or looking in their Knowledge Base for this error.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/index.html

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
December 28, 2012 9:38:35 AM

You can contact PC Anywhere Technical Support on +1 800 342 0652 or 520 477 3022 in order to resolve your File transfer issue. Alternatively, you can try using other remote support tools such as logmeinrescue, gosupportnow, GoToMyPC etc. in order to have file transfer, remote access of computers etc.
!