Windows Explorer error

Every time I open a folder on my desktop, then attempt to open anything in
that folder, my system pauses then I get the "An error has occured in Windows
Explorer and Windows Explorer has to close." (or something to that effect).

I have no idea what's causing this problem.

I've run a virus scan, run a spyware check, defragged...
What else can I do to fix this extremely frustrating problem???
11
answers
Last reply
More about windows explorer error

    Just to clarify, the message I get is "Windows Explorer has encountered an
    error and needs to close."
    This happens *every* time I open a folder on the desktop then try to
    navigate among the files/folders within it.
    The problem just started happening about a week ago.

    Any ideas? Help please!!!

    Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
    Select Application entry in the left pane
    In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X

    Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
    occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more information
    in the resulting dialog. Click the copy button at the top and copy the whole
    event and paste it to a Notepad document and save it. Post the information
    here.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "HLarge" <HLarge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just to clarify, the message I get is "Windows Explorer has encountered an
    > error and needs to close."
    > This happens *every* time I open a folder on the desktop then try to
    > navigate among the files/folders within it.
    > The problem just started happening about a week ago.
    >
    > Any ideas? Help please!!!

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Error
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1000
    Date: 01/09/2005
    Time: 10:21:13 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HEATHER
    Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
    ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00018fea.

    Data:
    0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
    0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
    0010: 75 72 65 20 20 65 78 70 ure exp
    0018: 6c 6f 72 65 72 2e 65 78 lorer.ex
    0020: 65 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 39 e 6.0.29
    0028: 30 30 2e 32 31 38 30 20 00.2180
    0030: 69 6e 20 6e 74 64 6c 6c in ntdll
    0038: 2e 64 6c 6c 20 35 2e 31 .dll 5.1
    0040: 2e 32 36 30 30 2e 32 31 .2600.21
    0048: 38 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 80 at of
    0050: 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 fset 000
    0058: 31 38 66 65 61 0d 0a 18fea..

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
    > Select Application entry in the left pane
    > In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X
    >
    > Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
    > occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more information
    > in the resulting dialog. Click the copy button at the top and copy the whole
    > event and paste it to a Notepad document and save it. Post the information
    > here.
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "HLarge" <HLarge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Just to clarify, the message I get is "Windows Explorer has encountered an
    > > error and needs to close."
    > > This happens *every* time I open a folder on the desktop then try to
    > > navigate among the files/folders within it.
    > > The problem just started happening about a week ago.
    > >
    > > Any ideas? Help please!!!

    See if this helps:

    Can't access Windows Explorer, Control Panel et al.
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=80536

    --

    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Application Error
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 1000
    > Date: 01/09/2005
    > Time: 10:21:13 PM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: HEATHER
    > Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
    > ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00018fea.

    > Data:
    > 0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
    > 0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
    > 0010: 75 72 65 20 20 65 78 70 ure exp
    > 0018: 6c 6f 72 65 72 2e 65 78 lorer.ex
    > 0020: 65 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 39 e 6.0.29
    > 0028: 30 30 2e 32 31 38 30 20 00.2180
    > 0030: 69 6e 20 6e 74 64 6c 6c in ntdll
    > 0038: 2e 64 6c 6c 20 35 2e 31 .dll 5.1
    > 0040: 2e 32 36 30 30 2e 32 31 .2600.21
    > 0048: 38 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 80 at of
    > 0050: 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 fset 000
    > 0058: 31 38 66 65 61 0d 0a 18fea..
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
    >> Select Application entry in the left pane
    >> In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X
    >>
    >> Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error
    >> exactly
    >> occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more
    >> information
    >> in the resulting dialog. Click the copy button at the top and copy the
    >> whole
    >> event and paste it to a Notepad document and save it. Post the
    >> information
    >> here.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "HLarge" <HLarge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Just to clarify, the message I get is "Windows Explorer has encountered
    >> > an
    >> > error and needs to close."
    >> > This happens *every* time I open a folder on the desktop then try to
    >> > navigate among the files/folders within it.
    >> > The problem just started happening about a week ago.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas? Help please!!!

    Bingo!
    A little surfing from that site you referred me to, and I found the answer I
    needed!
    Apparently all I had to do was go into my Internet Properties and disable
    third party browswer extensions. Not being entirely computer savvy, I'm not
    really sure how this solved the particular problem I was having, but the
    point is that I can now get into my files and folders and with twice the
    speed I was able to open them before all this started.
    Thanks for the helpful advice! : )

    Heather

    Heather,

    If disabling 3rd party browser extension solves the problem, then it was
    caused by a Browser Helper Object (BHO). BHOs load with both iexplore.exe as
    well as explorer.exe (folders) instances. Follow-up with Toolbarcop to
    determine the culprit.

