Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How many amps is safe to charge my Samsung Galaxy S3?

Tags:
Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
February 20, 2013 11:37:23 PM

I bought a new surge protector for my server at home. Bought one with some USB ports which I thoguht was kind of neat for charging the extra devices around the house. It says that each port supplies 1 Amp of power. I am hesitant to just plug my new smartphone in it though. Can I safely plug my Samsung Galaxy S3 into a 1 Amp USB connection to power it up at night?
a b Ë Android
February 21, 2013 12:41:17 AM

You'll be fine.

Smartphones generally have chargers at supplies between 0.9a (that's 900ma) and 1.1a.
Score
February 21, 2013 1:03:08 AM

jaguarskx said:
You'll be fine.

Smartphones generally have chargers at supplies between 0.9a (that's 900ma) and 1.1a.

Thank you Jag. Rest assured that if my Samsung fries you will NOT be getting a 'Best Answer' out of me. :D 
Score
Related resources
a b Ë Android
February 21, 2013 1:09:13 AM

What's the voltage output of the usb outlets? If it says on the box, or if you have a volt meter let me know.

USB output is typically 5v dc.

Amperage is the measure of how FAST electricity is moving in a circuit. Voltage is the measure of how MUCH electricity is moving in a circuit.

If the voltage is 5v then you'll be entirely fine. If it's higher, you'll either have to use the charger that came with the device or buy a USB adapter that plugs into an outlet.
Score
a b Ë Android
February 21, 2013 1:25:09 PM

Not aware of any USB ports that provides more than 5v.
Score
a b Ë Android
February 21, 2013 9:51:19 PM

If it's built into a surge protector though it could have irregular voltage. It's always best to be on the safe side.
Score
!