Sign in with
Your question

Most Powerful VB/Macro Automation Software ??

Last response: in Windows 7
April 8, 2010 2:30:10 AM

If I have posted this query in the wrong section, please accept my apologies. I do, however, need the advice of someone a bit wiser than I. My two OS platforms: Win 7 32 and 64 bit, MS Office 2010 Beta. ;) 

Briefly, what I need to do is automate materials generation for an educational program I have developed. An example of a routine task I hope to automate via macros: Column of 100 words --> randomize the column --> then take the 1st 25 words of the randomized column and insert them into a formatted bingo template --> repeat this procedure for sets of 10, 25 and 50.

The software I have and presumably must choose from is:

1) Macro Scheduler 11
2) Network Automation Automate
3) Workspace Macro Pro
4) Win Automation
5) Expert Macro

This macro must run exclusively within MS Word 2010, hence the visual basic specification. I have read the Macro Scheduler manual and what I like about it is that I can copy/paste custom VB code in it.

If any of you folks suggest a software program that I am unaware of and that you think is better, I can assure you I will not have hurt feelings. I don't want to be right; I just want to get this project moving.

Thank you for any assistance or advice you might have.

Dennis (incurablegeek@yahoo.com)
a c 209 $ Windows 7
April 8, 2010 3:59:21 AM

MS Office installs automation objects that allow you to drive it from any program or scripting language. Depending on your skillset, you could use scripting tools built into Windows 7 (such as Windows Script Host or PowerShell) to instantiate the objects and call their methods in order to get Word or Excel to what you want.

But whether this is easier than the tools you've mentioned I'm afraid I couldn't say...
m
l
April 9, 2010 2:32:55 AM

sminlal said:
MS Office installs automation objects that allow you to drive it from any program or scripting language. Depending on your skillset, you could use scripting tools built into Windows 7 (such as Windows Script Host or PowerShell) to instantiate the objects and call their methods in order to get Word or Excel to what you want.

But whether this is easier than the tools you've mentioned I'm afraid I couldn't say...

Very kind of you to respond. And that way might be easier. Although that is somewhat above my skill set, as just about everything seems to be these days, I'll surely look into it. I tend to have a self-depreciating demeanor, but I tend to be
able to learn what I need to. (It gets me in less trouble than overstating my abilities.)

So thanks again.

Incurablegeek
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 9, 2010 2:46:00 AM

+1 for sminlal.

Also, depending on exactly what you need, it may be easier to write a program to do this in Java or Pearl. You can have a text file with the words (except instead of columns you will have 100 rows divided by a key (ie -----,++++,etc) so you can have the option of changing the words. To me, this seems like a pretty straight forward thing to do with Java.
m
l
April 9, 2010 3:03:20 AM

Shadow703793 said:
+1 for sminlal.

Also, depending on exactly what you need, it may be easier to write a program to do this in Java or Pearl. You can have a text file with the words (except instead of columns you will have 100 rows divided by a key (ie -----,++++,etc) so you can have the option of changing the words. To me, this seems like a pretty straight forward thing to do with Java.

You guys are sure doing your best to open my mind, and I appreciate you ideas and suggestions. Although I don't rule out anything, here is why I prefer to stay w/in Word with VB Macros.

The answer is somewhat straightforward. All the educational materials I have developed, and the volume is considerable, are all done in MS Word - Crossword puzzle templates, bingo templates, etc. I therefore would prefer to stay within Word:

1) Because I have used it for about 20 years and therefore know it well;
2) Word will probably be the easiest format to present to publishers, educators, etc.
3) Years ago one of my students put together a simple VB Macro for randomizing columns of words within Word and without need to jump back and forth from Excel to Word, so I know it can be done. (Btw, it got lost somehow.)

Thanks again and Please feel free to tell me I'm full of it if you think so. I don't bruise easily. :) 
m
l
!