    > Bingo!
    > A little surfing from that site you referred me to, and I found the answer
    > needed!
    > Apparently all I had to do was go into my Internet Properties and disable
    > third party browswer extensions. Not being entirely computer savvy, I'm
    > not
    > really sure how this solved the particular problem I was having, but the
    > point is that I can now get into my files and folders and with twice the
    > speed I was able to open them before all this started.
    > Thanks for the helpful advice! : )
    >
    > Heather

    OK, a little weirdness happening...
    I downloaded Toolbarcop. I enabled 3rd party browser extensions, then ran
    Toolbarcop, then disabled the BHO's one at a time and tried opening files in
    file folders. Weird thing is that no matter which BHO I disabled, I was
    still able to open files normally (without unexpected shutdown of Windows
    Explorer). So even with everything in Toolbarcop reading 'enabled', I'm not
    having the problem I was having before. I can't make any sense of it; I
    haven't changed anything other than disabling the 3rd party browser
    extensions then re-enabling them in order to try to track down the culprit.
    I'm not going to complain that my computer is running properly, but I have to
    admit I'm baffled as to what happened here.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Heather,
    >
    > If disabling 3rd party browser extension solves the problem, then it was
    > caused by a Browser Helper Object (BHO). BHOs load with both iexplore.exe as
    > well as explorer.exe (folders) instances. Follow-up with Toolbarcop to
    > determine the culprit.
    >
    > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=80536
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4126.html
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    Another interesting thing I found with Toolbarcop... there are 2 identical
    Toolbars listed for MSN Search Toolbar:

    MSN Search Toolbar
    Toolbar
    {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0}
    C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar Suite\TB\02.05.0000.1082\en-us\msntb.dll

    One is listed as being implemented by "All Users" and the other as "Current
    User".
    As well, there is a BHO (MSN Search Toolbar Helper) with exactly the same
    information. Any possilble link between these multiple objects and the
    problems I was having with Windows Explorer? (seems to me the problems
    started happening around the time I installed the MSN Search Toolbar)

    >> Any possilble link between these multiple objects and the problems I was
    >> having with Windows Explorer?

    I can't say that for sure. But, it's usually the BHOs that cause the crash
    in explorer and IE environment. Perhaps some more trial-error testing might
    reveal the culprit.

    --

    > Another interesting thing I found with Toolbarcop... there are 2 identical
    > Toolbars listed for MSN Search Toolbar:
    >
    > MSN Search Toolbar
    > Toolbar
    > {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0}
    > C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar Suite\TB\02.05.0000.1082\en-us\msntb.dll
    >
    > One is listed as being implemented by "All Users" and the other as
    > "Current
    > User".
    > As well, there is a BHO (MSN Search Toolbar Helper) with exactly the same
    > information. Any possilble link between these multiple objects and the
    > problems I was having with Windows Explorer? (seems to me the problems
    > started happening around the time I installed the MSN Search Toolbar)

    Well, a little more trial & error and it appears this is the culprit of my
    Windows Explorer crashes:

    CNisExtBho Class
    BHO
    {9ECB9560-04F9-4BBC-943D-298DDF1699E1}
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    Disabled
    All Users

    Looks like it's something to do with the Ad Blocking function in my Norton
    Internet Security... that's the only Symantec program I'm running at the
    moment... will try disabling the AdBlocking feature and re-enabling the BHO
    and see what happens...
    Heather

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > >> Any possilble link between these multiple objects and the problems I was
    > >> having with Windows Explorer?
    >
    > I can't say that for sure. But, it's usually the BHOs that cause the crash
    > in explorer and IE environment. Perhaps some more trial-error testing might
    > reveal the culprit.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    Glad you identified the culprit. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

    --

    > Well, a little more trial & error and it appears this is the culprit of my
    > Windows Explorer crashes:
    >
    > CNisExtBho Class
    > BHO
    > {9ECB9560-04F9-4BBC-943D-298DDF1699E1}
    > C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    > Disabled
    > All Users
    >
    > Looks like it's something to do with the Ad Blocking function in my Norton
    > Internet Security... that's the only Symantec program I'm running at the
    > moment... will try disabling the AdBlocking feature and re-enabling the
    > BHO
    > and see what happens...
    > Heather

    >> I can't say that for sure. But, it's usually the BHOs that cause the
    >> crash
    >> in explorer and IE environment. Perhaps some more trial-error testing
    >> might
    >> reveal the culprit.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP