I have two windows directories. Which can I erase?

When I purchased my laptop, I had Windows 2000. About a year ago I
installed XP. Now I have c:\winnt and c:\windows. Can I erase one of those
directories? How do I know which to erase?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about windows directories erase

    If you are not dual-booting both OS's, then you can delete the WinNT folder
    as this is the Windows2000 folder.

    --

    +-- Thief_

    <VMI> wrote in message news:eD6tRM2rFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > When I purchased my laptop, I had Windows 2000. About a year ago I
    > installed XP. Now I have c:\winnt and c:\windows. Can I erase one of
    those
    > directories? How do I know which to erase?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Start/run %windir% to know for sure.

    Likely this is correct that the unused folder is Winnt, but do not make
    assumptions based on the name of the directory. But it is not dangerous, as
    the system will not allow you to delete the Windows directory that is in
    use.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Thief_" <thief_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you are not dual-booting both OS's, then you can delete the WinNT
    > folder
    > as this is the Windows2000 folder.
    >
    > --
    > |
    > +-- Thief_
    > |

    > <VMI> wrote in message news:eD6tRM2rFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> When I purchased my laptop, I had Windows 2000. About a year ago I
    >> installed XP. Now I have c:\winnt and c:\windows. Can I erase one of
    > those
    >> directories? How do I know which to erase?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    <VMI> wrote in message news:eD6tRM2rFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > When I purchased my laptop, I had Windows 2000. About a year ago I
    > installed XP. Now I have c:\winnt and c:\windows. Can I erase one of
    those
    > directories? How do I know which to erase?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Do this:
    1. Click Start / Run / cmd {OK}
    2. Type this:
    set systemroot

    This tells you the name of your current Windows folder. As
    other respondents said, c:\Windows is most likely the home
    for WinXP.

Microsoft Windows XP